Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New UA Routes SEP 2020 • EWR ↔ OGG/JNB • ORD ↔ KOA/DEL/TLV • IAD ↔ LOS/ACC • SFO↔BLR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United Airlines Strengthens Global Network, Adding New Nonstops to Africa, India and Hawaii
United to operate first-ever nonstop service between the United States and Bangalore, India and new service between Chicago and New Delhi, India
Announces new nonstop service between U.S. East Coast and Accra, Ghana; Lagos, Nigeria; and Johannesburg, South Africa
First-ever nonstop service between Chicago and Kona and between Newark/New York and Maui
CHICAGO, Sept. 9, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today announced plans to expand its global route network with new nonstop service to Africa, India and Hawaii. With these new routes, United will offer more nonstop service to India and South Africa than any other U.S. carrier and remains the largest carrier between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii.

Starting this December, United will fly daily between Chicago and New Delhi and, starting in spring 2021, United will become the only airline to operate between San Francisco and Bangalore, India and between Newark/New York and Johannesburg. United will also introduce new service between Washington, D.C., and Accra, Ghana and Lagos, Nigeria in late spring of 2021. In the summer of 2021, United will fly nonstops four times weekly between Chicago and Kona and between Newark/New York and Maui. And starting this week, United, the airline offering more nonstop service to Israel than any other U.S. carrier, begins new nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv, the only carrier to offer this service.

United's newly announced international routes are subject to government approval and tickets will be available for purchase on united.com and the United app in the coming weeks.

"Now is the right time to take a bold step in evolving our global network to help our customers reconnect with friends, family and colleagues around the world," said Patrick Quayle, United's vice president of International Network and Alliances. "These new nonstop routes provide shorter travel times and convenient one-stop connections from across the United States, demonstrating United's continued innovative and forward-looking approach to rebuilding our network to meet the travel needs of our customers."

Offering nonstop service to three new destinations in Africa

United will become the only U.S. carrier serving Accra nonstop from Washington, D.C. and the only airline to serve Lagos nonstop from Washington, D.C., with three weekly flights to each destination beginning in late spring 2021. The Washington metropolitan area has the second-largest population of Ghanaians in the United States, and Lagos is the largest Western African destination from the United States. Now, with 65 different U.S. cities connecting through Washington Dulles, United will offer convenient one-stop connections to Western Africa.

United already provides seasonal, three-times-weekly service between Newark/New York and Cape Town. By adding new daily nonstop flights between Newark/New York and Johannesburg in spring 2021, the airline will operate more flights to South Africa than any other U.S. carrier, and will offer the only roundtrip, nonstop service from the United States to Johannesburg by a U.S carrier. These routes also offer easy connections for customers traveling to South Africa from more than 50 U.S. cities.

New nonstops to India from two U.S. cities

United has served India with nonstop service for 15 years and now builds on its existing service to New Delhi and Mumbai with two new routes. Beginning December 2020, United will introduce new nonstop service between Chicago and New Delhi and, for the first time ever, United customers will be able to travel nonstop between San Francisco and Bangalore starting spring 2021. Chicago has the second highest population of Indian-Americans in the United States, and customers from more than 130 U.S. cities can connect on United through O'Hare International Airport. Service from San Francisco to Bangalore connects two international technology hubs, broadening United's west coast service to India, which also includes San Francisco to New Delhi.

New nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv

Beginning, Thursday, Sept. 10, United will start brand-new three-times-weekly nonstop service between Chicago and Tel Aviv. In addition to Chicago, United currently operates nonstop service between Tel Aviv and its hubs in Newark/New York and San Francisco and will resume service between Washington and Tel Aviv in October. The airline operates more nonstop service between the United States and Israel than any U.S. airline.

United expanding Hawaii service to the Midwest and East Coast
As customers look to resume leisure travel options, United will make it easier than ever to travel nonstop to Maui and Kona for the 2021 summer season. With the addition of new flights between both Newark/New York and Maui and Chicago and Kona, United will provide customers in the Midwest and U.S. East Coast with even faster and more convenient service to the Hawaiian Islands than any other airline.
Print Wikipost

New UA Routes SEP 2020 • EWR ↔ OGG/JNB • ORD ↔ KOA/DEL/TLV • IAD ↔ LOS/ACC • SFO↔BLR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I doubt they are doing pajamas in this reduced service environment but let us know - happy travells.
”Due to COVID safety precautions, packaged PJ’s are not currently available on pre-COVID PJ routes.”
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
...I doubt they are doing pajamas in this reduced service environment but let us know - happy travells.
This poster got UA pjs in April 2021 returning from Australia, SYD-SFO
aCavalierInCoach likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by SS255
”Due to COVID safety precautions, packaged PJ’s are not currently available on pre-COVID PJ routes.”
I got PJs flying long haul both in March and May. May was the Olympics version.
SS255 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by uanj
I got PJs flying long haul both in March and May. May was the Olympics version.
so do you just ask upon entering the plane?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by encierro98
Believe it or not, there is a thread for that Polaris Pajamas -- Experiences, How to Request, Changing Logistics, ....
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:59 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I'll answer here because I did handle it differently than before. Since I was heading into quarantine after two of these flights and not sure of laundry arrangements I really preferred having the extra pair of something casual. So both times I asked the first FA who said welcome aboard and did not look busy with something else and got them immediately.

In fact, on one flight, I mentioned how handy they would be for quarantine. While I was sleeping a second pair was left with a note from the crew wishing me the best during quarantine and thanking me for flying UA.

So, yes, in my experience still getting pjs on long haul.

Last edited by uanj; Jun 16, 2021 at 12:06 am
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Anyone know what lounge United is using at JNB?
Can confirm UA are using the Slow Lounge at JNB. 2 Premier counters operating now so might want to leave extra time. Took me an hour and 10 minutes to get through today. The contractors United is using also haven't yet familiarized themselves with MP. 3 separate reps had no idea what GS was, and 1 actually directed me to the coach line.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
separate reps had no idea what GS was, and 1 actually directed me to the coach line.
please write in on this… always trickier and less reliable with contractors, but United thinking it is okay is the best recipe for the problem to be persistent.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:51 am

Programs: None - previously UA
SA Is going into new lockdown, seems they should surely be suspending JNB flight?
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:17 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
SA Is going into new lockdown, seems they should surely be suspending JNB flight?
Several airlines continued serving jnb throughout their prior lockdowns - Swiss, Lufthansa, Emirates, Air France, Qatar. So loads will play in and it wouldn't be crazy to think they are getting good rates on cargo with vaccine transport... maybe being a bit glass half full as I'm booked for August though!
Old Jun 27, 2021, 8:23 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
In spite of a third wave in South Africa some of us are continuing to plan travel there, aiming to get away from the high population density areas. The difference now is that many of us travelling are fully vaccinated which wasn't the case during the earlier lockdowns. So, other than tweaking the dates slightly and the itinerary of my planned trip have every intention of travelling on the JNB flight in August.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by dwugson
So, other than tweaking the dates slightly and the itinerary of my planned trip have every intention of travelling on the JNB flight in August.
The main concern for me would be lack of medical facilities with hospitals completely overwhelmed. I guess its possible the spike may have subsided by August but it's clearly on the upslope still with the situation looking pretty dire at the moment. The current vaccines provide only partial protection against the dominant variant in South Africa.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:07 am

As this is the UA forum, the best place for discussion of situation in South Africa is in the Africa Forum, such as South Africa - entry restrictions and rules [merged thread]

This is thread / forum is for UA's specific operations. Incidental discussion of destinations is fine but detailed discussion is best in their forums.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:53 pm

Also, I think you will be fine re travel to SA, as they are not shutting down travel. Now if the Slow Lounge is still open is the question. My report on the flight is the flight was nice but the food offerings were poor for business especially compared to Swiss the month before. Staff and seats were great though. But lets get rid of the economy food in biz and plastic cups for wine and bringing out ice cream with your whole meal, I mean everybody on the plane has taken a covid test and I would say majority were vaccinated. Plus it is a 15 plus hour flight, the one time I want the meal to be dragged out . Just didn't feel that luxurious.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Also, I think you will be fine re travel to SA, as they are not shutting down travel. Now if the Slow Lounge is still open is the question. My report on the flight is the flight was nice but the food offerings were poor for business especially compared to Swiss the month before. Staff and seats were great though. But lets get rid of the economy food in biz and plastic cups for wine and bringing out ice cream with your whole meal, I mean everybody on the plane has taken a covid test and I would say majority were vaccinated. Plus it is a 15 plus hour flight, the one time I want the meal to be dragged out . Just didn't feel that luxurious.
I have no expectations of anything resembling business class for this trip in spite of the long duration. The most important is to be able to have a non stop flight and room to lie flat - being able to travel after all this time is the only luxury I can look forward to!!
encierro98 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.