Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New UA Routes SEP 2020 • EWR ↔ OGG/JNB • ORD ↔ KOA/DEL/TLV • IAD ↔ LOS/ACC • SFO↔BLR

Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Strengthens Global Network, Adding New Nonstops to Africa, India and Hawaii
United to operate first-ever nonstop service between the United States and Bangalore, India and new service between Chicago and New Delhi, India
Announces new nonstop service between U.S. East Coast and Accra, Ghana; Lagos, Nigeria; and Johannesburg, South Africa
First-ever nonstop service between Chicago and Kona and between Newark/New York and Maui
CHICAGO, Sept. 9, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced plans to expand its global route network with new nonstop service to Africa, India and Hawaii. With these new routes, United will offer more nonstop service to India and South Africa than any other U.S. carrier and remains the largest carrier between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii.

Starting this December, United will fly daily between Chicago and New Delhi and, starting in spring 2021, United will become the only airline to operate between San Francisco and Bangalore, India and between Newark/New York and Johannesburg. United will also introduce new service between Washington, D.C., and Accra, Ghana and Lagos, Nigeria in late spring of 2021. In the summer of 2021, United will fly nonstops four times weekly between Chicago and Kona and between Newark/New York and Maui. And starting this week, United, the airline offering more nonstop service to Israel than any other U.S. carrier, begins new nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv, the only carrier to offer this service.

United's newly announced international routes are subject to government approval and tickets will be available for purchase on united.com and the United app in the coming weeks.

"Now is the right time to take a bold step in evolving our global network to help our customers reconnect with friends, family and colleagues around the world," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network and Alliances. "These new nonstop routes provide shorter travel times and convenient one-stop connections from across the United States, demonstrating United's continued innovative and forward-looking approach to rebuilding our network to meet the travel needs of our customers."

Offering nonstop service to three new destinations in Africa

United will become the only U.S. carrier serving Accra nonstop from Washington, D.C. and the only airline to serve Lagos nonstop from Washington, D.C., with three weekly flights to each destination beginning in late spring 2021. The Washington metropolitan area has the second-largest population of Ghanaians in the United States, and Lagos is the largest Western African destination from the United States. Now, with 65 different U.S. cities connecting through Washington Dulles, United will offer convenient one-stop connections to Western Africa.

United already provides seasonal, three-times-weekly service between Newark/New York and Cape Town. By adding new daily nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Johannesburg in spring 2021, the airline will operate more flights to South Africa than any other U.S. carrier, and will offer the only roundtrip, nonstop service from the United States to Johannesburg by a U.S carrier. These routes also offer easy connections for customers traveling to South Africa from more than 50 U.S. cities.

New nonstops to India from two U.S. cities

United has served India with nonstop service for 15 years and now builds on its existing service to New Delhi and Mumbai with two new routes. Beginning December 2020, United will introduce new nonstop service between Chicago and New Delhi and, for the first time ever, United customers will be able to travel nonstop between San Francisco and Bangalore starting spring 2021. Chicago has the second highest population of Indian-Americans in the United States, and customers from more than 130 U.S. cities can connect on United through O'Hare International Airport. Service from San Francisco to Bangalore connects two international technology hubs, broadening United's west coast service to India, which also includes San Francisco to New Delhi.

New nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv

Beginning, Thursday, Sept. 10, United will start brand-new three-times-weekly nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv. In addition to Chicago, United currently operates nonstop service between Tel Aviv and its hubs in Newark/New York and San Francisco and will resume service between Washington and Tel Aviv in October. The airline operates more nonstop service between the United States and Israel than any U.S. airline.

United expanding Hawaii service to the Midwest and East Coast
As customers look to resume leisure travel options, United will make it easier than ever to travel nonstop to Maui and Kona for the 2021 summer season. With the addition of new flights between both Newark/New York and Maui and Chicago and Kona, United will provide customers in the Midwest and U.S. East Coast with even faster and more convenient service to the Hawaiian Islands than any other airline.
Print Wikipost

New UA Routes SEP 2020 • EWR ↔ OGG/JNB • ORD ↔ KOA/DEL/TLV • IAD ↔ LOS/ACC • SFO↔BLR

Old Sep 8, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
A direct flight to the Maldives, Seychelles, or Bali (eg, EWR-MLE or SFO-DPS) would be nice! Given how SFO-PPT has performed, I think these would be quite popular.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Sweet! Can't wait to see what's on this week's dartboard.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
My favorite parts of the video were all the passports (INTL routes!) and a quick but pronounced view of the Tulip!

VIE would be great, that was one dot on our scrubbed July vacation plan.

Edit: loved the sound effect in the last 2 seconds. How I miss even that sigh....
Where's the tulip?

The guy winking at the end was creepy
traveling bijorn likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 5:59 pm

I would guess a number of these routes won't be slated to start for months, and in some cases until mid-2021.

Africa seems to figure in the video. As mentioned, I could see Dakar DSS getting service, and given the Delta flight to JFK, I would think UA would go via IAD, which may also be better for connections. That's doable on a 763.

SAA is also not doing well and is subleasing A350s for their New York service. Would UA perhaps look to capitalize and go into JNB? South Africa is underserved from the United States, with the majority of the traffic going via Europe or the Middle East. There's a decent cargo market into South African as well. I'm not sure if air rights are available, but if UA/SAA have agreed on a JV on that route, I would think the RSA Government would resolve any rights issues. SAA could then continue to operate IAD-ACC-JNB, linking into the UA network. Just a thought.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Does definitely seem like EWR-OGG is on the table...would love that. No idea on international routes - certainly would think the 'GMT' means we are getting a route to that time zone. Maybe SFO-DUB? UA already flies from every hub to LHR (pre-pandemic), and I can't imagine UA would add additional service to Portugal (the only other European country in GMT that makes some sense) beyond their previous EWR-LIS/OPO service.

I do wonder - if they restart SFO-BKK, does that absolve Scott Kirby of all of his perceived shortcomings in the eyes of FTers??
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here are stills of everything that seems to contain any potential clue, along with my guesses. Anyone able to pick up on anything additional?

Originally Posted by UA teaser
?

Africa route?

?

?

SA route?

long haul route?

EWR origin

Tulip!

?

ORD and IAD international routes?

International routes

?

?

ORD routes

?

?

?

EWR-HI some island

ORD route

?

ORD 763?

EWR route

?

?

Polaris route

Arctic route

IAD route

?

?

?

?

International
Dromomaniac likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Here are stills of everything that seems to contain any potential clue, along with my guesses. Anyone able to pick up on anything additional?

?

Africa route?

?

?

SA route?

long haul route?

EWR origin

Tulip!

?

International routes

?

?

ORD routes

?

?

?

EWR-HI some island

ORD route

?

ORD 763?

EWR route

?

?

Polaris route

Arctic route

IAD route

?

?

?

?

International

IAH route?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:29 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
To me, this long diagonal line looks an awful lot like a line from the aerial picture of EWR in the lower-left (associated in the up-close with the paper where the pin actually is), to ANC on the map. If you follow that string onward directly right off my clipping, it connects to the IAH clip that Steven John Sladic posted. So maybe either/both of those hubs to Alaska?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by zeus2120
Upon further examination of the clues, I'm thinking EWR-OGG on a 789 is coming. There are some additional hints in the Instagram stories following the string. As someone who flies from the east coast to OGG 2-3x per year, this would be awesome. Props to United for a cool marketing idea.
Image 18 shows both a Hawaiian lei and the number 4903. Great circle route mapper distance from EWR-OGG is 4903 (I saw that mentioned in the comments on a blog). I think EWR-OGG is a given.

I'd also put money on IAD-VIE, given the map shot (Image 27) of Dulles airport with Vienna, VA in focus. Image 1 also looks like it could be an aerial shot of Vienna, AT.

Clearly something in Africa: Image 16 makes that obvious.
wrp96 and riphamilton like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Does definitely seem like EWR-OGG is on the table...would love that...
That would be too good to be true. I want the high J 763, though. There would be a lot of monied-flyers on that route. Not having to go through HNL would be huge to a lot of them.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That would be too good to be true. I want the high J 763, though. There would be a lot of monied-flyers on that route.
With quarantine or without quarantine?

David
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion

?

Africa route?

?

?

SA route?

long haul route?

EWR origin

Tulip!

?

International routes

?

?

ORD routes

?

?

?

EWR-HI some island

ORD route

?

ORD 763?

EWR route

?

?

Polaris route

Arctic route

IAD route

?

?

?

?

International
28 is ORD north side
2 is jet stream analysis (vector winds) since it's for the southern jet it is farther south than itcz so presume a deep southern Africa or American route.
17 is dispatch weights. There was a key somewhere in one of the other photos. If someone knows the sfc then you could figure out some routes.

Last edited by prestonh; Sep 8, 2020 at 7:53 pm
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
That would be too good to be true. I want the high J 763, though. There would be a lot of monied-flyers on that route. Not having to go through HNL would be huge to a lot of them.
Given the 789 seat specs that are underneath it, I am thinking they are going to fly a Polarised 789 on it.

And I would be one of those flyers - would love not having to go through HNL or connecting further west to fly into OGG. I suppose with so much international flying suspended, they have to figure out where to deploy all these widebodies now...
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:52 pm

The black passport stamp on image 28 (bottom left) says 'South Africa'.

Image 22 shows EWR with a 234. 234 is the country code for Nigeria: Abuja or Lagos? (Delta already flies to the latter from both JFK and ATL).
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP

EWR-HI some island
The Island is going to be Maui. EWR-OGG is 4903 miles. Great Circle Mapper

Edit: Looks like makin'miles beat me to it!

Last edited by CalanMan; Sep 8, 2020 at 7:00 pm Reason: Looks like makin-miles beat me to it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.