Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Pre-flight COVID Testing for SFO-Hawai'i (and other destinations)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For general discussion of the Hawai'i test-out program and /or discussion of non-UA partners (CVS, Walgreens, your local provider, ....), please use COVID-19 - 14-Day Trans-Pac Arrivals Quarantine/Oct. 15 [Target] Pre-Arrival Test-Out

United Airlines Becomes First U.S. Carrier to Make COVID-19 Tests Available to Customers
1) Day of Travel Rapid Test option
GoHealth Urgent Care will offer at airport COVID testing for UA passengers traveling to Hawaii starting Oct 15 photos

Appointments ??? Hawaii SFO COVID-19 Testing ??? (unverified)

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I watched an interview with a representative from the testing company on Fox News today. The takeaways I got were:

- Test will be administered land side, not airside
- Part of the "agreement" is that a positive test will be shared with the local health authority and you will be unable to get through security, let alone board a plane
- The results are NOT shared with UA (or subsequently any other airline partner).
-A positive test will get you sent home if you are local or into local quarantine if not
- The test and paperwork take less than 20 minutes to process and get a result
- The intent is to expand to other airports and other airlines once the pilot is successfully rolled out
- There was no discussion of cost
- Connecting passengers would need to go landside for the test. If the test is positive UA would be notified to offload bags if necessary. That is the only "involvement" with UA

Those were the salient points that I remember. Others who saw the interview please add anything I missed.
2) Advance of Travel Option (The latest word is Hawai'i will not accept the mail-in option at this time -- change of mind?)
  • 10 days in advance request a physician-ordered Self-Collection Test from Color and return no earlier than 72 hours of travel (arrival to Hawai'i?) via overnight mail or to a dropbox at SFO.
  • Color then processes those tests at their local, CLIA-certified COVID-19 testing laboratory and returns results via text and/or email within 24-48 hours.
  • Present cost is $80 (paid to the tester - Color)
Update
3) Drive thru test at SFO in advance of travel
Color has opened an (qualifying) in-person drive-thru testing site in a United Airlines parking lot right outside of SFO. $105
United Airlines COVID-19 testing program

United Airlines is partnering with Color to enable fast, reliable test results for people traveling directly out of San Francisco International Airport to Hawai’i starting October 15, 2020.

If you are traveling to Hawai’i on a direct United flight out of SFO, you should expect an email from United seven (7) days before your scheduled flight. Please contact United for more information at 1-800-864-8331 (1-800-UNITED-1).
Customers taking the drive-through test option – administered by Color – can schedule an appointment in advance online and should make the appointment for 48-72 hours before their flight departs. Walk-in appointments will not be available. Once a customer takes the test, they will receive an electronic copy of their results in 24-48 hours. The testing facility is located at United's San Francisco Maintenance Center parking lot at 800 S Airport Blvd – a short drive away from the airport. Customers must take the test within 72 hours of their flight's departure and will receive their results electronically.
appointment link

For more non-airline specific info on Hawaii's test-out and quarantine programs, see
COVID-19 - 14-Day Trans-Pac Arrivals Quarantine/Oct. 15 [Target] Pre-Arrival Test-Out

Other carrier options
Hawaiian to offer drive-through testing at sites near SFO and LAX - $90 for results w/i 36 hours, $150 day of travel.

Oakland Airport will offer free COVID-19 tests for Hawaii-bound travelers (Oct. 15th)

Print Wikipost

UA Pre-flight COVID Testing for SFO-Hawai'i (and other destinations)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:55 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by flyzabit
-The folks who don't have the QR code, and get funneled right, you will apparently still have to show ID, itinerary and boarding pass. Everyone else gets stuck there until they provide stay information and if staying, are asked to quarantine for 14 days strictly at the hotel (or until their test results arrive, if results had not arrived by arrival time).
Out of curiosity, how many people are you seeing in the non-QR code 14 day quarantine line? Do most passengers go through the pre-tested line?

Last edited by Weyland Yutani Corp; Oct 27, 2020 at 8:00 pm
Old Oct 27, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyzabit
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...I was also told that interisland flights are only available to those coming in from the mainland - NOT to local folks. So on one flight, an FA living in HNL said the local joke is that to travel from HNL to OGG or other islands, a local person would need to buy a ticket to the mainland and then back to their destination on the other island. Go figure...
I think you misunderstood what’s going on. Any local can get on an inter-island flight from Honolulu to an outer island, A protocol to avoid quarantine relative to solely inter-island travel for non-essential workers has not been set up, so a Maui resident returning from a Honolulu trip gets 14 days quarantine. The FA is correct - one could fly from HNL, having gotten a negative pre-departure COVID test there, fly to mainland, and then back to Maui and avoid quarantine. It’s insane, but that’s how the Hawai’i State government rolls sometimes. Ends up being a 10 hour (plus connection time) trip v.s. 22 minutes.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I got the email from UA regarding GoHealth or Color.

The GoHealth website still messed up (writing this Tuesday 8:20 PM Pacific) and still shows late afternoon Tuesday appointments but doesn’t show anything Wednesday. The email is also clear - same day as UA flight to use GoHealth - which for me is risky with a 1045am flight on 11/3.

Decided to make 5pm appointment on 11/1 when I land from Vegas. That’ll give me a little less than 48 hours but don’t trust a Saturday test at CVS in Vegas.

There has to be a better way.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A UA passenger on non-stop from ORD arrived today in HNL and received notification of positive test on landing. She/he notified crew before door opened, apparently. Sent to quarantine and passengers around him/her were taken aside for advising and for purposes of contact tracing.

On a long flight with possibly multiple trips to lavatory, I wonder if others not seated in proximity may have been exposed and possibly get ill. I guess all the passengers will know about the passenger and be wondering about next couple of days.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...ding-honolulu/

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 28, 2020 at 11:30 am Reason: added link to story
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I got the email from UA regarding GoHealth or Color.
Any thing about Color? Is there any clue whether Color test in San Francisco city can work?
Old Oct 27, 2020, 10:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Any thing about Color? Is there any clue whether Color test in San Francisco city can work?
This is discussed in COVID-19 - 14-Day Arrivals Quarantine/Pre- and Post-Arrival Test-Out Policies and just the UA partner's SFO test sites are the scope of this UA thread.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 11:39 am
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
A UA passenger on non-stop from ORD arrived today in HNL and received notification of positive test on landing. She/he notified crew before door opened, apparently. Sent to quarantine and passengers around him/her were taken aside for advising and for purposes of contact tracing.

On a long flight with possibly multiple trips to lavatory, I wonder if others not seated in proximity may have been exposed and possibly get ill. I guess all the passengers will know about the passenger and be wondering about next couple of days.
"Sorry to say that someone was positive on your 9 hour flight". Could be a hard way to learn a lesson about milking your "snackey & wine" time or snoozing with an exposed schnozz.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...ding-honolulu/
I actually look at this as positive from what testing can do - as in, if I was seated near a positive passenger, I'd want to know if indeed that passenger get a positive test.

As opposed to lets say, flying to Cancun - where tests are not required and you'd not know if you were exposed or not.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:24 pm
formerly wunderpit

I actually look at this as positive from what testing can do - as in, if I was seated near a positive passenger, I'd want to know if indeed that passenger get a positive test.

As opposed to lets say, flying to Cancun - where tests are not required and you'd not know if you were exposed or not.
Sure it's better than Cancun, but that's not the subject. Wouldn't you rather someone with a pending test not board? Now it's costs everyone stress, costs HI more money & resources, and worse off it could have infected passengers that are now stuck in HI. Knowingly boarding without a result is the difference between being/not being a responsible citizen.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by wunderpit
Wouldn't you rather someone with a pending test not board? Now it's costs everyone stress, costs HI more money & resources, and worse off it could have infected passengers that are now stuck in HI. Knowingly boarding without a result is the difference between being/not being a responsible citizen.
Of course, and if Hawaii could legally do it, they'd have implemented it (barring people without a test). The State and UA can't stop people from freely moving about the US - Hawaii wanted to do so, but was denied.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 12:36 pm
formerly wunderpit

Of course, and if Hawaii could legally do it, they'd have implemented it (barring people without a test). The State and UA can't stop people from freely moving about the US - Hawaii wanted to do so, but was denied.
Yea, it's just upsetting how some people act, and is ultimately one of the reasons that HI will not get my $ until something changes. Is what it is.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 28, 2020 at 1:47 pm Reason: removed OT content
Old Oct 29, 2020, 3:59 am

Testing United SFO: Color

United Flight SFO->OGG Oct 30th, 6:45PM

Received email Oct 23 at 12:30 PM (T - 7d:6h) from United with links to GoHealth for Rapid Testing and Color for the standard test.

Booked a Color test for 12:30PM on Oct 28 (T - 54h)
(Unfortunately the last test time is 6:30 PM which would be a little early for the 6:45 PM departure. I wonder if we showed up at 6:45pm we would still be fine.)

Written driving directions to get to the test mention: "Please follow signs for long term parking and turn at the N McDonnell and S Airport Blvd intersection". I (and many others) missed that last instruction and end up having to enter the paid parking area and turn around. No matter, they had a friendly attendant at the entrance handing out tickets to make an immediate U-Turn. The GPS coordinates they gave (37°38'06.1"N 122°24'00.0"W) did direct to the correct place.

Arrive 10 minutes early for the test and there were about 6 cars ahead, ended up testing around 13 minutes later. They asked when the flight to Hawaii was but did not ask for proof. The test was a nasal swab, but not very deep at all. The directions were to stick it in one about 1 inch in, then rotate in big circles 3 times and repeat for the other nostril. We were given a paper with a number on it so that we could lookup our test status online (although they sent a text+email when the final results were ready). Very quick and friendly.

At around 3:15 PM (T - 52h) we noticed the status of our test changed to 'received'.

At 10:45 PM (T - 44h) we recieved notifications via SMS and email that our result were ready. Loging into the results site we were able to download a PDF of our negative results. There was no indication of the time the test was scheduled/taken.

Pretty impressed with the 10 hour turn around time. I also noticed that the payment was processed with PayPal. I wonder if we would have gotten 5X on the Chase Freedom.

I have not seen any appointments available for the GoHealth Rapid Testing.

Last edited by pointsengineer; Oct 29, 2020 at 5:46 pm Reason: Mistakenly said the test appointment was Oct 29.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:21 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In UA Launches World's First Free Transatlantic COVID-19 Testing pilot program stated this about the Hawai'i testing program
United was the first airline to announce optional pre-flight COVID-19 testing for customers. Earlier this month, the airline started offering customers traveling from San Francisco International Airport to Hawaii the option to take a same-day, pre-flight rapid test at the airport or a conveniently located drive-through test, for a fee. The program allows customers with a negative result to bypass Hawaii's mandatory quarantine requirements and enjoy their time on the islands sooner. In the first 10 days, October 15 – 25, the San Francisco to Hawaii flights have seen a nearly 95% increase in passengers compared to the prior two-week period. United believes these positive trends illustrate a strong and pent-up demand for travel, customers' willingness to use pre-flight COVID-19 testing and the importance of these programs as a means of opening borders.
For now, let's have two separate discussions as the two programs operate differently
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by pointsengineer
Pretty impressed with the 10 hour turn around time. I also noticed that the payment was processed with PayPal. I wonder if we would have gotten 5X on the Chase Freedom.

I have not seen any appointments available for the GoHealth Rapid Testing.
Thank you for the data point. I land SFO Nov 1 about 3pm, have a COLOR appt at 5pm. My flight is at 10:45am Nov 3.

I would've been happy to give GoHealth my money - For a test this morning, I've looked just after midnight, at 6am this morning, and as I write this, 7:40am - and just get no appointments available, so I don't trust it whatsoever. Hoping to get the quick turnaround you received with COLOR
Old Oct 29, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
United Flight SFO->OGG Oct 30th, 6:45PM
Booked a Color test for 12:30PM on Oct 29 (T - 54h)
(Unfortunately the last test time is 6:30 PM which would be a little early for the 6:45 PM departure. I wonder if we showed up at 6:45pm we would still be fine.)
Thank you for the detailed report. Is the date correct? For Oct 30 6:45 pm departure, Oct 29 12:30 pm should be T-30 h. Also why 6:30 PM would be a little early since regardless it is <72h.

Is payment by PayPal mandatory? Even so one should be able to link PayPal with a credit card.
​​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.