Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is UA blocking some Row 1 domestic F seats for FAs? No longer starting 11 Nov 2020?

Is UA blocking some Row 1 domestic F seats for FAs? No longer starting 11 Nov 2020?

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 11, 20, 8:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA appears to have dropped the FA social distancing seat blocking program on 11 Nov 2020

Originally Posted by cosflyer View Post
i was chatting it up with a ua mainline gate agent in houston and showed her this post....she said that uax aircraft crj200 and erj170/175 and ua mainline 737 have "hard blocked" ....seats 1c/d on uax crj200,erj170/175 and 1e/f on the 737 can not be used(hard blocked) and on the 319/320 1 b/e can be used if needed(soft blocked) the reason she said that uax seats are blocked is that the distance from the galley to row 1 is relatively short and thats why those seats are hard blocked and on the 737 there are 2 f/a seated in the forward jumpseat so on takeoff and landing they can be socially distanced.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 13, 20, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by rotnkornkid View Post
Took two flights this past week. SFO to PDX on a 737... first was completely full. PDX to SFO on A320... someone cleared into 1B. I ended up having the only empty first class seat next to me (was in 1F), which was wonderful

It seems at this point to be totally random/inconsistent?
Inconsistent is UA's middle name
rotnkornkid likes this.
Old Oct 13, 20, 11:32 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
1B/1E

We were upgraded to 1B/1E on a flight from DEN-DCA on Thursday. Airbus 319
Old Oct 14, 20, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I have been able to confirm 1B on a few of my recent flights the past month or so. In all cases 1E was blocked. So it appears that at least one of the two are assignable.
Old Oct 22, 20, 11:42 am

no more blocks starting November?

Are the seat blocks going away after this month? Without having done a systematic review, I don't see them on 737 / Airbus flights from November onwards.
Old Oct 22, 20, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Are the seat blocks going away after this month? Without having done a systematic review, I don't see them on 737 / Airbus flights from November onwards.
I don't count on anything except for being in my assigned seat. Coin toss on "blocking".
Old Oct 22, 20, 12:16 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
1E and 1F were blocked on my flight (IAD-SAN) on Tuesday and one of the flight attendants sat there for take off and landing.

1D was blocked on my flight (MSY-IAD) on Tuesday.

However, my flights the week before (SAN-IAH and IAH-MSY) no seats were blocked.
Old Oct 22, 20, 12:20 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver
I am flying IAH-SAT on an A320 in mid December and they are blocked on that flight.
Old Oct 22, 20, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by VRFast View Post
I am flying IAH-SAT on an A320 in mid December and they are blocked on that flight.
Sorry, I realise I was imprecise with the question. Actually I meant, have they stopped blocking inventory after October?

From what I see, the 1EF or 1BE seats do appear blocked from assignment, but inventory is not being reduced by two for the 737. (Inventory currently is not being reduced for Airbus, so that part is moot.)
VRFast likes this.
Old Oct 22, 20, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
1E/F blocked on both HNL-SFO and SFO-LAS today
Old Oct 22, 20, 8:30 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
1E/F blocked on both HNL-SFO and SFO-LAS today
And on my ORD-LAS today (737-900).
Old Nov 10, 20, 8:56 pm

Upgrade list - no longer showing blocked?

Hi - I have notice that the upgrade lists no longer show (+2 blocked) or whatever they used to show. However, looking at seat maps, it seems the seats are still blocked, if that makes sense. For example, I see Capacity 12 and Booked at 9 and only one seat available on the map. And have checked other flights and see the same like Capacity 16 and Booked at 14 and no seat available on the map. However, if I try to book then am seeing J3 and J2, respectively.

Am I misreading the list? I know maps are not reliable but checked a few flights. Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 20, 9:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Isn't this the standard blocking for FA distancing? such as blocking 1EF on 737s.

The +X, is generally a sign of overbooked economy.
Old Nov 10, 20, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat
United Will Stop Blocking Seats For Flight Attendants for Social Distancing

United will stop COVID related first class blocks for narrow body flights.
Old Nov 10, 20, 9:04 pm

But the app no longer shows the (+2 blocked). It seems they are blocking but not showing that they are. So for flight tomorrow where it is 9 booked but 12 capacity, I would normally assume 3 seats would clear. My guess is only 1 will because the actual capacity is 10. I may be wrong. But, if I am right, this is more confusing especially if one does not know which aircraft have the blocked seats.

Or maybe I reading things wrong.
Old Nov 10, 20, 9:05 pm

I missed that. Thanks. But odd that map showing only one seat available and upgrade list showing three. Again, I know that one cannot rely on the map but usually shows more available seats than actual and not less.

Originally Posted by ual744777sta View Post
United will stop COVID related first class blocks for narrow body flights.
Thanks! I meant to quote you in my reply above.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 10, 20 at 9:15 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member

Search this Thread
Search Engine: