EWR-ASE this year?

Old Sep 16, 20, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA
EWR-ASE this year?

Anyone know if this flight will be happening seasonally? I see UA has uploaded schedule for LAX, ORD and of course DEN to ASE, but I can't seem to find a direct from the NYC area anymore. Quite surprised if this doesn't go. I don't see anything from DL or AA either.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:22 pm

This doesnít exist as there arenít any aircraft capable of flying that distance into that airport. The closest you can get nonstop is to EGE.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GSornotGS View Post
This doesnít exist as there arenít any aircraft capable of flying that distance into that airport. The closest you can get nonstop is to EGE.
Totally makes sense in terms of distance and altitude. Maybe I am crazy, but I swore there were some nonstops from the NYC area last year, perhaps JFK on DL or AA. I thought EWR but I guess wrong!
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:31 pm

Itís the separation between the runway and taxiway prevents anything larger than about a CRJ getting in there and they donít have the range. Blade flew a few shared charters last season but it was a few thousand per seat each way. Thatís the closest thereís been to a commercial flight other than going to EGE.
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marr. Gold
For non-Coloradans:

ASE = Aspen
EGE = Eagle County Regional Airport
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I believe Blade flew NYC to ASE nonstop last year. United has not to my knowledge. Iím sure it would be an extremely popular route if they figured a way to fly it!
Old Sep 17, 20, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
They need an extended range CRJ-200!
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 9:47 am

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GSornotGS View Post
I was about to say, must have missed the Citation X announcement...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Not a lot of C750 on KASE-NYC; mostly Challengers, 3 engine Falcons, and Gulfstreams.

Notably somebody did KASE-KLGA in a Lineage 1000 (E190) last year, but in the VIP config they were probably pretty light.
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by mduell; Sep 17, 20 at 11:32 am
Old Sep 18, 20, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Don't. Just don't
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 20, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Mileage Plus Silver Elite, United Club, HyattGold, Enterprise Silver
if the CR7 could make it with a full load, it would be on the schedule.
Old Sep 18, 20, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

I feel like I opened a can of worms. I flew into EGE last year so probably just got confused! I do agree it would be incredibly viable and profitable to get some sort of NYC-ASE service going. Even with a ground stop somewhere..
Old Sep 18, 20, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nw6338 View Post
I feel like I opened a can of worms. I flew into EGE last year so probably just got confused! I do agree it would be incredibly viable and profitable to get some sort of NYC-ASE service going. Even with a ground stop somewhere..
Yeah, Iím sure it would be. The problem is that nothing UA flies can really do that. A stopping service would be interesting, though I guess itís just as easy to stop in DEN and carry on.
Old Sep 20, 20, 8:48 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Personally Iíd opt for an ER-ERJ175
Old Sep 20, 20, 9:20 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Loads of restrictions for aircraft going into ASE. Max landing weight is 100,000 pounds and no aircraft with a wingspan of 95 feet or greater are permitted.

I flew into ASE in a pressurized Beech Baron I previously owned on the same day a privately owned 737-500 series landed, which was a very cool experience. ASE is a really cool place to land for any pilot, and it requires some very serious review of the WX, technique, and climb performance on take-off.

Also, in talking to the crew of the 737, they mentioned that back in the 80's and early 90's, some 727's flew into ASE somewhat regularly, including Trump's 727 when he still owned one.
SPN Lifer and EWR764 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: