Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Pre-flight COVID Testing for SFO-Hawai'i (and other destinations)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For general discussion of the Hawai'i test-out program and /or discussion of non-UA partners (CVS, Walgreens, your local provider, ....), please use COVID-19 - 14-Day Trans-Pac Arrivals Quarantine/Oct. 15 [Target] Pre-Arrival Test-Out

United Airlines Becomes First U.S. Carrier to Make COVID-19 Tests Available to Customers
1) Day of Travel Rapid Test option
GoHealth Urgent Care will offer at airport COVID testing for UA passengers traveling to Hawaii starting Oct 15 photos

Appointments ??? Hawaii SFO COVID-19 Testing ??? (unverified)

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I watched an interview with a representative from the testing company on Fox News today. The takeaways I got were:

- Test will be administered land side, not airside
- Part of the "agreement" is that a positive test will be shared with the local health authority and you will be unable to get through security, let alone board a plane
- The results are NOT shared with UA (or subsequently any other airline partner).
-A positive test will get you sent home if you are local or into local quarantine if not
- The test and paperwork take less than 20 minutes to process and get a result
- The intent is to expand to other airports and other airlines once the pilot is successfully rolled out
- There was no discussion of cost
- Connecting passengers would need to go landside for the test. If the test is positive UA would be notified to offload bags if necessary. That is the only "involvement" with UA

Those were the salient points that I remember. Others who saw the interview please add anything I missed.
2) Advance of Travel Option (The latest word is Hawai'i will not accept the mail-in option at this time -- change of mind?)
  • 10 days in advance request a physician-ordered Self-Collection Test from Color and return no earlier than 72 hours of travel (arrival to Hawai'i?) via overnight mail or to a dropbox at SFO.
  • Color then processes those tests at their local, CLIA-certified COVID-19 testing laboratory and returns results via text and/or email within 24-48 hours.
  • Present cost is $80 (paid to the tester - Color)
Update
3) Drive thru test at SFO in advance of travel
Color has opened an (qualifying) in-person drive-thru testing site in a United Airlines parking lot right outside of SFO. $105
United Airlines COVID-19 testing program

United Airlines is partnering with Color to enable fast, reliable test results for people traveling directly out of San Francisco International Airport to Hawai’i starting October 15, 2020.

If you are traveling to Hawai’i on a direct United flight out of SFO, you should expect an email from United seven (7) days before your scheduled flight. Please contact United for more information at 1-800-864-8331 (1-800-UNITED-1).
Customers taking the drive-through test option – administered by Color – can schedule an appointment in advance online and should make the appointment for 48-72 hours before their flight departs. Walk-in appointments will not be available. Once a customer takes the test, they will receive an electronic copy of their results in 24-48 hours. The testing facility is located at United's San Francisco Maintenance Center parking lot at 800 S Airport Blvd – a short drive away from the airport. Customers must take the test within 72 hours of their flight's departure and will receive their results electronically.
appointment link

For more non-airline specific info on Hawaii's test-out and quarantine programs, see
COVID-19 - 14-Day Trans-Pac Arrivals Quarantine/Oct. 15 [Target] Pre-Arrival Test-Out

Other carrier options
Hawaiian to offer drive-through testing at sites near SFO and LAX - $90 for results w/i 36 hours, $150 day of travel.

Oakland Airport will offer free COVID-19 tests for Hawaii-bound travelers (Oct. 15th)

Print Wikipost

UA Pre-flight COVID Testing for SFO-Hawai'i (and other destinations)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FullFare
As one of the surgical staff at one of the busiest hospitals in the SF BayArea, I have been able to get a Covid-19 test pretty much on-demand, with turn around time about 2 hrs (PCR quality test). No charge for us staff physicians. I will probably go that route.
Right now - you can't get a test wherever you like. Right now, it is CVS and Kaiser (both of which no details have been released but the State did confirm they won't test under 12 years old) and the UA partnership.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Is this test airside or landside? As a Canadian I think the best option to go to HNL is to fly to SFO first and take the rapid test?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The test is for the Hawai'i health authorities -- that is a question for them but be Hawai'i is working a deal with CVS and Kaiser Permanente Walgreens
see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...-test-out.html

UA is not requiring the test, Hawai'i is
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes, the State is working with CVS and Kaiser Permanente on that option. It’s been announced, but details aren’t yet available.
Yes aware of all of that. But it is unclear as Hawai'i says a FDA-approved test processed by a CLIA-approved lab is what's needed. Then goes on to mention CVS, Kaiser etc. as partners.

I can get a FDA-approved test from a CLIA-approved lab in much less than 72 hours from a place that is not CVS or Kaiser... so is that all that is needed?

Is UA going to play a role in checking this as well?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
A little confused here. The Hawaii governor's declaration specifically calls for a NAAT COVID test, which is a molecular test (includes PCR). The testing that UA can offer with 15 minute results is an antigen test. How will UA's rapid tests be accepted by Hawaii?

Also, the governor also said that CVS and Kaiser are "approved partners." Does that mean other testers are not permitted? I wouldn't think so, but...

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom...-sept-16-2020/

Thanks
-BlooJoo
D582 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
My biggest question is what happens when someone has a positive result?

Can UA deny boarding to an asymptomatic positive? and if you test positive, does HIPAA prevent the testor from sharing your result with UA and Hawaii? If one really wanted to go to Hawaii, I imagine if they tested positive, they would still go but say they didn't test. They'd still have to quarantine, but they'd do so in Hawaii.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:11 pm

I heard different. As long as the test is from a CLIA certified lab, they said they would take it.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by BlooJoo

Also, the governor also said that CVS and Kaiser are "approved partners." Does that mean other testers are not permitted? I wouldn't think so, but...

https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom...-sept-16-2020/
Correct. Only Kaiser and CVS - and now the UA partnership. You can't just go to any FDA approved/certified lab. Only the approved partners.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
A little confused here. The Hawaii governor's declaration specifically calls for a NAAT COVID test, which is a molecular test (includes PCR). The testing that UA can offer with 15 minute results is an antigen test. How will UA's rapid tests be accepted by Hawaii?
Again, the specific Abbott test mentioned (the so-called "ID NOW") is a molecular test.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FullFare
I heard different. As long as the test is from a CLIA certified lab, they said they would take it.
I as well can get free testing through my work as well but don't want to risk some red-tape issue with the State of Hawaii and turned away from my flight or worse denied entry at Hawaii and have to fly back to the mainland. If they (State of Hawaii) accept for example a CVS test, then that is what I will do and just charge it to my HSA. Having gone through this last month, and don't take this the wrong way, the people checking at the airport work for Civil Defense (at least some) and they basically follow a script. If all the boxes are not checked off correctly you will be denied entry. I went through this at HNL and also on inter-Island travel last month.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Correct. Only Kaiser and CVS - and now the UA partnership. You can't just go to any FDA approved/certified lab. Only the approved partners.
Thanks. That doesn't help people in certain states. Hopefully they open more partnerships.

Originally Posted by gengar
Again, the specific Abbott test mentioned (the so-called "ID NOW") is a molecular test.
Thanks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 24, 2020 at 5:41 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
I as well can get free testing through my work as well but don't want to risk some red-tape issue with the State of Hawaii and turned away from my flight or worse denied entry at Hawaii and have to fly back to the mainland.
You won't be denied entry - you'll simply be told you are under 14 day mandatory quarantine.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You won't be denied entry - you'll simply be told you are under 14 day mandatory quarantine.
For some that is denied entry. I think you know what I mean.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by D582
I can get a FDA-approved test from a CLIA-approved lab in much less than 72 hours from a place that is not CVS or Kaiser... so is that all that is needed? ...
That is a question for the Hawai'i forum thread previously referenced -- it is a State of Hawai'i requirement. UA is not requiring this, just coordinating a service some may want (and so they will fly UA)
Originally Posted by D582
...Is UA going to play a role in checking this as well?
UA is not requiring the test and it is not being done for UA. Hawai'i is requiring the test and will determine the suitability. See the discussion on the Hawai'i forum.

...The Hawaii governor's declaration specifically calls for a NAAT COVID test, which is a molecular test (includes PCR). The testing that UA can offer with 15 minute results is an antigen test. ...
Incorrect, the proposed ABBOTT test is NAAT PCR

...How will UA's rapid tests be accepted by Hawaii?
As a PCR test and as joint agreement with Hawai's, yes

Thanks. That doesn't help people in certain states. Hopefully they open more partnerships.
There is the mailin appraoch which should work for everyone (Domestic and maybe Canada) -- and it is cheaper
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Is this test airside or landside? As a Canadian I think the best option to go to HNL is to fly to SFO first and take the rapid test?
At SFO, the testing facility is downstairs in the International Terminal, so land side.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:05 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Will the testing fee be buried in the fare structure for business and above bookings? It would make it easier to handle in expense accounts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.