Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Corporate Leisure rate - United Corporate Direct - "Break from Business"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Take a Break from Business
While we love flying with you for work, we know that sometimes you need a break - that's why we're offering you (and all employees at your company) a discount on personal travel. Start booking your next adventure on united.com today.

Enjoy a 10% discount
Your company's partnership with United gives you 10% off domestic and varying discounts on international travel, whether you're flying Economy, Business or any cabin in between.*
*Basic Economy fares excluded

Family and friends included
Use your Break from Business discount to book up to nine travelers (including yourself) on the same reservation.

Travel the world
Your Break from Business discounts are valid anywhere United flies.*
*Fly from the U.S. to anywhere in the world, or fly from anywhere in the world to the U.S.

Additional Terms & Conditions
Before you can book Break from Business fares, you need to register to connect your work email to your MileagePlus account.
Valid on united.com while logged in to your MileagePlus account. The "Business travel" checkbox must be unchecked on the united.com homepage to view these discounts. Not yet available on mobile devices.
The Break from Business discount applies to published fares in all cabins and class of service, with the exception of Basic Economy. These fares are not combinable with other discounted fares, such as other private fares.
Subject to normal fare rules as stated on united.com.
Valid on United-marketed flights operated by United Airlines (UA), Lufthansa (LH), Air Canada (AC), and All Nippon Airways (NH). For flights originating in Japan, this discount is only valid on United-operated flights.
Discount valid for U.S. Point of Origin to all destinations and Worldwide Point of Origin to U.S. destinations.
Does not apply to government imposed taxes and fees.
Occasionally the link between Concur and United will break. This can be reset in Concur:
  1. login to Concur
  2. click on the profile icon in the top right
  3. click Profile Settings
  4. click on Frequent-Flyer settings from the left-hand nav
  5. remove your United MP# for 24 hours by clicking on the trash bin icon next to your MP#
  6. then re-add it, wait another 24 hours for it to re-sync to United

related thread -- Corporate booking option on United.com & UA App
Print Wikipost

United Corporate Leisure rate - United Corporate Direct - "Break from Business"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
When I am searching for personal fares, I make certain that my Business Travel is unchecked, so that I do not get business fares. (This is because any fare I book using the business mode is sent to my business sponsor).

So my simple question is....is your business fare box checked when you look for these "leisure business fares" and does your employer know that this new benefit exists???

I really don't want to spend time explaining to them UA promotions
Old Oct 2, 2020, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Corporate "business" rates, while higher may come with a kickback at EOY to the corporation. Leisure rates wouldn't have that kickback. Basically UA is giving that credit to the employee directly. Also, businesses are committing to a certain amount of corporate spend and if people used the leisure option that wouldn't count toward the required spend, which would erode the discount and impact the kickback. Important to book business rate for business trips and leisure rate for personal trips.
Although fewer and fewer come in the form of rebates -- these are not "kickbacks" as they are paid to the entity making the original payment -- rather than discounts, it would be rare for there to be both a discount and a rebate. Many corporate contracts also allow substitution of passengers without fee or penalty and may also have other flexibility options not present for non-corporate tickets.

What would be most helpful is for someone to do a dummy booking (or even a real one) and pull down the terms & conditions. Without knowing those in full, it is hard to understand what represents good value and how these compare to business corporate fares for the same services.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radonc1
So my simple question is....is your business fare box checked when you look for these "leisure business fares" and does your employer know that this new benefit exists???
These fares appear when that box is unchecked. They do not appear when the box is checked. I have no idea whether or not my companies knows about the benefit. . I'm not looking to buy any airfare at the moment, so I can't tell you whether or not these purchases magically appear in our corporate travel portal, but I doubt it -- none of the trips I've ever purchased with that box disabled have done so.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I'm enrolled but don't see anything coming up. I did look at the before and after price when "Business Travel" is checked and the prices were identical, so I just guess my company doesn't have any discounts anyways.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
I'm enrolled but don't see anything coming up. I did look at the before and after price when "Business Travel" is checked and the prices were identical, so I just guess my company doesn't have any discounts anyways.
Even if you don't see discounts, if you're in the program, you should see text on the search results page telling you that Corporate Leisure fares require the "contract holder" (i.e., employee) to be in the traveling party. If you don't see that, you're presumably not enrolled.

I'm not certain, but this could be tied to United Corporate Preferred. I wonder if this program requires participation at a specific tier or something.

BTW: The discount applied to any fare that you get is part of the fare code. If you have a discounted fare, you'll see the regular fare basis, followed by something that looks like /4N04 (not a real example). The discount percentage is the last two digits -- 4%, in this case.

Many corporate contracts do not include any discount for inexpensive fares. Try searching for a flexible fare, or specifically searching for Y, and you can see whether or not any discounts are appearing.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
This has a HUGE impact for me - my HNL-SFO round trips are reduced about $100, getting as low as $276 in regular economy
There appears to be some kind of blackout date in the program. I went to try to replicate your results and didn't see any discounts at all, as I was searching in December. I moved the dates to April and I also see those prices. However, it's actually closer to a $50 discount: UA has slashed prices on that route, apparently. On one sample trip, what I actually got was a 10% discount in one direction coupled with the BE price (but not BE fare) in the other direction. I think the combinability rules have been loosened on these flights, which is another big win for the customer. ​​​​​​​
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Oct 2, 2020 at 10:33 am
Old Oct 2, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Even if you don't see discounts, if you're in the program, you should see text on the search results page telling you that Corporate Leisure fares require the "contract holder" (i.e., employee) to be in the traveling party. If you don't see that, you're presumably not enrolled.

I'm not certain, but this could be tied to United Corporate Preferred. I wonder if this program requires participation at a specific tier or something.
I don't see the message (as shown in the screenshot above that you referenced). I tried looking at one ways, roundtrips, both near and future, both with the business traveler icon checked and not checked - and nothing. I know our corporate travel policy isn't anything special and I think it's only purpose is concur integration for us - I can add and remove the integration I know via concur. That's why I was wondering if it's not for everyone but only certain companies who are enrolled.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
There appears to be some kind of blackout date in the program. I went to try to replicate your results and didn't see any discounts at all, as I was searching in December. I moved the dates to April and I also see those prices. However, it's actually closer to a $50 discount: UA has slashed prices on that route, apparently. On one sample trip, what I actually got was a 10% discount in one direction coupled with the BE price (but not BE fare) in the other direction. I think the combinability rules have been loosened on these flights, which is another big win for the customer.
I picked what would be a normally be a blackout period - HNL-SFO, 12/21 to 12/28, $388 without discount $331 with leisure discount, not the $100 I saw previously but still an aggressive price.

Maybe blackouts are dependent on the corp contract.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
I don't see the message (as shown in the screenshot above that you referenced). I tried looking at one ways, roundtrips, both near and future, both with the business traveler icon checked and not checked - and nothing. I know our corporate travel policy isn't anything special and I think it's only purpose is concur integration for us - I can add and remove the integration I know via concur. That's why I was wondering if it's not for everyone but only certain companies who are enrolled.
Unfortunately, then, it looks like you're correct. If you're not seeing that message, I suspect your company is excluded. I imagine it's probably part of the "Corporate Preferred" program, at some level.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I picked what would be a normally be a blackout period - HNL-SFO, 12/21 to 12/28, $388 without discount $331 with leisure discount, not the $100 I saw previously but still an aggressive price.

Maybe blackouts are dependent on the corp contract.
Are you seeing the "Corporate Leisure" text on those fares? I see the $331 price, but without the "Corporate Leisure" text. I do see the Corporate Leisure text on the F price, as well as the Flexible price. For me, anyway, the "Corporate Leisure" text showed up on the return flight, but not on the outbound -- and looking at the fare rules, I get a "regular" G fare on the outbound and a discounted K fare on the return.

And, you're absolutely right -- the blackout rules might well be dependent upon the contract. I suspect we're going to be chasing the details down on this for quite a while. But, hey, any discount is a good discount, as far as I'm concerned.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 1:26 pm

Are you seeing the "Corporate Leisure" text on those fares? I see the $331 price, but without the "Corporate Leisure" text. I do see the Corporate Leisure text on the F price, as well as the Flexible price. For me, anyway, the "Corporate Leisure" text showed up on the return flight, but not on the outbound -- and looking at the fare rules, I get a "regular" G fare on the outbound and a discounted K fare on the return.
Now I see what you mean - no corporate leisure in economy on outbound but do have on the inbound hence why a $50 discount and not $100
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Using flight credits towards "break from business"

I seem to be unable to use flight credits (from cancelled reservations) towards "break from business" fares - has anyone has any luck with this (by calling, for example)?
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The inability to use FFC (Future Flight Credit) online for all potential flights or to get the best prices is a long ongoing issue. If unable to see the desired flight when rebooking, you will need to call.

The rebooking online tool has many flaws and is frequently the source of frustration..
cheltzel likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've kind of assumed that FFC is just not going to work for Break from Business, since it doesn't seem like reservations agents can see those fares based on what they've quoted me when I've had to make changes to reservations, but I haven't specifically asked.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
What's "break from business"?
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
What's "break from business"?
Corporate rates that can be used for personal/leisure travel.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Doppy
I've kind of assumed that FFC is just not going to work for Break from Business, since it doesn't seem like reservations agents can see those fares based on what they've quoted me when I've had to make changes to reservations, but I haven't specifically asked.
I have been successful in creating a PNR without paying online and then have the agent sort out in the backend how to use the future flight credit. Worked out since the agent also could not get the fare but once he saw the PNR I had generated it was possible to do this via the rate desk.
Doppy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.