Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Considering a "Pay WIth Miles" Option?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2020, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Received a survey from MP and one portion was about using miles to reduce the cost of a ticket. Been wondering when they would implement that.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by TomMM
Received a survey from MP and one portion was about using miles to reduce the cost of a ticket. Been wondering when they would implement that.
Great news if it happens, assuming it'll be better than the 1 CPM you can get from Chase to pay your CC bill for UA purchases.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 12:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
PMUA has this option and other carriers have this. UA is looking for any method to encourage travel. And leisure travel seems to be a target market which fits as "pay with miles" probably is primarily fpr leisure travelers (not solely, just primarily)
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Great news if it happens, assuming it'll be better than the 1 CPM you can get from Chase to pay your CC bill for UA purchases.
I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed that it would be exactly one cent per mile.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
Upgrading using miles is a crude way of accomplishing that. Say you want to fly SFO-FRA roundtrip, nonstop in business in early October. Lowest available fare (D) seems to be around $11.2K. On the other hand, for about $3.2K, you can get a very flexible B-fare that can be upgraded for 40K miles with no co-payment. (You can save a couple of hundred with a less flexible fare.) Upgrades seem readily available. Using 40K miles saves you about $8K i.e. about 20 cents/mile. I did this one last month and I thought it was pretty good value for the miles I used, especially since the trip yielded way more miles than I spent due to various bonuses.
SPN Lifer and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Sep 26, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got the survey and for every answer I emphasized that cash value being assigned to the miles as being the most important factor.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by zombietooth
​​​​​​
I'd assume a best case value of 1cpm, appealing to customers that do not have a Chase card.

I am not UA so I didn't get a survey but the key in my opinion is that it would count as cash, so earn PQP unlike an award.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Gig103
​​​​​​ I'd assume a best case value of 1cpm, appealing to customers that do not have a Chase card.
Valuation is everything here. Stingy rates can actually make customers madder. BA permits you to reduce the price of a flight by applying some or all of your Avios balance, but the contextual value is so low, it just makes you even more irritated with BA, if such a thing is possible.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: CO Gold
lifemiles lets me use my miles to pay a lot of stuff, from gas to my gym membership...not a great way to use miles but in this day and age many of us have huge stock of miles and nowhere to go
Old Sep 27, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by BearX220
Valuation is everything here. Stingy rates can actually make customers madder. BA permits you to reduce the price of a flight by applying some or all of your Avios balance, but the contextual value is so low, it just makes you even more irritated with BA, if such a thing is possible.
Similarly, American Express offers the option to pay with MR points at Amazon, with a lousy return of 0.6cpm (excluding promotions, such as the "$20 off $50 when paying with points" one that is active). It's a worse ROI than Delta Skypesos!
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
PMUA had this option, at least for a while. It was generally a terrible deal, at least everything I saw, though I don’t remember exactly how it worked in terms of value. But much worse than just using cash or just using an award.

I doubt value these days would be any better than current award rates. Given awards are generally less valueable than they were in the past, I hardly see this being worthwhile.

IIRC, I believe using this option in the past with UA also meant you could not earn any mileage on the ticket at all, making the value even worse for those trying to earn status.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Actually PMUAs Cash+Miles had some nice options pre 3/3/12. I wish that had been retained like most everything about PMUA.

Travel didn’t earn miles but giving customers options is generally a good thing. Especially when you don’t have quite enough to do an all miles ticket.

I recall $75 + 12,500 for domestic RTs. I’m sure that varied based on route and date
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.