Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Pre-flight COVID Testing for SFO-Hawai'i (and other destinations)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For general discussion of the Hawai'i test-out program and /or discussion of non-UA partners (CVS, Walgreens, your local provider, ....), please use COVID-19 - 14-Day Trans-Pac Arrivals Quarantine/Oct. 15 [Target] Pre-Arrival Test-Out

United Airlines Becomes First U.S. Carrier to Make COVID-19 Tests Available to Customers
1) Day of Travel Rapid Test option
GoHealth Urgent Care will offer at airport COVID testing for UA passengers traveling to Hawaii starting Oct 15 photos

Appointments ??? Hawaii SFO COVID-19 Testing ??? (unverified)

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I watched an interview with a representative from the testing company on Fox News today. The takeaways I got were:

- Test will be administered land side, not airside
- Part of the "agreement" is that a positive test will be shared with the local health authority and you will be unable to get through security, let alone board a plane
- The results are NOT shared with UA (or subsequently any other airline partner).
-A positive test will get you sent home if you are local or into local quarantine if not
- The test and paperwork take less than 20 minutes to process and get a result
- The intent is to expand to other airports and other airlines once the pilot is successfully rolled out
- There was no discussion of cost
- Connecting passengers would need to go landside for the test. If the test is positive UA would be notified to offload bags if necessary. That is the only "involvement" with UA

Those were the salient points that I remember. Others who saw the interview please add anything I missed.
2) Advance of Travel Option (The latest word is Hawai'i will not accept the mail-in option at this time -- change of mind?)
  • 10 days in advance request a physician-ordered Self-Collection Test from Color and return no earlier than 72 hours of travel (arrival to Hawai'i?) via overnight mail or to a dropbox at SFO.
  • Color then processes those tests at their local, CLIA-certified COVID-19 testing laboratory and returns results via text and/or email within 24-48 hours.
  • Present cost is $80 (paid to the tester - Color)
Update
3) Drive thru test at SFO in advance of travel
Color has opened an (qualifying) in-person drive-thru testing site in a United Airlines parking lot right outside of SFO. $105
United Airlines COVID-19 testing program

United Airlines is partnering with Color to enable fast, reliable test results for people traveling directly out of San Francisco International Airport to Hawai’i starting October 15, 2020.

If you are traveling to Hawai’i on a direct United flight out of SFO, you should expect an email from United seven (7) days before your scheduled flight. Please contact United for more information at 1-800-864-8331 (1-800-UNITED-1).
Customers taking the drive-through test option – administered by Color – can schedule an appointment in advance online and should make the appointment for 48-72 hours before their flight departs. Walk-in appointments will not be available. Once a customer takes the test, they will receive an electronic copy of their results in 24-48 hours. The testing facility is located at United's San Francisco Maintenance Center parking lot at 800 S Airport Blvd – a short drive away from the airport. Customers must take the test within 72 hours of their flight's departure and will receive their results electronically.
appointment link

For more non-airline specific info on Hawaii's test-out and quarantine programs, see
COVID-19 - 14-Day Trans-Pac Arrivals Quarantine/Oct. 15 [Target] Pre-Arrival Test-Out

Other carrier options
Hawaiian to offer drive-through testing at sites near SFO and LAX - $90 for results w/i 36 hours, $150 day of travel.

Oakland Airport will offer free COVID-19 tests for Hawaii-bound travelers (Oct. 15th)

Print Wikipost

UA Pre-flight COVID Testing for SFO-Hawai'i (and other destinations)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Mayor of Kauai has formally requested to opt out of Safe Travel program. Awaiting Governor approval. Heads up if planning on going to Kauai - all visits require quarantine if approved.
jonlibby likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just got this from United. Glad they're keeping up w/ changes and notifying passengers..

Old Nov 27, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
We took the Color drive through test at UA SFO parking lot, result came back before midnight same day. I am now in Hawaii without any issues. However, I feel the Color test at UA SFO parking lot is almost a fake. In my previous experience at Stanford, the staff inserted the swab deep into the back of my nose and twisted for 10 seconds each direction. It was quite uncomfortable and triggered a sneeze. But at the Color test at SFO, I was given the swab to insert myself, I first inserted it about 3/4th way and paused, before I was to push it deeper towards the back of the nose. But the staff looking at me said now rotate the swab to "wash' my inside skin three times, and then it was all done. Same procedure was done to my wife. We both felt that the 5 second procedure is almost like a joke compared to the one we did at Stanford. I have a strong suspicion that this test will miss most of the asymptomatic carriers.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 1:54 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
We took the Color drive through test at UA SFO parking lot, result came back before midnight same day. I am now in Hawaii without any issues. However, I feel the Color test at UA SFO parking lot is almost a fake. In my previous experience at Stanford, the staff inserted the swab deep into the back of my nose and twisted for 10 seconds each direction. It was quite uncomfortable and triggered a sneeze. But at the Color test at SFO, I was given the swab to insert myself, I first inserted it about 3/4th way and paused, before I was to push it deeper towards the back of the nose. But the staff looking at me said now rotate the swab to "wash' my inside skin three times, and then it was all done. Same procedure was done to my wife. We both felt that the 5 second procedure is almost like a joke compared to the one we did at Stanford. I have a strong suspicion that this test will miss most of the asymptomatic carriers.
I think you are probably right. Thank you for reassuring me that my decision to stay home is a good one.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
The Worksite test is the same. It is a required NAAT test...one of the "A"s is "amplification"...it uses chemical reagents to highlight Covid proteins so they are easier to detect. The FDA approval says the test has 97-98% accuracy. Perhaps some research on how the tests work?
artvandalay and anteater like this.

Last edited by BlueZebra; Nov 27, 2020 at 6:15 am
Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have a strong suspicion that this test will miss most of the asymptomatic carriers.
Do you have a background in medicine or biology?

Different test methods require different protocols.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Kacee
Do you have a background in medicine or biology?

Different test methods require different protocols.
I am just an atmospheric sciences professor not a medical one. But I have been active in public health working closely with several public health US and international public health organizations in cooperative projects over the years.. I published two papers in medical journals. I write a private covid newsletter, which is a synthesis of selected materials from news and freshly reported research papers, is read by about 500 people.

My comments are based on my readings and what I learned from close following of every weekly/biweekly UCSF Medical Grounds and seminars on covid.

https://www.asthmacenter.com/coronav...nose-pain-pcr/

How Does Coronavirus Testing (PCR Swab) Work?

The testing procedure itself uses a swab covered with an absorbent material that is pushed through the nose about 3 inches to the back of the throat. The swab is then twirled around for about 15 seconds and then withdraw. A helpful video about how to use the swab technique for coronavirus testing is published by the New England Journal of Medicine available here

Since the nose is not used to having any object placed inside, most people find this to be psychologically unnerving and physically a very uncomfortable process. In fact, if you do not experience some level of discomfort during the procedure, the test probably was not done correctly leading to unreliable results.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 27, 2020 at 12:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
Old Nov 27, 2020, 12:10 pm

Stanford made you uncomfortable and COLOR didn’t so that makes it a bad test. Hmmm

Quite frankly if COLOR had bad testing they’d be sued several times by now.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 12:37 pm

https://www.asthmacenter.com/coronav...-nose-pain-pcr
How Does Coronavirus Testing (PCR Swab) Work?

The testing procedure itself uses a swab covered with an absorbent material that is pushed through the nose about 3 inches to the back of the throat. The swab is then twirled around for about 15 seconds and then withdraw. A helpful video about how to use the swab technique for coronavirus testing is published by the New England Journal of Medicine available here

Since the nose is not used to having any object placed inside, most people find this to be psychologically unnerving and physically a very uncomfortable process. In fact, if you do not experience some level of discomfort during the procedure, the test probably was not done correctly leading to unreliable results.
Great, but this info is at least 4 months old, which is pretty ancient history in the Covid world. And, as I mentioned above, the approval for the less invasive test shows a 97-98% accuracy rate, pretty much the same as the PCR style tests described in your article. Heck, we have tests based on saliva now.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 27, 2020 at 1:17 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Nov 27, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you report your suspicions to the authorities in HI and voluntarily quarantined yourself? That would be the honorable thing to do if you feel the test is almost fake.
HNLbasedFlyer and anteater like this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Great, but this info is at least 4 months old, which is pretty ancient history in the Covid world. And, as I mentioned above, the approval for the less invasive test shows a 97-98% accuracy rate, pretty much the same as the PCR style tests described in your article. Heck, we have tests based on saliva now.
I think that's the key point here. The protocol for the rapid tests is different, and less invasive than the PCR testing (which is what the quoted article describes). I've had both, and there's a huge difference. (I'll add that I'm not a medical professional and my knowledge of the protocols comes from experiencing both types.)
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
I've read the wiki and most of the 26 pages of the thread and still have a question. I know the GoHealth test is listed as "Day of flight". Is that a hard and fast rule? I ask because I have a 9 AM flight SFO-KOA next week. My other options have been reporting turnaround that is not meeting the 48-72 hour turnaround time. CVS has completely stopped support for Hawaii per their website. I was going to use GoHealth as my last resort. However, even if I get the 1st appointment the day I fly, there is a good chance I won't make my flight or get the results before the flight leaves (which is the new requirement for Hawaii). Is it possible to take the test the afternoon prior to my departure? Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 27, 2020, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
. Is it possible to take the test the afternoon prior to my departure? Thanks for your help!
maybe. You might be a test case for this thread. If you are SF based I’d do color or do the guaranteed Hawaiian test from HA. I switched to HA in Vegas because of the test turnaround
Old Nov 27, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
maybe. You might be a test case for this thread. If you are SF based I’d do color or do the guaranteed Hawaiian test from HA. I switched to HA in Vegas because of the test turnaround
Thanks. If I have to go that route, I will post results. I am actually connecting at SFO the day before and meeting family for dinner, so Color is not an option.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think that's the key point here. The protocol for the rapid tests is different, and less invasive than the PCR testing (which is what the quoted article describes). I've had both, and there's a huge difference. (I'll add that I'm not a medical professional and my knowledge of the protocols comes from experiencing both types.)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
HA's vendor for the same day test, Worksite, no longer does same day tests. But they have been consistent with stating, and meeting, 36 hour turnarounds, sometimes much faster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.