Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on 2022 Premier Qualification Requirements?

Old Aug 31, 2020, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond

As companies extend business travel bans deeper into 2021 (it seems many companies that weren't allowing business travel in Q1 have now pushed to Q2), do you think UA will finally let status expire out or will they adjust again for 2022 to preserve the non-flying elite ranks?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 1:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
As companies extend business travel bans deeper into 2021 (it seems many companies that weren't allowing business travel in Q1 have now pushed to Q2), do you think UA will finally let status expire out or will they adjust again for 2022 to preserve the non-flying elite ranks?
When they announced the original extension they said they will make earning status in 2021 easier as well, details to be shared late 2020. My guess is at least 25% reduction of tier qualifying requirements if not 50% again.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Also wondering whether they'll extend 1/21 expiring plus points for the full year (i.e., through Jan 2022).
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Here is my forecast - based on Kirby going full-on punish-the-cheap-customer mode and using this opportunity to get rid of as many high cost low margin customers as possible to rework the Mileage Plus program

1. 1K benefits are enhanced but 1K becomes GS-lite and is transitioned to invitation-only based on margin contribution and overall spend
2. the Premier Platinum tier is eliminated
3. the tier requirements for Gold and Silver are increased and qualification is restricted to certain fare classes
4. Gold benefits are tightened up and no lounge access is permitted through MP or any *G program without an international origin or destination on the itinerary, not including Canada or Mexico, plus US resident Gold members of other *G airlines will not receive most Gold benefits when traveling on wholly domestic United itineraries to plug the loophole of using other-airline status
5. not MP specific, but I could also see United rip out 50% of the Polaris seats (i.e. one cabin section on the 773) and replace them with more premium Y and regular Y seats.

Of course most of us agree we don’t want to see any of this happen, but I just see United management deciding to punish loyal customers who stop showing up to spend, and deciding it’s better to fill flights with lower margin, zero cost customers.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Of course most of us agree we don’t want to see any of this happen, but I just see United management deciding to punish loyal customers who stop showing up to spend, and deciding it’s better to fill flights with lower margin, zero cost customers.
You would have made the exact same forecast every year since the merger, at a minimum. It hasn't happened yet.

I suspect the idea of trying to "punish customers" exists only on FT.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
You would have made the exact same forecast every year since the merger, at a minimum. It hasn't happened yet.

I suspect the idea of trying to "punish customers" exists only on FT.
this is how Baldanza trained his team to approach the customer relationship, and what that obnoxious moron Hunter Keay has been screeching about for years. Of course I don’t want to see any of this happen, but as the effects of this cut in travel spend lingers for what will be years, I suspect Kirby will decide to reshape the entire model of how United operates and its relationship with customers, especially those customers who are higher cost.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:50 am

I think this period is one of the upsides to capitalism. It reminds all the financial wizards who infect the corporate world that it isn't all about raising prices and seeing customers as adversaries. A bit of karma is good for long term business.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:52 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by DEN
If I’m going to change airline loyalty, now is probably the time to do it. I’ve got 16 months to earn status with another airline or Airline alliance before my 1K benefits expire.
Curious to see what the new thresholds will be to achieve +Points in 2021 for 2022...
Air Houston likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
It would make sense to see it expire, why keep the extra baggage of OPM who are flying less, these are not loyal customers - their flying entirely depends on the needs of their employer. Reward only the OPM that are flying in 2021, and/or award statuses to their best/most profitable coroprate customers (apple, etc)
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
It would make sense to see it expire, why keep the extra baggage of OPM who are flying less, these are not loyal customers
My lack of flying has nothing to do with business travel nor a lack of loyalty, but rather the fact that there's no place that I need to be badly enough to wear a mask to do it.

Furthermore, airline status has nothing to do with loyalty anyway; MileagePlus is a marketing program that is designed to create an incentive to choose UA/*A on future flights. UA could well decide that someone who has flown frequently in the past is still a customer worth pursuing. And while you may not care for people spending OPM, from UA's perspective, they would much rather deal with customers who are less likely to be price-sensitive.
Lynnie_Bee likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu
It would make sense to see it expire, why keep the extra baggage of OPM who are flying less, these are not loyal customers.
There is minimal cost to UA in keeping these former frequent flyers on the rolls, but great potential opportunity cost in axing them.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
There is minimal cost to UA in keeping these former frequent flyers on the rolls, but great potential opportunity cost in axing them.
This is not how Kirby and his minions think - the more frequent flyers, the higher the cost of keeping them as customers. They don't pay fees, they sit in F or J for free, they require special phone lines and staffing, and real estate at the airport counter. Ideally in the Baldanza way of thinking, there are no frequent flyers, but everyone is the same - a zero cost customer who is forced to pay through the nose for a comprehensive package of services attached to their air travel experience.

If United can fill their aircraft with low cost customers paying retail rates, and these people are paying fees for beverages, food, bags and other services, along with other low cost customers who pay outright for the premium cabin, they probably feel that Elite customers are more trouble and cost than they're worth.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Presumably UA can run the actual numbers and decide accordingly.
Air Houston and Lynnie_Bee like this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is not how Kirby and his minions think - the more frequent flyers, the higher the cost of keeping them as customers. ...They don't pay fees, they sit in F or J for free, they require special phone lines and staffing, and real estate at the airport counter. ...
They only cost something if they are actually flying. If they are not flying at all, then there is zero cost to let them keep their status in the hopes that when things open up again, maybe sometime next year, they will fly on United rather than another airline.

Who knows what United will do, but I would bet that they try to keep their existing elites until things start to return to normal.
nnn likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
They only cost something if they are actually flying. If they are not flying at all, then there is zero cost to let them keep their status in the hopes that when things open up again, maybe sometime next year, they will fly on United rather than another airline.
This current line of discussion is actually about next year, when ‘things open up’ not about now when hardly anyone is flying.

There is a reference to the fact that some companies would still restrict travel going well into next year. This might be at a time when the Coronavirus situation has significantly improved and some of these employees start personal travel or very limited work travel - but not enough to maintain previous status.

My point is that there will probably be more than ‘zero cost’ to maintaining elite levels for another year. I guess as SPN Lifer suggested UA will do the figures and decide if it’s worth extending status for another year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.