Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Website change: can no longer edit search from search results screen

Old Sep 27, 20, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)

As the thread states, United has made a change to their website today and it sucks IMO. When looking at the flight search results page you can no longer edit your search from that page. You must now click the "Edit Search" button which loads an entirely different page and takes time. It's the advanced search page that loads. I am not happy about this at all. I sit on United.com and search for trips easily by changing my destination airport and keeping my origin and dates the same. Now I have to click buttons, wait for pages to load, change the data and then click search again. In the past I could simply enter the three character airport code and click search. Easy.

-RM
Old Sep 27, 20, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
As the thread states, United has made a change to their website today and it sucks IMO. When looking at the flight search results page you can no longer edit your search from that page. You must now click the "Edit Search" button which loads an entirely different page and takes time. It's the advanced search page that loads. I am not happy about this at all. I sit on United.com and search for trips easily by changing my destination airport and keeping my origin and dates the same. Now I have to click buttons, wait for pages to load, change the data and then click search again. In the past I could simply enter the three character airport code and click search. Easy.

-RM
I was having other issues with the site yesterday. Hopefully these issues are temporary.
Old Sep 27, 20, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Total Wine & More Reserve
I noticed it yesterday also. And they didn't even have that Edit Search button available then. Had to go back to the homepage to start each search again.
Old Sep 28, 20, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K
Temporary? I see what I usually see; no search box.
Old Sep 28, 20, 1:41 am

Programs: HH Dia, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
The mobile app has been that way for as long as I can recall. Extremely frustrating to start over at step 1 when all you would like to do is change a city.
EWR764 and halls120 like this.
Old Sep 28, 20, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevflyer View Post
Temporary? I see what I usually see; no search box.
No, still the 'new' way this morning. I suspect United is rolling this change out slowly to their web servers and some haven't been patched yet if others are not seeing this 'enhanced' functionality yet.

Originally Posted by traveling bijorn View Post
The mobile app has been that way for as long as I can recall. Extremely frustrating to start over at step 1 when all you would like to do is change a city.
Yep, which is exactly why I *never* use the mobile app to search for tickets or even book them. The other bug in the mobile app is that when you book a ticket through it you cannot remove your mobile # so you automatically start getting a million text messages from United that "your ticket is booked", "don't forget to check in", "your flight leaves in 2 hours" etc etc etc. At least when I book via the web I only have to get those via email.

-RM
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 28, 20, 7:45 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
You also used to be able to right click (or center click) and open the itinerary. But now it makes you fully click on it, which makes you fully navigate away from the page where all itineraries are listed. Used to be easy to check your (in normal times) multitude of itineraries, opening them in a new tab/window; but now you can only do them 1-by-1. Kind of annoying. (This change has been a while, at least a year or so, but I didn't otherwise see it discussed here).
EWR764 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 28, 20, 8:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yep. Strong dislike on this change.
Old Sep 28, 20, 8:32 am

Not seeing any change myself. Hopefully this thread will count as negative feedback.

For what it's worth, I find it easier to edit the URL to update my search than to use the boxes at the top of the page.
RobOnLI and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 28, 20, 11:54 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Not seeing any change myself.
Don't see the change either on different browsers.
rch4u and VRFast like this.
Old Sep 28, 20, 2:08 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
You also used to be able to right click (or center click) and open the itinerary. But now it makes you fully click on it, which makes you fully navigate away from the page where all itineraries are listed. Used to be easy to check your (in normal times) multitude of itineraries, opening them in a new tab/window; but now you can only do them 1-by-1. Kind of annoying. (This change has been a while, at least a year or so, but I didn't otherwise see it discussed here).
This drives me bizonkerz! I received a DM from a United personnel after I complained bitterly about this change when it first rolled out, and I explained exactly how this interferes with the workflow you just related. They said they understood & hoped it would be fixed. Obviously never was...
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Sep 28, 20, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marr. Gold
Plethora of text messages
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by RobOnLI View Post
I *never* use the mobile app to search for tickets or even book them. The other bug in the mobile app is that when you book a ticket through it you cannot remove your mobile # so you automatically start getting a million text messages from United that "your ticket is booked", "don't forget to check in", "your flight leaves in 2 hours" etc etc etc. At least when I book via the web I only have to get those ​​​​​​via email.
That is exactly what happened during my Jan-Feb trip to MNL. Thank you for this helpful booking tip to avoid the app.
Old Sep 29, 20, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I still don't see that search change when I go to the website
Old Sep 29, 20, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat (21 yrs elite), B9, AA
Originally Posted by econ View Post
I noticed it yesterday also. And they didn't even have that Edit Search button available then. Had to go back to the homepage to start each search again.
Same here, when I was searching last week or over this past weekend. Today it's back to the old, preferred display.
Old Oct 7, 20, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

It's back again. Started tonight.

And a new change this afternoon is you now see the "new" formatted seat maps when doing a flight search and click on Seat map. I don't like the new seat map at all. Much harder to read IMO.

-RM

Search this Thread
Search Engine: