Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Two FAs sue UA alleging discrimination in sports charter assignments

Old Sep 12, 20, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6

2 United flight attendants are suing UA for not being able to work charters for sports teams because whey donít meet the profile of being young blond females which teams prefer.
Shame on UA and the teams. As with pilots and charters this should be based on bid and seniority. I have met and enjoyed service by many older flight attendants.
Old Sep 12, 20, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer View Post
Shame on UA and the teams.
We don't even know if it's true yet. Anyone can accuse anyone of anything ... let's see the facts that result from an investigation.
Old Sep 12, 20, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
2 United flight attendants are suing UA for not being able to work charters for sports teams because whey donít meet the profile of being young blond females which teams prefer.
Shame on UA and the teams. As with pilots and charters this should be based on bid and seniority. I have met and enjoyed service by many older flight attendants.
Iíd be very careful placing blame here without knowledge of the situation.

Iíve flown dozens of charters over the years both in the 737 and the 764 and can tell you this is completely false. Last NFL charter I did Iíd estimate average age of the F/As was north of 50.
Old Sep 12, 20, 10:27 am

IANAL, but my guess is the age and gender can be passed off IF United can convince a court that the FAs are in a entertainment role for these flights rather than being "primarily there for your safety". It's how Hooters and like can get away with only hiring female servers (although other positions in the restaurant can be filled by men), although on that note, Hooters Air did have separate roles for Hooters girls (serving on the plane) and Flight Attendants (there for your safety). The blond part will be much harder as that would have ties to race.

I'd expect the first thing United's lawyers are doing is looking at the percentage of FAs on these lists that are black/brown vs the FA group as a whole. We could probably guess how big that difference is (if there is one) by how quickly UA decides to settle.

EDIT: Want to caveat this entire post with a "assuming the lawsuit's allegation of UA's preferred FA lists being full of young blond women is correct"

Last edited by lowfareair; Sep 12, 20 at 10:35 am
Old Sep 12, 20, 10:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
United Sued for Packing NFL Charters With Young, Blond Crews

(Bloomberg) -- United Airlines Holdings Inc. packs its charter flights for sports teams with young, blond crews and bars older flight attendants from working the plum routes, according to a new lawsuit.

In so doing, the airline bases the value of workers “entirely on their racial and physical attributes, and stereotypical notions of sexual allure,” according to two veteran flight attendants who sued Friday in California.

The attendants -- a Black woman who has worked for the airline for 28 years and a Jewish woman with 34 years of tenure -- say that they both tried repeatedly and unsuccessfully to get assigned to work the charter flights.

The case is Guillory v. United Airlines, Inc, 20-civ-03889, in Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo.
Old Sep 12, 20, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The employees point out those with less seniority were given the charter routes over them this at first is a management union issue. Every airline I have known offers seniority for all flight crews in getting first choice at their schedule. The race age stuff is not a factor.
Old Sep 12, 20, 10:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
It would depend on the union contract and if there are carve outs for management to have discretion on assignments in certain (or any) case. I would have thought that this might have been a grievance that gets arbitrated rather than a lawsuit. It seems likely that the contract does allow management discretion and they are suing based on their perception of how management uses that discretion.
Old Sep 12, 20, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
The employees point out those with less seniority were given the charter routes over them this at first is a management union issue. Every airline I have known offers seniority for all flight crews in getting first choice at their schedule.
Not necessarily at UA. Here is what the UA F/A CBA says about charter flight staffing (I have bolded the relevant parts):

9 . Charters and Special Purpose Flights

a . Charters, extra sections and scenic flights assigned to a Base will be available for use in line construction or placed in open time, unless a particular Flight Attendant(s) has been requested by the charter organization.

b . Charter pairings may be constructed with a report time up to forty-five minutes (0:45) earlier than the normal check-in time for that aircraft type . In the event that the Company increases scheduled check-in time(s), it shall make increases in five minute (0:05) increments up to a maximum increase of forty-five minutes (0:45) and Flight Attendants shall be paid for the increased time in accordance with Section 6 .R .6 .

c . Special Purpose Flights. The Company may assign specific Flight Attendant(s) to a limited number of flights not to exceed ten (10) per year when it determines that the circumstances call for a particular crew, e .g . inaugural flights or those with a high profile or significant publicity opportunity.
Page 57 of the CBA.
Old Sep 12, 20, 11:38 am

Tort law here. When I first started traveling back in the late 80's it was awesome now its guys and old gals with an attitude that will sue the airline at the drop of a hat.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
Tort law here. When I first started traveling back in the late 80's it was awesome now its guys and old gals with an attitude that will sue the airline at the drop of a hat.
Sad but often true, especially FAs
Old Sep 12, 20, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
It would depend on the union contract and if there are carve outs for management to have discretion on assignments in certain (or any) case. I would have thought that this might have been a grievance that gets arbitrated rather than a lawsuit. It seems likely that the contract does allow management discretion and they are suing based on their perception of how management uses that discretion.
They're suing precisely because the contract allows it, otherwise it would have been handled by the Union.

If the airline is providing the FAs requested by the client, I'm not sure how much responsibility the airline might bear here - if the client says, no FAs over 30, and United honors that request, is the grievance really against United or is it against the charter organizer?

If the charter org is selecting FAs from a list of FAs, is United only providing young, white, blonde FA on that list? Or does United provide a complete list and then the charter org picks from that list, and only happens to pick young, white FAs?

Morally, the entity most at fault here is the charter org, United is in a tough spot as telling the customer FA staff have to be picked on seniority just sends the customer to another airline.

UA may ultimately not even mind the lawsuit - if they lose / settle, it puts other airlines in a similar position and then they can all collectively tell customers FAs are staffed through the normal bid process
Old Sep 12, 20, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When UA provides the list of FAs, are pictures attached or is the client googling names for young sexy blond photos?

Also, are FAs being selected to please the team management and coaches or the players? With many players being black, are they the ones requesting white and blond FAs?

I don't want to send this thread into OMNI PR, but who on the team is allegedly making these decisions and how much information do they have about FA candidates? Could the team just be re-requesting FAs who have "pleased" them in the past?

AFAIK in most industries and for most positions, the supposed preferences of the customer are not an adequate justification for discrimination.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Herman Munster View Post
Itís two FAs, not 102 or 1002.
ajGoes and ARR72 like this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
For those wanting more information about the complaint, as posted earlier,
The case is Guillory v. United Airlines, Inc, 20-civ-03889, in Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo
20-CIV-03889
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
20-CIV-03889 - Complaint.pdf (1,017.9 KB, 96 views)
SPN Lifer, In2ishn and onthesam like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 12, 20 at 2:00 pm
Old Sep 12, 20, 1:46 pm

Odd timing considering the majority of the younger flight attendants are going to be furloughed in 3 weeks anyway.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: