Re-enaging with UA

Old Sep 8, 20, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K x6yrs, Ex-AAExecPlat, Delta 360, Mariott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AMEX Centurion, Avis First
Re-engaging with UA

OMG ... I can't believe this is happening again ... I must have been a very evil person in another life ... starting up the road warrior travel routine after an *11 year* hiatus (NYC to AUS/BDU/CNX/BOM/LHR/etc...) ... need to understand the new CoVID-19 drama and changes to the program ... I was GS (or CO PPE) for 6yrs before I stopped ... what the hell have I gotten myself into!? ;-(
DCFlyIAD likes this.

Last edited by circitmage; Sep 10, 20 at 7:40 am
Old Sep 8, 20, 4:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by circitmage View Post
,,, need to understand the new CoVID-19 drama and changes to the program ... ....
Rather then try to cover that breadth of topics in a single thread and an 11 year gap is a lot to cover, there are numerous threads --
such as
COVID-19 UA inflight service changes
COVID19 UA-Schedule- 46% Dom/33% Intl of Oct 2019; Permanent dropping of change fees
UA • CONFIRMS • Status Extension to JAN 2022; PQP Thresholds Reduced by for 2020
COVID19: UA Extended 80 JAN 31 2020 PlusPoints → APR but NOW → OCT 2020
COVID19: ALL Polaris Lounges, Most UCs Temporarily Suspend Ops Due to Reduced Demand
UA COVID19 precautions: no longer blocking middle seats ,**REQUIRING** mask usage,
Change Fees Are Gone For Good
and some oldest but relevant
Introducing PlusPoints – New Upgrade Benefits for MileagePlus Premier Members
New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors
Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal
Changes To UA MileagePlus Coming On NOV 15, 2019 (Dynamic UA Awards - No More Chart)
SPN Lifer, BlueZebra, Kmxu and 3 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 8, 20 at 5:02 pm
Old Sep 8, 20, 5:40 pm

OMG ... I can't believe this is happening again ... I must have been a very evil person in another life ... starting up the road warrior travel routine after an *11 year* hiatus (NYC to AUS/BDU/CNX/BOM/LHR/etc...) ... need to understand the new CoVID-19 drama and changes to the program ... I was GS (or CO PPE) for 6yrs before I stopped ... what the hell have I gotten myself into!? ;-(
You signed up voluntarily, right? Why the drama then?
Old Sep 9, 20, 12:40 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Is the thread title meant to be "Re-engaging" or "Re-enraging?" Or, are they the same thing to the OP?
Old Sep 9, 20, 3:13 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Safe (and smooth) travels. Your question is a bit open-ended, do you have a more specific area of concern or interest?
Old Sep 9, 20, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I don't really understand what this has to do with UA?
Old Sep 9, 20, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.94 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
A few of major changes

OP, there are too many changes occurred in the past 11 years. I just want to list a few of them.
1) MP qualification is based upon both flight segment and fare. Fortunately, these qualification thresholds are halved due to the pandemic. So, it is easier to reach Premier Silver, Gold, Plat and 1K status this year as your travel frequency increases.
2) You will sit at regular economy section at the beginning until you reach Premier Silver status, at that time you can select E+ (economy plus with extra 3-4 in legroom) at check-in (T-24 h). Once you reach Premier Gold status, you can select E+ seat at booking. This will not apply to you if you buy First Class/Business tickets, of course.
3) Upgrades from economy tickets: Complimentary Premier Upgrade (CPU) is available after you reach Premier Silver status except for EWR-SFO/LAX and SFO-BOS, long Hawaii routes and long-haul international routes. Once you reach Plat status, you will receive PlusPoints for upgrades for any flight (more PlusPoints for 1Ks). You can also upgrade with miles or cash.
4) Earning of award miles is based upon fare amount multiplied by a factor (depending upon your premier status).
Good luck with your travel.
narvik, circitmage and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/1K x6yrs, Ex-AAExecPlat, Delta 360, Mariott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AMEX Centurion, Avis First
thanks ... very helpful
Old Sep 9, 20, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
thanks ... very helpful
TL;DR... Most important, I think you'll find *most* everyone who is travelling already feels very safe. Lower your service expectations, especially in premium cabins. Depending on your origins and destinations, be ready to choose between far fewer daily flights and less nonstops. And be ready for schedule changes if you're booking more than a month in advance, because routes/schedules are changing frequently.

Of course, if you didn't expect all of this already with a global pandemic going on, then you may have bigger problems!
circitmage likes this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by wpcoe View Post
Is the thread title meant to be "Re-engaging" or "Re-enraging?"
Perhaps a helpful moderator could make the appropriate spelling change to the thread title?
DCFlyIAD, kirkwoodj and circitmage like this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Especially if your employer has a corporate travel contract, can you get comped UA (assuming that focusing your travel on UA makes sense or is required by your employer) FF status initially to make your travel a bit easier?

2. If not, is UA still selling Y+ subscriptions or other annual packages that include Y+ seats, shorter lines, etc.? That could make the beginning easier for the OP, although since it's probably unlikely to be reimbursed by the employer (or OP might not want to ask in a new position), OP might feel it's not worth it.

3. Investigate applying for GE/TSA-PreCheck/NEXUS and note that many credit cards refund the application fees.

ADDED: Does it make sense to apply for a UA credit card, a credit card that includes (UA?) lounge access, or even a PP (or similar) membership? Check lounge possibilities for airports you will use frequently.

Don't forget to think about hotel programs, rental cars, etc. Sometimes it can be beneficial to coordinate these choices with your choice of airline in that higher tier airline status can get you comped lower tier status (still worth something) with a hotel chain or car rental agency. [You might want to get a credit card affiliated with your hotel chain choice too if you're not required to use a corporate credit card or direct bill room charges.]
circitmage and Kmxu like this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 10, 20 at 6:52 am
Old Sep 10, 20, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wpcoe View Post
Is the thread title meant to be "Re-engaging" or "Re-enraging?" Or, are they the same thing to the OP?
Great minds think alike.
circitmage and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 10, 20, 7:54 am
Original Poster

My travel MO in the old days was to fly on a full fare economy ticket (Y) ... I nearly always rented from Avis and stayed at Hyatts ... I had a UA credit card that gave me bonuses and made life a bit easier ... As a GS with a UA credit card flying in the F cabin, I also was comped into the Airport lounges at most places (eventually, I bought lounge membership for those rare occasions where that privilege was not available) ... I didn't need to worry about status since I was flying so much and was upgraded to first effectively 100% of the time *at* the time of booking ... my recollection of status decisions was that it was based on BIS miles flown over a certain period ... GS status was an invite only thing granted to particularly "valuable" UA 1Ks ... there was a lot of sturm'und'drang (here and elsewhere) when UA changed GS eligibility to factoring in revenue and segments ... partner airlines had mediocre mileage reciprocity arrangements
Old Sep 10, 20, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a GS with a UA credit card flying in the F cabin, I also was comped into the Airport lounges at most places
They are providing complimentary United Club access for GS members in 2021. However, I suspect the service level isn't the same as it was 15 years ago.

I didn't need to worry about status since I was flying so much and was upgraded to first effectively 100% of the time *at* the time of booking ...
Do not expect that to happen these days, whether flying domestically or internationally. On CPU-eligible flights -- domestic and short-haul international, excluding the 'premium' transcontinental service from SFO-EWR/BOS or LAX-EWR (and vv) -- a Premier member with a Y/B ticket can be upgraded automatically at the time of booking, but there are now capacity controls on that, so it won't happen every time and might not happen at all.

my recollection of status decisions was that it was based on BIS miles flown over a certain period
Yes, the status program was completely reworked in 2020, and then COVID hit.

... GS status was an invite only thing granted to particularly "valuable" UA 1Ks
GS is still invite-only, although people have seemingly worked out the requirements to qualify -- it seems to be based upon raw spending on UA metal only, with a ranking that depends upon your home metro area. Partner airline flights simply do not count.
Old Sep 10, 20, 12:18 pm

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
They are providing complimentary United Club access for GS members in 2021. However, I suspect the service level isn't the same as it was 15 years ago.
Perhaps I'm an outlier, but I think that c. 2019 United Clubs were far superior to c. pre October 2009 Presidents Clubs (more reciprocal lounges with Star) or United Clubs (free booze) and in either case much better food, better wifi and more modern furniture. The only big reduction is that United has never really allowed showers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: