Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on 2022 Premier Qualification Requirements?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on 2022 Premier Qualification Requirements?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Details for AA

Originally Posted by IAHMCI
It looks like AA has announced what they are doing.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...-changes-2021/
Here are the AAdvantage elite requirements for 2021:
  • Gold status will require 20,000 EQMs OR 20 EQSs AND 2,000 EQDs
  • Platinum status will require 40,000 EQMs OR 40 EQSs AND 4,500 EQDs
  • Platinum Pro will require 60,000 EQMs OR 70 EQSs AND 7,000 EQDs
  • Executive Platinum will require 80,000 EQMs OR 95 EQSs AND 12,000 EQDs

I guess that United will reduce the thresholds by 25% or more, instead of 20% for AA.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Will UA MP respond to AA's elite qualification incentives?

Hola! If you see over on AA, or have received the email, then you know that AA have made some meaningful "enhancements" - and senores, not in that bad old way that we are used to lol.

Especifically:
  • Reduced thresholds of EQP/EQM for all tiers
  • Elite qualifying activity in Q4 2020 counts for 2021 qualification
  • Cobrand credit card spend of 30k waives flight EQD requirements for Gold/Plat/PPRO.
Sensible I think. A program development that is useful to customers for the first time in years.

Sooo....what does UA do now? Senores y jefes if you are reading this then do something quick.... before we all buy lots of AA travel! LOL!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 14, 2020 at 1:11 pm Reason: Moved to existing discussion
Old Oct 14, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
Hola! If you see over on AA, or have received the email, then you know that AA have made some meaningful "enhancements" - and senores, not in that bad old way that we are used to lol.

Especifically:
  • Reduced thresholds of EQP/EQM for all tiers
  • Elite qualifying activity in Q4 2020 counts for 2021 qualification
  • Cobrand credit card spend of 30k waives flight EQD requirements for Gold/Plat/PPRO.
Sensible I think. A program development that is useful to customers for the first time in years.

Sooo....what does UA do now? Senores y jefes if you are reading this then do something quick.... before we all buy lots of AA travel! LOL!
Still waiting for UA to respond to AA residual change credit vouchers, basic economy preferred seating and upgrades, free Canada changes, million miler spending from credit cards...
AA has been killing it with their pandemic response.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
AA dropped their EQD requirement by $3k for EXP. So I'm guessing UA match by dropping 1K qualification from 18k with PQF to 15k with PQF
Old Oct 14, 2020, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
If they could magically move to *A I’d consider them. Maybe
Old Oct 14, 2020, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA's requirements are very generous it seems to me!
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Doppy
Assuming people (especially OPM) can fly in 2021....
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
1H’21 is going to be pretty much shot. Those AA markers are a bit of wishful thinking.

I hope UA waits a bit longer and responds with something more attainable and realistic.

Though incentivizing activity in Q420 as part of it is a good idea.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Not terribly impressed, and realistically speaking, I think AA (and the others, if they come out at similar levels) will have to cut status attainment levels even further. The idea that flying is going to pick up meaningfully in the first half of 2021, much less the rest of the year, is a pipe dream.
Indeed - Microsoft just announced its entire workforce can now work from home, no more time in the office is expected. I know people who work there, travel is cut back dramatically, and now no one needs to go into the office. I do know at least one commercial real estate agent who is starting to panic, although looking ahead I expect at least in California, a push to transform abandoned office space into affordable housing and/or shelter space will come out of this in the long run.

A little trim here and there on re-qualification isn't going to do the trick when few people will be anywhere near those spend and distance thresholds for who-knows-how-long (like years and years). The AA offer is nice, but it looks to me like they still don't "get it" and will need to go back to the drawing board.
Spiff and EWRSNA like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
TSA number have been climbing significantly in absolute numbers in the past few weeks (up 17% in the past 3 weeks), there does seem to be some return of travel BUT still just 35% (7 day average) of 2019 (vs 31% three weeks ago). Strongest increase since June.

Long way to go but one would think this is mostly business travel this time of year. (but not me )

AA (and WN?) seems to be betting on a sooner return to normal and DL seems to be the most pessimistic. UA in the middle.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 14, 2020 at 5:38 pm
Old Oct 14, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: United
United Club Card — spending benefits toward 1K

I would love if United unshackled the caveat about PQM earned via Chase spending levels not counting toward 1K status...I’d be there now, if it weren’t for this oddity...
Old Oct 14, 2020, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
TSA number have been climbing significantly in absolute numbers in the past few weeks (up 17% in the past 3 weeks), there does seem to be some return of travel BUT still just 35% (7 day average) of 2019 (vs 31% three weeks ago). Strongest increase since June.
Flew into EWR last weekend from SFO and then back across to LAX(Friday/Monday). First time I've flown during this thing that the airports felt pretty similar to pre-Covid.

Hope that Q4 PQ activity rolls over. YTD I'm just shy of 3k PQPs with 8 flights. No way it's worth it to stretch for Gold considering what next year will probably look like.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:23 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Still waiting for UA to respond to AA residual change credit vouchers, basic economy preferred seating and upgrades, free Canada changes, million miler spending from credit cards...
AA has been killing it with their pandemic response.
Originally Posted by kevflyer
AA dropped their EQD requirement by $3k for EXP. So I'm guessing UA match by dropping 1K qualification from 18k with PQF to 15k with PQF
Originally Posted by Doppy
How much has AA's passenger revenues and bookings fallen compared to UA and DL?

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
1H’21 is going to be pretty much shot. Those AA markers are a bit of wishful thinking.

I hope UA waits a bit longer and responds with something more attainable and realistic.

Though incentivizing activity in Q420 as part of it is a good idea.

Or are they just waiting on what DL is going to do? Though UA only copies DL on devaluation, not on making adjustments in the opposite direction from devaluation because of the pandemic.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
It would be interesting if UA lowered the 2022 qualification requirements and raised the CC incentives. I could see some form of that working for me.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
It would be interesting if UA lowered the 2022 qualification requirements and raised the CC incentives. I could see some form of that working for me.
UA doesn't offer credit cards in many significant markets outside of the US, so while credit card incentives may work for US customers, UA has a considerable customer base outside the US, and this wouldn't be accessible to most of their international customers. If credit cards are a major part of making status easier to obtain in 2021, this is likely to main it harder to obtain for foreign customers outside the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.