Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New UA Routes SEP 2020 • EWR ↔ OGG/JNB • ORD ↔ KOA/DEL/TLV • IAD ↔ LOS/ACC • SFO↔BLR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Strengthens Global Network, Adding New Nonstops to Africa, India and Hawaii
United to operate first-ever nonstop service between the United States and Bangalore, India and new service between Chicago and New Delhi, India
Announces new nonstop service between U.S. East Coast and Accra, Ghana; Lagos, Nigeria; and Johannesburg, South Africa
First-ever nonstop service between Chicago and Kona and between Newark/New York and Maui
CHICAGO, Sept. 9, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced plans to expand its global route network with new nonstop service to Africa, India and Hawaii. With these new routes, United will offer more nonstop service to India and South Africa than any other U.S. carrier and remains the largest carrier between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii.

Starting this December, United will fly daily between Chicago and New Delhi and, starting in spring 2021, United will become the only airline to operate between San Francisco and Bangalore, India and between Newark/New York and Johannesburg. United will also introduce new service between Washington, D.C., and Accra, Ghana and Lagos, Nigeria in late spring of 2021. In the summer of 2021, United will fly nonstops four times weekly between Chicago and Kona and between Newark/New York and Maui. And starting this week, United, the airline offering more nonstop service to Israel than any other U.S. carrier, begins new nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv, the only carrier to offer this service.

United's newly announced international routes are subject to government approval and tickets will be available for purchase on united.com and the United app in the coming weeks.

"Now is the right time to take a bold step in evolving our global network to help our customers reconnect with friends, family and colleagues around the world," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network and Alliances. "These new nonstop routes provide shorter travel times and convenient one-stop connections from across the United States, demonstrating United's continued innovative and forward-looking approach to rebuilding our network to meet the travel needs of our customers."

Offering nonstop service to three new destinations in Africa

United will become the only U.S. carrier serving Accra nonstop from Washington, D.C. and the only airline to serve Lagos nonstop from Washington, D.C., with three weekly flights to each destination beginning in late spring 2021. The Washington metropolitan area has the second-largest population of Ghanaians in the United States, and Lagos is the largest Western African destination from the United States. Now, with 65 different U.S. cities connecting through Washington Dulles, United will offer convenient one-stop connections to Western Africa.

United already provides seasonal, three-times-weekly service between Newark/New York and Cape Town. By adding new daily nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Johannesburg in spring 2021, the airline will operate more flights to South Africa than any other U.S. carrier, and will offer the only roundtrip, nonstop service from the United States to Johannesburg by a U.S carrier. These routes also offer easy connections for customers traveling to South Africa from more than 50 U.S. cities.

New nonstops to India from two U.S. cities

United has served India with nonstop service for 15 years and now builds on its existing service to New Delhi and Mumbai with two new routes. Beginning December 2020, United will introduce new nonstop service between Chicago and New Delhi and, for the first time ever, United customers will be able to travel nonstop between San Francisco and Bangalore starting spring 2021. Chicago has the second highest population of Indian-Americans in the United States, and customers from more than 130 U.S. cities can connect on United through O'Hare International Airport. Service from San Francisco to Bangalore connects two international technology hubs, broadening United's west coast service to India, which also includes San Francisco to New Delhi.

New nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv

Beginning, Thursday, Sept. 10, United will start brand-new three-times-weekly nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv. In addition to Chicago, United currently operates nonstop service between Tel Aviv and its hubs in Newark/New York and San Francisco and will resume service between Washington and Tel Aviv in October. The airline operates more nonstop service between the United States and Israel than any U.S. airline.

United expanding Hawaii service to the Midwest and East Coast
As customers look to resume leisure travel options, United will make it easier than ever to travel nonstop to Maui and Kona for the 2021 summer season. With the addition of new flights between both Newark/New York and Maui and Chicago and Kona, United will provide customers in the Midwest and U.S. East Coast with even faster and more convenient service to the Hawaiian Islands than any other airline.
Print Wikipost

New UA Routes SEP 2020 • EWR ↔ OGG/JNB • ORD ↔ KOA/DEL/TLV • IAD ↔ LOS/ACC • SFO↔BLR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by GSP flyer
Supposedly, it's 7 routes, so here are my guesses
1. EWR-OGG (the 4903 next to the lei is a giveaway)
2. EWR/IAD-ABJ-ACC (the bracelets on the guys hands are Ghana and Ivory Coast)
3. EWR-JNB (South African passport stamp, plus South African is basically dead at this point-it's logical UA'd want to beat DL to the punch on it)
4. ORD-DEL (ORD and DEL are on the map, and I think it's a stronger business case than IAH-DEL)
5. SFO-BKK (the phone says Bangkok)
6. IAH-AKL (there's a map of Australia/NZ at the bottom, but the focus seems to be NZ; this could also maybe be LAX/SFO-CHC)
7. IAD-VIE (the focus on Vienna in the map of DC is strange, so that's my guess Austrian's also getting out of the 767 game too, so UA picking it up fits)
I agree with most of these but don't think AKL. If you look the map that includes AKL has a big X on it which i read means they aren't adding on that route.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tj96821
While the Royal Thai Government would prefer TG service to the U.S., it would be elated to have a direct pipeline of passengers from the U.S.
Middle class and wealthy Thais will also be happy in the event UA resumes service to BKK.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Thai government would be fine with this, as they will want to ramp up tourism income once they get things opened up.
Keep in mind, the government remains a major shareholder in TG. Furthermore, from what I read, both the government and TG officials were offended by the FAA's decision, and there were accusations that it was motivated by a desire to keep TG from operating US routes (as a favor to US competitors), as opposed to actual deficiencies in aviation safety procedures in Thailand.

Now, that could be apocryphal, or feelings may have thawed, or it might well have been a minority opinion that I read. The fact that the open skies treaty is still in force suggests that the rift must not have been too substantial.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
I think any longhaul leisure (besides Hawaii, which under normal circumstances will work from anywhere) will be from coastal hubs. While COVID obliterated business travel to markets like NYC, BOS, SFO, WAS, the upper-income passengers who used to populate those flights are largely still employed, working seamlessly from home, at substantially the same pay, perhaps with a stash of money saved from six-months-plus of limited discretionary spending. Without delving into the socioeconomic impact of the virus, there's little doubt that these passengers are itching to travel again, and still have the means to do so.

A nonstop EWR-OGG on a high-J 767 (or, now that I think of it, probably a 788/789) on Saturdays, and daily during seasonal peaks, would probably be a winner, shuttling upper/middle class NY/NJ/PA'ers to their Maui timeshares, avoiding HNL or West Coast connections. This is especially true given the glut of WB capacity UA will likely have this winter, since LHR slot use requirements won't be enforced and most other EU flights probably won't even operate. Plenty of frames will go to ROW in the next few months, but with cheap fuel and no business case to serve many conventional markets, UA has a unique opportunity to try some experimental routes in a "what do you have to lose" scenario.

Somewhat unrelated, but friends in New York high finance report a bit of a sea change of late, with several well-known firms accelerating their return-to-the-office protocols to October and November of this year (from previous plans of early- to mid-2021). This is good news for the airline industry, if for no other reason than business travel was always going to follow the widespread reopening of offices. Whether employees are happy about it is another story entirely, but in a monkey-see, monkey-do world, all it takes is one player to start sending people back on the road for the competition to follow suit, and this brings us one step closer to it.

Eventually, the quarantine "recommendations" and orders will be lifted (there's a good-faith argument, supportable by facts, that they've been totally ineffective, anyway) and people will come back.
While I do agree on acceleration of returning to work (I work at one of these firms and am seeing it happen), I would also say that I have not read / seen / heard anything that suggests that companies are going to ramp up business travel as a result. Frankly speaking, it will be a way to boost a firm’s bottom line if they continue to hold a strict line on travel expenses, and if you cannot travel from NYC to 2/3 of the US without having to undergo a 14-day quarantine when coming back, then there is simply going to be no appetite to encourage this kind of travel, especially since the list of states can change day by day. These companies will simply not engage in any meaningful business travel unless it is absolutely essential and can be done without having to isolate for a material amount of time afterwards.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsloan
Keep in mind, the government remains a major shareholder in TG. Furthermore, from what I read, both the government and TG officials were offended by the FAA's decision, and there were accusations that it was motivated by a desire to keep TG from operating US routes (as a favor to US competitors), as opposed to actual deficiencies in aviation safety procedures in Thailand.

Now, that could be apocryphal, or feelings may have thawed, or it might well have been a minority opinion that I read. The fact that the open skies treaty is still in force suggests that the rift must not have been too substantial.
Thanks for the additional color. Be interesting to see how TG comes out of COVID. I haven't tracked it in detail, but seems TG has some major financial burdens.
Limiting a single USA<->BKK route isn't going to have a material impact overall, but can't rely on everyone involved to be logical.

I am standing by to do a happy dance if BKK is announced.
JNelson113 and jsloan like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
While I do agree on acceleration of returning to work (I work at one of these firms and am seeing it happen), I would also say that I have not read / seen / heard anything that suggests that companies are going to ramp up business travel as a result. Frankly speaking, it will be a way to boost a firm’s bottom line if they continue to hold a strict line on travel expenses, and if you cannot travel from NYC to 2/3 of the US without having to undergo a 14-day quarantine when coming back, then there is simply going to be no appetite to encourage this kind of travel, especially since the list of states can change day by day. These companies will simply not engage in any meaningful business travel unless it is absolutely essential and can be done without having to isolate for a material amount of time afterwards.
It's just the first step. There's no chance --zero-- of corporate travel if people aren't even allowed back in the office. As recently as earlier in the summer, plenty of major firms were discussing Q1 2021 and later for returning to offices, and only in the last few weeks have things quickly moved up. My firm is already back in the office on a semi-regular basis. As for travel restriction, business travelers were always exempt from the NY/NJ "soft quarantine", and I think we'll start to see a lot of the restrictions drop off in the coming weeks, including international.

Once it happens, it'll trend pretty quickly. Again, monkey-see, monkey-do. There's some daylight regarding consumer confidence vis-a-vis COVID-19, and that's why I think it's good business for United to capitalize on this window, however long it lasts, to stimulate some bookings.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a
I agree with most of these but don't think AKL. If you look the map that includes AKL has a big X on it which i read means they aren't adding on that route.
The X seems to be a reference to not have to island hop to get to New Zealand. Maybe that means Christchurch rather than Auckland, but there has to be an IAH route somewhere.Regardless, we'll find out soon.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
no way SFO-BLR is happening!!!!

3 africa routes, 2 india adds, and 2 hawaii adds.
EWR764 likes this.

Announced:

ORD-DEL
ORD-KOA
EWR-JNB
EWR-OGG
SFO-BLR(!!)
IAD-ACC
IAD-LOS

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Looks like PsiFighter37
beat me to it, but here is the release too: https://hub.united.com/2020-09-09-un...647535777.html
Chicago - New Delhi, India
Chicago - Kona, Hawaii
New York/Newark - Johannesburg, South Africa
New York/Newark - Maui, Hawaii
San Francisco - Bangalore, India
Washington D.C. - Accra, Ghana
Washington D.C. - Lagos, Nigeria
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
EWR-OGG (4x weekly)
EWR-JNB (Daily)

ORD-KOA (4x weekly)
ORD-DEL (Daily)

SFO-BLR (Daily)

IAD-LOS (3x weekly)
IAD-ACC (3x weekly)
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
None of those seem particularly interesting to me, I was really hoping for SFO-BKK.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:05 am

Really curious to hear how UA is going to make SFO-BLR work on the 789...thought the Himalayas made that impossible.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:06 am

so much hype.. over what? hawaii with its 2 week quarantine?

https://hub.united.com/2020-09-09-un...647535777.html

Originally Posted by BThumme
None of those seem particularly interesting to me, I was really hoping for SFO-BKK.
the united hype machine is strong.. very good marketing dept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.