Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Corporate Leisure rate - United Corporate Direct - "Break from Business"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Take a Break from Business
While we love flying with you for work, we know that sometimes you need a break - that's why we're offering you (and all employees at your company) a discount on personal travel. Start booking your next adventure on united.com today.

Enjoy a 10% discount
Your company's partnership with United gives you 10% off domestic and varying discounts on international travel, whether you're flying Economy, Business or any cabin in between.*
*Basic Economy fares excluded

Family and friends included
Use your Break from Business discount to book up to nine travelers (including yourself) on the same reservation.

Travel the world
Your Break from Business discounts are valid anywhere United flies.*
*Fly from the U.S. to anywhere in the world, or fly from anywhere in the world to the U.S.

Additional Terms & Conditions
Before you can book Break from Business fares, you need to register to connect your work email to your MileagePlus account.
Valid on united.com while logged in to your MileagePlus account. The "Business travel" checkbox must be unchecked on the united.com homepage to view these discounts. Not yet available on mobile devices.
The Break from Business discount applies to published fares in all cabins and class of service, with the exception of Basic Economy. These fares are not combinable with other discounted fares, such as other private fares.
Subject to normal fare rules as stated on united.com.
Valid on United-marketed flights operated by United Airlines (UA), Lufthansa (LH), Air Canada (AC), and All Nippon Airways (NH). For flights originating in Japan, this discount is only valid on United-operated flights.
Discount valid for U.S. Point of Origin to all destinations and Worldwide Point of Origin to U.S. destinations.
Does not apply to government imposed taxes and fees.
Occasionally the link between Concur and United will break. This can be reset in Concur:
  1. login to Concur
  2. click on the profile icon in the top right
  3. click Profile Settings
  4. click on Frequent-Flyer settings from the left-hand nav
  5. remove your United MP# for 24 hours by clicking on the trash bin icon next to your MP#
  6. then re-add it, wait another 24 hours for it to re-sync to United

related thread -- Corporate booking option on United.com & UA App
Print Wikipost

United Corporate Leisure rate - United Corporate Direct - "Break from Business"

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2021, 11:39 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by alwaysflyingLA
Tried to apply FFC online and it errored out. (It somehow also created a placeholder PNR.)
Tweet'd and called. Both refused to honor the discount. Oh well - the difference is about $15. I just gave up.

The "new" checkout page was horrible! Not to mention that call center wait time is so looooong.
What cfischer had suggested was the right path. The rate desk needs the specific fare designator for your qualifying company in order to apply the discount. Although, sounds like there is a PNR created with the discount, and they could not apply FFC to it?
Old May 25, 2021, 2:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I don't think UA published the end date - this website does reference April 1. I've booked travel after April 1 and received the discount.

PowerPoint Presentation (miami.edu)

"While we love flying with you for work, we know that sometimes you need a break. Your company’s relationship with United gives you access to up to 10% off your personal travel through April 1, 2021."
Thanks Doppy for starting this thread, it saved me a few dollars! My company's main intercompany site had the sign up link and powerpoint description similar to the one HNLbasedFlyer shared. It was hidden through a few layers of menus. Just sharing an updated on when it ends based on my sign up link "While we love flying with you for work, we know that sometimes you need a break. Your company’s relationship with United gives you access to up to 10% off your personal travel when you book by June 30, 2021."
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by PTahCha
What cfischer had suggested was the right path. The rate desk needs the specific fare designator for your qualifying company in order to apply the discount. Although, sounds like there is a PNR created with the discount, and they could not apply FFC to it?
Yes, this auto-created PNR had the discounted fare. (So-I didn't have to do the "pay in person" option.)
Two phone agents both refused to call the rate desk. I also started a twitter conservation, but it ended after the agent stated this wasn't possible. I suggested otherwise, but no replies since. Perhaps I was just not lucky enough to find a helpful and competent agent.
Old May 25, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've noticed that seemingly randomly, my ticket confirmations for personal flights booked on be UA will get sent to my work email even though my personal it's primary. It only happens sometimes so I thought it might have something to do with this. Anyone else encounter this?
Old May 26, 2021, 10:30 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by alwaysflyingLA
Yes, this auto-created PNR had the discounted fare. (So-I didn't have to do the "pay in person" option.)
Two phone agents both refused to call the rate desk. I also started a twitter conservation, but it ended after the agent stated this wasn't possible. I suggested otherwise, but no replies since. Perhaps I was just not lucky enough to find a helpful and competent agent.
Yup - sounds like it. Effectively, for an unused FFC, they recreate the PNR in the old PNR, and ask the rate desk to apply the discount, and collect add-on if necessary.

Originally Posted by eng3
I've noticed that seemingly randomly, my ticket confirmations for personal flights booked on be UA will get sent to my work email even though my personal it's primary. It only happens sometimes so I thought it might have something to do with this. Anyone else encounter this?
Toward the end of the booking process, you'll need to confirm whether the communication email is going to work or personal email address - same with phone number. I caught the work email as default a few times.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
It appears that my employer's Break from Business personal travel fares pull anything from 5-10% discount depending on any given itinerary. Appears US domestic travel is about 5% discount. Better than nothing.

The Corporate discount is much better of course.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
It appears that my employer's Break from Business personal travel fares pull anything from 5-10% discount depending on any given itinerary. Appears US domestic travel is about 5% discount. Better than nothing.

The Corporate discount is much better of course.
Do you have some examples? I find my break from business fares better than my corporate rate.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
How to enroll? Do you need to set your work email primary? I just add my work email and didn't see the business leisure showing.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tomwhom
How to enroll? Do you need to set your work email primary? I just add my work email and didn't see the business leisure showing.
You don't enroll. You either get it via your corporate booking engine tying your frequent flier number in Concur with UA - and when you book on United.com it automatically shows up.
tomwhom likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 12:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
You don't enroll. You either get it via your corporate booking engine tying your frequent flier number in Concur with UA - and when you book on United.com it automatically shows up.
I just enrolled my work email tying my FFN via my company's link not via the corporate booking engine. The link page says: While we love flying with you for work, we know thatsometimes you need a break. Your company’s relationship with United gives you access to up to 10% off your personal travel when you book by December 31, 2021.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I made some changes to flights recently booked through this program. Each time you have to call in and get the agent to talk to the rate desk to apply the discount to the new flight. Took 20-30 minutes to save $20. I apologized for wasting everyone's time for such a small amount of money, but it's not my fault that United's systems don't work.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have some examples? I find my break from business fares better than my corporate rate.
Corporate discount above and Break from Business below transcon RT. The Business/First shows the greatest savings especially as fare class and price goes up. I did a transpacific RT and it was mixed bag like you mentioned above. It appears that it just all depends.

Last edited by CApreppie; Jul 23, 2021 at 10:23 am
Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Corporate discount is very much YMMV, as each contract is different for each company. In theory, corporate discount should only be used for business-related travel, while the Break from Business should only be used for leisure travel, since they affect contract fulfillment requirements.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree - it all depends on the contract each corporation has with United. I wonder how much customization United allows with corporate contracts. I assume the larger the corporate client, the higher chance it is customized.

My employer wants us to use the internal 3rd-party travel booking engine whenever possible so I'd probably be out of policy if I booked it directly on United.com anyways. And they really encourage us to use the corporate-provided credit card. If you don't, you need to always give a reason.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 3:37 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Agree - it all depends on the contract each corporation has with United. I wonder how much customization United allows with corporate contracts. I assume the larger the corporate client, the higher chance it is customized.

My employer wants us to use the internal 3rd-party travel booking engine whenever possible so I'd probably be out of policy if I booked it directly on United.com anyways. And they really encourage us to use the corporate-provided credit card. If you don't, you need to always give a reason.
At a high level, everything is negotiable, and leverage is based on the total UA purchases by the company vs. total travel purchase. The sales person can customize the discount rates to steer additional purchases to UA and their JV partners vs. non-UA, with goals established (e.g., capturing additional 5% of purchases for transcon flights). If goals were met, then additional adjustments are made based on the weak routes. If goals were not met, either they establish new goals, or the additional discounts go away. Hence why using designated channels for booking is important to track these goals, not to mention internal monitoring for compliance of preferred carrier usage.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.