Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is UA blocking some Row 1 domestic F seats for FAs? No longer starting 11 Nov 2020?

Is UA blocking some Row 1 domestic F seats for FAs? No longer starting 11 Nov 2020?

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 11, 20, 8:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA appears to have dropped the FA social distancing seat blocking program on 11 Nov 2020

Originally Posted by cosflyer View Post
i was chatting it up with a ua mainline gate agent in houston and showed her this post....she said that uax aircraft crj200 and erj170/175 and ua mainline 737 have "hard blocked" ....seats 1c/d on uax crj200,erj170/175 and 1e/f on the 737 can not be used(hard blocked) and on the 319/320 1 b/e can be used if needed(soft blocked) the reason she said that uax seats are blocked is that the distance from the galley to row 1 is relatively short and thats why those seats are hard blocked and on the 737 there are 2 f/a seated in the forward jumpseat so on takeoff and landing they can be socially distanced.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 30, 20, 6:15 pm
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
With all due respect, 1B/E are blocked on Airbuses while 1E/F are indeed blocked on 737s. No seats are blocked on the 753s. A quick check on EF confirms that.
Correct. Every flight I have been on an Airbus 319/320 1B/E are blocked. 1E/F are blocked on all 737 flights. They will put a paying passenger there but will not upgrade anyone into those seats. Flights often go out J2 with a long uncleared upgrade list.
Old Sep 30, 20, 6:19 pm

1C is blocked on E175, so if As are occupied, then 1D would be the next ideal seat.
Old Sep 30, 20, 6:23 pm

E175, 1C is blocked.
Old Sep 30, 20, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by UAFAM View Post
E175, 1C is blocked.
Not if UA can sell it
Old Sep 30, 20, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Not if UA can sell it
Completely true.
Old Oct 1, 20, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1k 1.5 MM
Both my wife and I have been on Airbus 319/320 flights in the past 2 months where people were upgraded into 1B and 1E. In June, July, and into August, we were selecting 1A and 1F regularly on these flights because we found that they were leaving 1B and 1E open. That is no longer true - they will fill 1B and 1E as needed with paying or upgraded passengers. Those seats may appear to be blocked when you book, but they may eventually be filled. I remember the first time it happened to my wife in August. She texted me and said "upgrade list shows someone upgraded into 1E". She was in 1F on that flight. My response was "it was too good to last".
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.

Last edited by MysteryTour; Oct 1, 20 at 11:28 am
Old Oct 1, 20, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by MysteryTour View Post
Both my wife and I have been on Airbus 319/320 flights in the past 2 months where people were upgraded into 1B and 1E. In June, July, and into August, we were selecting 1A and 1F regularly on these flights because we found that they were leaving 1B and 1E open. That is no longer true - they will fill 1B and 1E as needed with paying or upgraded passengers. Those seats may appear to be blocked when you book, but they may eventually be filled. I remember the first time it happened to my wife in August. She texted me and said "upgrade list shows someone upgraded into 1E". She was in 1F on that flight. My response was "it was too good to last".
It seems like this topic should be closed, as it is clear there is no policy of blocking. It feels like it always has in first class.
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by wunderpit View Post
It seems like this topic should be closed, as it is clear there is no policy of blocking. It feels like it always has in first class.

There is in fact a policy of blocking, but it is not being consistently implemented. To me that is the situation in which a discussion thread is most useful.
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by fumje View Post

There is in fact a policy of blocking, but it is not being consistently implemented. To me that is the situation in which a discussion thread is most useful.
Sorry then. Link?
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by wunderpit View Post
Sorry then. Link?
Expertflyer can show the blocked seats. See post 30 summarising 73x vs. 319/320.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Gate agents have always had the discretion to clear upgrades into the blocks, at least since my "original" post.
Old Oct 1, 20, 2:05 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
The "policy" is inconsistently applied. I book 1F and many times 1D (or it may be 1E) is empty and then other times there is someone sitting there. I asked the pilot (since he was standing next to me) the first time there was someone in the seat next to me and he said if United could sell the seat they would.

My thought was that for a policy that I thought was meant to provide protection for employees it was a sad day that a corporation was willing to make money vs the safety of their employees and then my next thought was well it probably does not really protect the employees.

I continue to book 1F and sometimes there is someone next to me and at other times there is no one next to me. My most recent seatmate had been upgraded into the seat next to me and I am wondering if status may determine the upgrade for the seat? Pure speculation on my part.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
EWR > SAN this morning, 1E/F blocked, used by FA for maybe 5 mins during takeoff and landing - rest of time spent in galley chit-chatting while not social distancing. Plane 99% full. No upgrades with reduced inventory. Further devaluation of PlusPoints.
nnn likes this.
Old Oct 3, 20, 8:52 am

Blocking 2 first class seats on most flights?

Wife and I got upgraded to 1A/F i advance for a flight today.

App showed 10 of 12 booked in first...but all seats taken on map so asked the agent if there was an aisle or seats together.

She said they’re blocking the two aisles in row 1 for FA COVID distancing.

When we boarded gate agent said she notified the FAs to see if they’d let us sit adjacent.

Nothing mentioned to us by FAs when we got on board but heard the captain come out and ask the FAs if things were sorted with first class seating. They said all fine.

Checked other flights today and they’re mostly showing +2 blocked on the notation.

Not flying as much as before all this but don’t remember this last flights.

Was this some concession to go along with the furloughs?
Old Oct 3, 20, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
Mainline aircraft generally have two seats blocked for physical distancing from FA who has to sit at the 1L door for takeoff/landing. ERJ/CRJ generally have 1B blocked while Airbii have 1B/1E blocked and apparently 737s have 1E/F blocked.

Some airports/FAs allow those seats to go out occupied either through normal gate processing or they upgrade a friend while on the plane. I've seen both. I've also been the recipient of sitting in 1E on a near transcon because I would have misconnected on my original itinerary.

-RM

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 3, 20 at 12:18 pm Reason: cleanup after merge

Search this Thread
Search Engine: