Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New UA Routes SEP 2020 • EWR ↔ OGG/JNB • ORD ↔ KOA/DEL/TLV • IAD ↔ LOS/ACC • SFO↔BLR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Strengthens Global Network, Adding New Nonstops to Africa, India and Hawaii
United to operate first-ever nonstop service between the United States and Bangalore, India and new service between Chicago and New Delhi, India
Announces new nonstop service between U.S. East Coast and Accra, Ghana; Lagos, Nigeria; and Johannesburg, South Africa
First-ever nonstop service between Chicago and Kona and between Newark/New York and Maui
CHICAGO, Sept. 9, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced plans to expand its global route network with new nonstop service to Africa, India and Hawaii. With these new routes, United will offer more nonstop service to India and South Africa than any other U.S. carrier and remains the largest carrier between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii.

Starting this December, United will fly daily between Chicago and New Delhi and, starting in spring 2021, United will become the only airline to operate between San Francisco and Bangalore, India and between Newark/New York and Johannesburg. United will also introduce new service between Washington, D.C., and Accra, Ghana and Lagos, Nigeria in late spring of 2021. In the summer of 2021, United will fly nonstops four times weekly between Chicago and Kona and between Newark/New York and Maui. And starting this week, United, the airline offering more nonstop service to Israel than any other U.S. carrier, begins new nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv, the only carrier to offer this service.

United's newly announced international routes are subject to government approval and tickets will be available for purchase on united.com and the United app in the coming weeks.

"Now is the right time to take a bold step in evolving our global network to help our customers reconnect with friends, family and colleagues around the world," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network and Alliances. "These new nonstop routes provide shorter travel times and convenient one-stop connections from across the United States, demonstrating United's continued innovative and forward-looking approach to rebuilding our network to meet the travel needs of our customers."

Offering nonstop service to three new destinations in Africa

United will become the only U.S. carrier serving Accra nonstop from Washington, D.C. and the only airline to serve Lagos nonstop from Washington, D.C., with three weekly flights to each destination beginning in late spring 2021. The Washington metropolitan area has the second-largest population of Ghanaians in the United States, and Lagos is the largest Western African destination from the United States. Now, with 65 different U.S. cities connecting through Washington Dulles, United will offer convenient one-stop connections to Western Africa.

United already provides seasonal, three-times-weekly service between Newark/New York and Cape Town. By adding new daily nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Johannesburg in spring 2021, the airline will operate more flights to South Africa than any other U.S. carrier, and will offer the only roundtrip, nonstop service from the United States to Johannesburg by a U.S carrier. These routes also offer easy connections for customers traveling to South Africa from more than 50 U.S. cities.

New nonstops to India from two U.S. cities

United has served India with nonstop service for 15 years and now builds on its existing service to New Delhi and Mumbai with two new routes. Beginning December 2020, United will introduce new nonstop service between Chicago and New Delhi and, for the first time ever, United customers will be able to travel nonstop between San Francisco and Bangalore starting spring 2021. Chicago has the second highest population of Indian-Americans in the United States, and customers from more than 130 U.S. cities can connect on United through O'Hare International Airport. Service from San Francisco to Bangalore connects two international technology hubs, broadening United's west coast service to India, which also includes San Francisco to New Delhi.

New nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv

Beginning, Thursday, Sept. 10, United will start brand-new three-times-weekly nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv. In addition to Chicago, United currently operates nonstop service between Tel Aviv and its hubs in Newark/New York and San Francisco and will resume service between Washington and Tel Aviv in October. The airline operates more nonstop service between the United States and Israel than any U.S. airline.

United expanding Hawaii service to the Midwest and East Coast
As customers look to resume leisure travel options, United will make it easier than ever to travel nonstop to Maui and Kona for the 2021 summer season. With the addition of new flights between both Newark/New York and Maui and Chicago and Kona, United will provide customers in the Midwest and U.S. East Coast with even faster and more convenient service to the Hawaiian Islands than any other airline.
Print Wikipost

New UA Routes SEP 2020 • EWR ↔ OGG/JNB • ORD ↔ KOA/DEL/TLV • IAD ↔ LOS/ACC • SFO↔BLR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Elsewhere, IAH-GYE was mentioned, but I believe UA gave up that authority several years ago, which was picked up by JetBlue. Ecuador-USA do not yet have Open Skies.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:26 pm

Photo #13 is a curious one. If you scroll down the phone alphabetically on the list of cities, the thumb of the scroller is on the city directly below Bandar Seri. At first it seemed the next city alphabetically would be Bangalore but if you look closely at the letter after the letter "g" on the next city, it appears to be a partial letter "k", which means BKK. Not sure what FAA restrictions there are on UA flying to BKK as mentioned by "Nexus7556" (recall TG got into trouble with the FAA on mechanical issues & assume UA has the mechanical side of things covered) but the hint in photo #13 clearly seems to be a UA teaser about resuming service to BKK. SFO-BKK would be good but any other UA hub to BKK would be welcome too.
wxguy likes this.

Last edited by tj96821; Sep 9, 2020 at 12:09 am
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:47 pm

Supposedly, it's 7 routes, so here are my guesses
1. EWR-OGG (the 4903 next to the lei is a giveaway)
2. EWR/IAD-ABJ-ACC (the bracelets on the guys hands are Ghana and Ivory Coast)
3. EWR-JNB (South African passport stamp, plus South African is basically dead at this point-it's logical UA'd want to beat DL to the punch on it)
4. ORD-DEL (ORD and DEL are on the map, and I think it's a stronger business case than IAH-DEL)
5. SFO-BKK (the phone says Bangkok)
6. IAH-AKL (there's a map of Australia/NZ at the bottom, but the focus seems to be NZ; this could also maybe be LAX/SFO-CHC)
7. IAD-VIE (the focus on Vienna in the map of DC is strange, so that's my guess Austrian's also getting out of the 767 game too, so UA picking it up fits)
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:54 pm

Programs: UNITED 1K, THAI ROP GOLD, Marriott PLAT, Hilton Gold
I agree with those guess and banking on sfo or ord to bkk
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tj96821
Photo #13 is a curious one. If you scroll down alphabetically on the list of cities, the thumb of the scroller is on the city directly below Bandar Seri. At first it seemed the next city alphabetically would be Bangalore but if you look closely at the letter after the letter "g" on the next city, it appears to be a partial letter "k", which means BKK.
Keep in mind, these announcements are best seen as professional troll jobs. I doubt that UA is going to announce 32 new routes tomorrow, even if people can find an explanation for each picture.

"B" could just as easily be "Berlin," and since they appear, finally, to be opening Berlin Brandenburg, it wouldn't be much of a shock to get UA service there.

FWIW, Thailand's FAA Category 2 rating (aka: not in compliance with ICAO standards; aka: bad) is still in place. That would prohibit Thai from starting service to the US, and it also prohibits UA from codesharing with a Thai airline. However, it would not prohibit UA from starting service there, and the US/Thailand open-skies treaty is still in force. I'm not sure how thrilled the Thai government would be about this service, though...

Note that Ghana is also FAA Category 2, for those of you looking at Accra. However, Costa Rica is also Category 2, and that hasn't stopped UA from operating to LIR and SJO.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje

?
Looks like one route is going to be a non-rev special
uanj, MatthewLAX and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
the non-rev's bag tag barcode in image (20) reads:

maybe we have a resident numerologist on FT?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Where's $misek when you need him?
He's gone! He is not coming back! Find something else.
EWR764 and MatthewLAX like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:27 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Looks like one route is going to be a non-rev special
With HVY bags?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
Here are stills of everything that seems to contain any potential clue, along with my guesses. Anyone able to pick up on anything additional?

is from a drone footage of a Swedish city

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/c...den-aerial-top

Last edited by iandm; Sep 9, 2020 at 4:07 am
Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
FWIW, Thailand's FAA Category 2 rating (aka: not in compliance with ICAO standards; aka: bad) is still in place. That would prohibit Thai from starting service to the US, and it also prohibits UA from codesharing with a Thai airline. However, it would not prohibit UA from starting service there, and the US/Thailand open-skies treaty is still in force. I'm not sure how thrilled the Thai government would be about this service, though...
I would love SFO-BKK too, but given current Thai government arriving flight restrictions, which will likely persist several more months, surely UA would want to wait before announcing a service it may not be able to start.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 1:11 am

"B" could just as easily be "Berlin," and since they appear, finally, to be opening Berlin Brandenburg, it wouldn't be much of a shock to get UA service there. I'm not sure how thrilled the Thai government would be about this service, though..
Absolutely B could be for Berlin.

While the Royal Thai Government would prefer TG service to the U.S., it would be elated to have a direct pipeline of passengers from the U.S.
Middle class and wealthy Thais will also be happy in the event UA resumes service to BKK.

Nice thing about this tease is we'll have the answer in just a few hours.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780

Side note.... um could have just been a tricky camera angle, but the guy at his kitchen table with white headphones, dressed business on the top, but casual on the bottom seemed to have been in... an ... um "excited" state under the table
Well that's how new international routes make me feel! But as a female I am a bit less expressive . . . . .
jhayes_1780 and goodeats21 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

I do wonder - if they restart SFO-BKK, does that absolve Scott Kirby of all of his perceived shortcomings in the eyes of FTers??
For me, yes. If we can get direct BKK service, I will forgive a lot of other things.

Originally Posted by nexus7556
As much as I would love SFO-BKK, my understanding is the lack of this route is due to FAA restrictions, not the airlines.
Not aware of any FAA restrictions to start this route. Can you elaborate?

Thai government would be fine with this, as they will want to ramp up tourism income once they get things opened up.

Originally Posted by tj96821

While the Royal Thai Government would prefer TG service to the U.S., it would be elated to have a direct pipeline of passengers from the U.S.
Middle class and wealthy Thais will also be happy in the event UA resumes service to BKK.

Nice thing about this tease is we'll have the answer in just a few hours.
Agree. On both counts.
Fingers crossed.
wxguy likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Those rascals.

Setting aside the destination question, what's the group's take on where the new service is going to be launched from?

For example, in recent months IAH / DEN / ORD seem to be carrying a larger part of the domestic network load vs the same time in 2019 where EWR / SFO (and IAD was ramping up) had a massive domestic connection operation to support their international service. That's not to say SFO / EWR did not have domestic O/D + connecting traffic but rather the Pacific bank for SFO and Atlantic bank for EWR served to amplify the domestic demand (i.e. support domestic connections to/from the international service) which in turn allowed the international focused hubs to punch above their weight in terms of their domestic offerings.

Hence my original question: assuming UA's bringing back long-haul (or even mid-haul) operations to [whatever] destinations, where do you see the new routes as being launched from? The coastal hubs to capture O/D or the heartland ones to leverage the domestic connections?
I think any longhaul leisure (besides Hawaii, which under normal circumstances will work from anywhere) will be from coastal hubs. While COVID obliterated business travel to markets like NYC, BOS, SFO, WAS, the upper-income passengers who used to populate those flights are largely still employed, working seamlessly from home, at substantially the same pay, perhaps with a stash of money saved from six-months-plus of limited discretionary spending. Without delving into the socioeconomic impact of the virus, there's little doubt that these passengers are itching to travel again, and still have the means to do so.

A nonstop EWR-OGG on a high-J 767 (or, now that I think of it, probably a 788/789) on Saturdays, and daily during seasonal peaks, would probably be a winner, shuttling upper/middle class NY/NJ/PA'ers to their Maui timeshares, avoiding HNL or West Coast connections. This is especially true given the glut of WB capacity UA will likely have this winter, since LHR slot use requirements won't be enforced and most other EU flights probably won't even operate. Plenty of frames will go to ROW in the next few months, but with cheap fuel and no business case to serve many conventional markets, UA has a unique opportunity to try some experimental routes in a "what do you have to lose" scenario.

Somewhat unrelated, but friends in New York high finance report a bit of a sea change of late, with several well-known firms accelerating their return-to-the-office protocols to October and November of this year (from previous plans of early- to mid-2021). This is good news for the airline industry, if for no other reason than business travel was always going to follow the widespread reopening of offices. Whether employees are happy about it is another story entirely, but in a monkey-see, monkey-do world, all it takes is one player to start sending people back on the road for the competition to follow suit, and this brings us one step closer to it.

Eventually, the quarantine "recommendations" and orders will be lifted (there's a good-faith argument, supportable by facts, that they've been totally ineffective, anyway) and people will come back.
JNelson113 and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.