Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are all flights showing booked when wide open?

Old Sep 9, 20, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

So I'm looking at flights on a few specific days EWR-BNA. On a route that used to have massive scheduling with a combo of mainline and express, it's down to 3 Republic flights daily. However, all of a sudden (literally almost overnight), several dates are showing no or simply one F seat available for purchase or miles. When I went to ExpertFlyer, the seating manifests are wide open- maybe 10-15% occupied. Is UA or Republic anticipating cancelling these flights? Quite frustrated...
Old Sep 9, 20, 1:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Group buyout?
Is the pattern repetitive over future weeks?
What Y inventory? if zero'ed out also, then cancellation / combining is a possiblility.I in the next week or two, then maybe UA to cancel flights with light loads
Old Sep 9, 20, 1:51 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
What are the dates?
Old Sep 9, 20, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Group buyout?
Is the pattern repetitive over future weeks?
What Y inventory? if zero'ed out also, then cancellation / combining is a possiblility.I in the next week or two, then maybe UA to cancel flights with light loads
pretty much zeroed out. Y=0 on most/all

Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
What are the dates?
10/8 and 10/9 specifically

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 9, 20 at 2:51 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 9, 20, 2:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
In Oct EWR-BNA will be reduced to an average of 2 RT flights a day, so if 3 are presently showing, there is consolidation in their future.
Old Sep 9, 20, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I believe the schedule consolidations/reductions/changes for October have already been loaded, so this could simply be a result of that. As you point out, EWR-BNA used to be served by multiple mainline and express service, which was reflected in the placeholder schedule that was in place until this past weekend. Now, with service consolidated onto two or three Republic flights, presumably on E70s with six F seats each (I don't think Republic has E175s), it's unsurprising that the F cabins have filled up.
Old Sep 9, 20, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
pretty much zeroed out. Y=0 on most/all
10/8 and 10/9 specifically
It looks to me like there has already been some consolidation. i.e. there were more flights but it has been reduced to three per day. It looks like at least one mainline flight was eliminate or down-gauged to a 70/76 seater.

They are also "holding" some reservations on those flights. "Held" seats are placeholders that act as a passenger reservation but don't represent a real passenger. There is still work to do to adjust affected passengers reservations, I believe, and, once that is done, you'll see a more accurate reflection of the available tickets. I would expect the booking levels to decrease as some affected passengers reschedule, cancel, or re-route and the "held" seats are eventually removed.

Have you tried talking to an agent about these flights or have you just looked online/app?
Old Sep 9, 20, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

It looks to me like there has already been some consolidation. i.e. there were more flights but it has been reduced to three per day. It looks like at least one mainline flight was eliminate or down-gauged to a 70/76 seater.

They are also "holding" some reservations on those flights. "Held" seats are placeholders that act as a passenger reservation but don't represent a real passenger. There is still work to do to adjust affected passengers reservations, I believe, and, once that is done, you'll see a more accurate reflection of the available tickets. I would expect the booking levels to decrease as some affected passengers reschedule, cancel, or re-route and the "held" seats are eventually removed.

Have you tried talking to an agent about these flights or have you just looked online/app?
Just looked online so far. Will call. Makes sense that there's been some consolidation.
Old Sep 9, 20, 7:40 pm

Just looked online so far. Will call. Makes sense that there's been some consolidation.
I don't know if an agent can help you now, or also has to wait for the consolidation process to finish, but it's worth a try.

If you haven't been here to BNA lately, lots of changes in the main terminal and pickup/dropoffs. The North (A & B) and South (C & D) terminals will be split air-side for construction as they work on the new combined security area and main lobby.

https://bnavisionnashville.com/news-events/
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

I don't know if an agent can help you now, or also has to wait for the consolidation process to finish, but it's worth a try.

If you haven't been here to BNA lately, lots of changes in the main terminal and pickup/dropoffs. The North (A & B) and South (C & D) terminals will be split air-side for construction as they work on the new combined security area and main lobby.

https://bnavisionnashville.com/news-events/
Thx. Son is freshman at Vanderbilt, so trying to visit for a weekend since he's not allowed to leave Nashville area. Have been through BNA tons, but not since Covid.
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:49 pm

Thx. Son is freshman at Vanderbilt, so trying to visit for a weekend since he's not allowed to leave Nashville area. Have been through BNA tons, but not since Covid.
I haven't been in the downtown/West End area for a while. Lots of good places to eat down there.

We live a couple exits east of the airport off I-40.
Old Mar 18, 21, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Couldn't find a good thread to put this in, so this'll do...

Here's my flight Tuesday OGG-SFO. F is not available for purchase, but Y>9. Plenty of open F seats (there's one more open F seat I could capture w/ screen shot). Is this in case of potential a/c swap and F will eventually be available if a/c sticks?

Old Mar 18, 21, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Couldn't find a good thread to put this in, so this'll do...

Here's my flight Tuesday OGG-SFO. F is not available for purchase, but Y>9. Plenty of open F seats (there's one more open F seat I could capture w/ screen shot). Is this in case of potential a/c swap and F will eventually be available if a/c sticks?
They've loaded a high-J 763 but will only sell F to 30 seats in case of a swap back to the regular 763. Since you are flying from an outstation to a hub, I would only expect them to unblock the remaining 16 seats once the inbound is airborne at the earliest (i.e., no more than 24 hours out). If you are departing from a hub, however, they likely wouldn't unblock them until the flight went to gate control.
Old Mar 18, 21, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
They've loaded a high-J 763 but will only sell F to 30 seats in case of a swap back to the regular 763. Since you are flying from an outstation to a hub, I would only expect them to unblock the remaining 16 seats once the inbound is airborne at the earliest (i.e., no more than 24 hours out). If you are departing from a hub, however, they likely wouldn't unblock them until the flight went to gate control.
That makes sense. The plane overnights on Maui, so maybe if the high-J plane sticks, I'll wake up to a pleasant surprise. No big deal if it doesn't - mid-morning flight eastbound is one of the least annoying coach rides to the mainland, IMHO.
Old Mar 18, 21, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
That makes sense. The plane overnights on Maui, so maybe if the high-J plane sticks, I'll wake up to a pleasant surprise. No big deal if it doesn't - mid-morning flight eastbound is one of the least annoying coach rides to the mainland, IMHO.
If you're angling for an upgrade, this is about as good a situation to be in if the high-J plane sticks: 1/3 of the J cabin held back for sale until the very last minute (or not at all). If you're trying to buy a J ticket outright, not so much.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: