Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New UA Routes SEP 2020 • EWR ↔ OGG/JNB • ORD ↔ KOA/DEL/TLV • IAD ↔ LOS/ACC • SFO↔BLR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Strengthens Global Network, Adding New Nonstops to Africa, India and Hawaii
United to operate first-ever nonstop service between the United States and Bangalore, India and new service between Chicago and New Delhi, India
Announces new nonstop service between U.S. East Coast and Accra, Ghana; Lagos, Nigeria; and Johannesburg, South Africa
First-ever nonstop service between Chicago and Kona and between Newark/New York and Maui
CHICAGO, Sept. 9, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced plans to expand its global route network with new nonstop service to Africa, India and Hawaii. With these new routes, United will offer more nonstop service to India and South Africa than any other U.S. carrier and remains the largest carrier between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii.

Starting this December, United will fly daily between Chicago and New Delhi and, starting in spring 2021, United will become the only airline to operate between San Francisco and Bangalore, India and between Newark/New York and Johannesburg. United will also introduce new service between Washington, D.C., and Accra, Ghana and Lagos, Nigeria in late spring of 2021. In the summer of 2021, United will fly nonstops four times weekly between Chicago and Kona and between Newark/New York and Maui. And starting this week, United, the airline offering more nonstop service to Israel than any other U.S. carrier, begins new nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv, the only carrier to offer this service.

United's newly announced international routes are subject to government approval and tickets will be available for purchase on united.com and the United app in the coming weeks.

"Now is the right time to take a bold step in evolving our global network to help our customers reconnect with friends, family and colleagues around the world," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network and Alliances. "These new nonstop routes provide shorter travel times and convenient one-stop connections from across the United States, demonstrating United's continued innovative and forward-looking approach to rebuilding our network to meet the travel needs of our customers."

Offering nonstop service to three new destinations in Africa

United will become the only U.S. carrier serving Accra nonstop from Washington, D.C. and the only airline to serve Lagos nonstop from Washington, D.C., with three weekly flights to each destination beginning in late spring 2021. The Washington metropolitan area has the second-largest population of Ghanaians in the United States, and Lagos is the largest Western African destination from the United States. Now, with 65 different U.S. cities connecting through Washington Dulles, United will offer convenient one-stop connections to Western Africa.

United already provides seasonal, three-times-weekly service between Newark/New York and Cape Town. By adding new daily nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Johannesburg in spring 2021, the airline will operate more flights to South Africa than any other U.S. carrier, and will offer the only roundtrip, nonstop service from the United States to Johannesburg by a U.S carrier. These routes also offer easy connections for customers traveling to South Africa from more than 50 U.S. cities.

New nonstops to India from two U.S. cities

United has served India with nonstop service for 15 years and now builds on its existing service to New Delhi and Mumbai with two new routes. Beginning December 2020, United will introduce new nonstop service between Chicago and New Delhi and, for the first time ever, United customers will be able to travel nonstop between San Francisco and Bangalore starting spring 2021. Chicago has the second highest population of Indian-Americans in the United States, and customers from more than 130 U.S. cities can connect on United through O'Hare International Airport. Service from San Francisco to Bangalore connects two international technology hubs, broadening United's west coast service to India, which also includes San Francisco to New Delhi.

New nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv

Beginning, Thursday, Sept. 10, United will start brand-new three-times-weekly nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv. In addition to Chicago, United currently operates nonstop service between Tel Aviv and its hubs in Newark/New York and San Francisco and will resume service between Washington and Tel Aviv in October. The airline operates more nonstop service between the United States and Israel than any U.S. airline.

United expanding Hawaii service to the Midwest and East Coast
As customers look to resume leisure travel options, United will make it easier than ever to travel nonstop to Maui and Kona for the 2021 summer season. With the addition of new flights between both Newark/New York and Maui and Chicago and Kona, United will provide customers in the Midwest and U.S. East Coast with even faster and more convenient service to the Hawaiian Islands than any other airline.
Print Wikipost

New UA Routes SEP 2020 • EWR ↔ OGG/JNB • ORD ↔ KOA/DEL/TLV • IAD ↔ LOS/ACC • SFO↔BLR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
...I suppose with so much international flying suspended, they have to figure out where to deploy all these widebodies now...
If it is EWR-OGG, it'll be interesting if lasts once int'l gets busy again. CO ran IAH-OGG until they decided to use the a/c (764s) to open Buenos Aires.

It'll also be interesting to see what the F fares will be. I think UA will be able to command a premium above EWR-HNL, but still not approach TPAC/TATL business route fares.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prestonh
28 is ORD north side
2 is jet stream analysis (vector winds) since it's for the southern jet it is farther south than itcz so presume a deep southern Africa or American route.
I think those are cherry blossoms in 28, above the ORD photo -- so to Japan? But they already have ORD-HND.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I think those are cherry blossoms in 28, above the ORD photo -- so to Japan? But they already have ORD-HND.
Cherry blossoms are also associated pretty strongly with Washington DC. The passport stamp next to the blossoms shows 'South Africa' and there is also a map of Africa right there. Perhaps they are trying to throw you off? I don't see too much more than suggests Japan in any of the other images, but there's lots that suggests African destinations.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
EWR-TFS
767 2xWeekly
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
MatthewLAX points out a really good hint, which is that the bracelets Quayle is wearing match the flags of Ghana and Ivory Coast. If I recall - didn't UA used to fly IAH-ACC? Perhaps they are resuming this route after discontinuing it some years ago?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
MatthewLAX points out a really good hint, which is that the bracelets Quayle is wearing match the flags of Ghana and Ivory Coast. If I recall - didn't UA used to fly IAH-ACC? Perhaps they are resuming this route after discontinuing it some years ago?
IAH-Lagos for a while.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by OWdevotee
EWR-TFS
767 2xWeekly
now that would be innovative but not going to happen
Old Sep 8, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld

Looking at one of the bracelets it has green, white and orange in the center. Guess is possible country flag colors? Google shows 4 countries with these colors. Ireland, India, Cote d'Ivoire, and Niger.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:04 pm

There's nothing else in the video that suggests India or Ireland... Abidjan would be interesting. No US carriers serve the airport, but it is linked to JFK by Ethiopian Airlines.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PandaSoPink

Looking at one of the bracelets it has green, white and orange in the center. Guess is possible country flag colors? Google shows 4 countries with these colors. Ireland, India, Cote d'Ivoire, and Niger.
The one in the back made me think immediately of Ghana with the star centered between the colors.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
UA flew IAD-ACC and IAH-LOS. Would LOVE to see something like EWR-ABJ-ACC!
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
As much as I would love SFO-BKK, my understanding is the lack of this route is due to FAA restrictions, not the airlines.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Talking

Originally Posted by nexus7556
As much as I would love SFO-BKK, my understanding is the lack of this route is due to FAA restrictions, not the airlines.
Where's $misek when you need him?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by CalanMan
To me, this long diagonal line looks an awful lot like a line from the aerial picture of EWR in the lower-left (associated in the up-close with the paper where the pin actually is), to ANC on the map. If you follow that string onward directly right off my clipping, it connects to the IAH clip that Steven John Sladic posted. So maybe either/both of those hubs to Alaska?
That looks like an aerial shot of the Baha'i Lotus Temple in Delhi in the center-left of the picture. UA already serves DEL from both SFO and EWR. But that seems like a really clear indication of an additional route to India. ORD to DEL?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
i was going to copy and paste my LAX-SGN rationale that i've been posting in these "new int'l announcement coming" threads for a few years now, but i'll spare everyone.

SFO-BLR would be a windfall for UA, but i just don't think the 789 has the legs because of the himalayas and the high/hot field at BLR.

EWR-OGG will be a home run. hopefully it's a dinnertime (or later) eastbound departure to maximize the final day on maui, but the schedule will probably mirror HNL-EWR's afternoon departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.