Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Pre-flight COVID Testing for SFO-Hawai'i (and other destinations)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For general discussion of the Hawai'i test-out program and /or discussion of non-UA partners (CVS, Walgreens, your local provider, ....), please use COVID-19 - 14-Day Trans-Pac Arrivals Quarantine/Oct. 15 [Target] Pre-Arrival Test-Out

United Airlines Becomes First U.S. Carrier to Make COVID-19 Tests Available to Customers
1) Day of Travel Rapid Test option
GoHealth Urgent Care will offer at airport COVID testing for UA passengers traveling to Hawaii starting Oct 15 photos

Appointments ??? Hawaii SFO COVID-19 Testing ??? (unverified)

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I watched an interview with a representative from the testing company on Fox News today. The takeaways I got were:

- Test will be administered land side, not airside
- Part of the "agreement" is that a positive test will be shared with the local health authority and you will be unable to get through security, let alone board a plane
- The results are NOT shared with UA (or subsequently any other airline partner).
-A positive test will get you sent home if you are local or into local quarantine if not
- The test and paperwork take less than 20 minutes to process and get a result
- The intent is to expand to other airports and other airlines once the pilot is successfully rolled out
- There was no discussion of cost
- Connecting passengers would need to go landside for the test. If the test is positive UA would be notified to offload bags if necessary. That is the only "involvement" with UA

Those were the salient points that I remember. Others who saw the interview please add anything I missed.
2) Advance of Travel Option (The latest word is Hawai'i will not accept the mail-in option at this time -- change of mind?)
  • 10 days in advance request a physician-ordered Self-Collection Test from Color and return no earlier than 72 hours of travel (arrival to Hawai'i?) via overnight mail or to a dropbox at SFO.
  • Color then processes those tests at their local, CLIA-certified COVID-19 testing laboratory and returns results via text and/or email within 24-48 hours.
  • Present cost is $80 (paid to the tester - Color)
Update
3) Drive thru test at SFO in advance of travel
Color has opened an (qualifying) in-person drive-thru testing site in a United Airlines parking lot right outside of SFO. $105
United Airlines COVID-19 testing program

United Airlines is partnering with Color to enable fast, reliable test results for people traveling directly out of San Francisco International Airport to Hawai’i starting October 15, 2020.

If you are traveling to Hawai’i on a direct United flight out of SFO, you should expect an email from United seven (7) days before your scheduled flight. Please contact United for more information at 1-800-864-8331 (1-800-UNITED-1).
Customers taking the drive-through test option – administered by Color – can schedule an appointment in advance online and should make the appointment for 48-72 hours before their flight departs. Walk-in appointments will not be available. Once a customer takes the test, they will receive an electronic copy of their results in 24-48 hours. The testing facility is located at United's San Francisco Maintenance Center parking lot at 800 S Airport Blvd – a short drive away from the airport. Customers must take the test within 72 hours of their flight's departure and will receive their results electronically.
appointment link

For more non-airline specific info on Hawaii's test-out and quarantine programs, see
COVID-19 - 14-Day Trans-Pac Arrivals Quarantine/Oct. 15 [Target] Pre-Arrival Test-Out

Other carrier options
Hawaiian to offer drive-through testing at sites near SFO and LAX - $90 for results w/i 36 hours, $150 day of travel.

Oakland Airport will offer free COVID-19 tests for Hawaii-bound travelers (Oct. 15th)

Print Wikipost

UA Pre-flight COVID Testing for SFO-Hawai'i (and other destinations)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
OGG/Maui is a go for the Pre-Travel program - per live interview right now on local news with the Maui County Mayor
Just spoke with the mayor's office. They indicated that they are required to follow the governor's mandates. Furthermore they stated that they believe the other mayors will ultimately have to follow as well. Maui would like to implement more stringent guidelines, but are preempted by the governor.

Personally, I favor a Kauai type model, giving notice in a quantitative fashion, that the quarantine requirement could be reinstated or the implementation of a post arrival testing procedure.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Oct 9, 2020 at 4:22 pm Reason: Further info about contingency plan
Old Oct 9, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I fly back SFO-HNL ON 10/15. I just received this email from United:

nnn likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The Hawaii forum has more details on what was shared today, but the pre-travel testing program may not work at all airports United serves in Hawaii, aren't good for interisland flights, and even with a test before departure, 10% of passenger arrivals will be subject to additional testing, details TBD in the coming days.

The other thing Governor Ige confirmed is if you come to an island/airport that is not participating in the pre-travel test program, you are subject to the 14 day quarantine regardless of your testing status. He used an example of flying into KOA from the mainland as an example at today's press conference. If you buy SFO-KOA on UA and connect to OGG on HA, any test you took before is moot and you will need to quarantine for 14 days on Maui.
Although I suspect the I know the answer on this. What about the so called "back door" onto the Big Island? Such as SFO-HNL, then take inter island into KOA at a "later time". I assume they are locking up all inter island travel with quarantine restrictions as strange as it seems. It wouldn't make sense to allow that, hence the need for a state wide plan. As many have stated let's see what happens after the first couple of weeks.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomad420
Although I suspect the I know the answer on this. What about the so called "back door" onto the Big Island? Such as SFO-HNL, then take inter island into KOA at a "later time". I assume they are locking up all inter island travel with quarantine restrictions as strange as it seems. It wouldn't make sense to allow that, hence the need for a state wide plan. As many have stated let's see what happens after the first couple of weeks.
Early on before the interisland quarantine and the need for completed forms on interisland flights, people could simply lie and board a connecting flight without any process to show where they were coming from. So someone could walk up to an interisland flight even if they were technically still under quarantine, fly to another island, and have no one on that island checking whether or not they should be on quarantine. But with the interisland travel quarantine and no sign of it lifting anytime soon, this isn't possible.

If someone is planning to fly to Hawaii anytime soon on United, they should make sure it's on a single ticket and ideally, you're flying to the island you plan to park on for a bit. When you pop up with another airline ticket and an out-of-state license for a connecting flight purchased separately from your mainland flight, you run the risk of getting yourself into all sorts of problems.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Right now - there is no back door. And even if the Big Island decides to come on board with the Pre-Travel plan, you'd have to connect SFO-HNL-KOA with a layover - for now a stopover would subject you to interisland quarantine.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:37 pm

FYI, KOA will welcome pre-travel testers, but everyone must take a free test at the airport upon landing. Once those negative results are in, you are free to go. ITO is not participating.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
FYI, KOA will welcome pre-travel testers, but everyone must take a free test at the airport upon landing. Once those negative results are in, you are free to go. ITO is not participating.
how long does it take to get those results back?
Old Oct 9, 2020, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
how long does it take to get those results back?
Roughly 15 minutes. They're going to stage people across from the terminal where the rental car desks were in the "old days" prior to the rental shuttles.

While it takes 15 minutes to get a test result, I don't know yet how long it will take to wait in line to get a test. Not sure how they'll round up people from baggage claim and get them across the street nor do I know how many resources will be out there testing... although an island-based healthcare company is administering the tests.

While things are changing with airport construction, the UA baggage claim area has traditionally been at the "north" end of the airport and this testing area is about 600 feet away from there in the middle of the airport.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 12:43 am

If I have a negative test result upon landing at KOA and exempt myself from quarantine on the Big Island, can I use that to fly to LIH 4 days later without quarantining on Kauai?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by sincx
If I have a negative test result upon landing at KOA and exempt myself from quarantine on the Big Island, can I use that to fly to LIH 4 days later without quarantining on Kauai?
No. The second test at KOA isn't a PCR test and they only do a PCR test if you're positive in the second test. And if you are positive from the second test, you're put into quarantine while you wait for the third/PCR test results.

For now, there is no way to travel between islands without the 14 day quarantine (unless an island grants you an essential service exemption which is getting more difficult to get/use.)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Roughly 15 minutes. They're going to stage people across from the terminal where the rental car desks were in the "old days" prior to the rental shuttles.

While it takes 15 minutes to get a test result, I don't know yet how long it will take to wait in line to get a test. Not sure how they'll round up people from baggage claim and get them across the street nor do I know how many resources will be out there testing... although an island-based healthcare company is administering the tests.

While things are changing with airport construction, the UA baggage claim area has traditionally been at the "north" end of the airport and this testing area is about 600 feet away from there in the middle of the airport.
While very happy to hear KOA is at least accepting this measure in lieu of quarantine this will sure be a mess. The UA baggage claim last month was moved to the south end of the terminal apparently shared with AS (and others) so curious to hear if they move it back to the north end now. Would not want to be flying in during those intials days but I hope with time they will work out the initial start up problems and keeping finger crossed.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
It'll be interesting to see what happens if you test positive on 2nd test and you were only there for a long weekend. Where do you quarantine? How long do you stay on the island?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It'll be interesting to see what happens if you test positive on 2nd test and you were only there for a long weekend. Where do you quarantine? How long do you stay on the island?
If you test positive on the second test, you must stay quarantined at your intended destination until the third test comes back negative, which could take up to 3 days. If you didn't take the pre-travel test but still test negative at the airport, you're still stuck in quarantine for 14 days.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 3:20 pm

If you test positive on the second test, you must stay quarantined at your intended destination until the third test comes back negative, which could take up to 3 days. If you didn't take the pre-travel test but still test negative at the airport, you're still stuck in quarantine for 14 days.
I believe he may have been asking if even the third test comes back positive and you are only there for only a short stay can they basically force a 14 day quarantine? While unusual I thought they were actually letting you leave. Otherwise they would have to basically lock you up given, in theory, you would have no place to stay. Again, an unlikely but possible scenario I suppose.

Last edited by nomad420; Oct 10, 2020 at 3:20 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 10, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I believe he may have been asking if even the third test comes back positive and you are only there for only a short stay can they basically force a 14 day quarantine? While unusual I thought they were actually letting you leave. Otherwise they would have to basically lock you up given, in theory, you would have no place to stay. Again, an unlikely but possible scenario I suppose.
14 days unless you're leaving quarantine accommodations directly to airport to leave State.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.