Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is United now actively trying to block party of two, window+aisle bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Are they trying to stop the practice? Or is this merely a consequence of frequent equipment changes, and computer seating algorithms?
Boraxo and txaggiemiles like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Are they trying to stop the practice? Or is this merely a consequence of frequent equipment changes, and computer seating algorithms?
No, they are not trying to stop the practice - it's the same silliness that was going on at Alaska when they were <cough> trying to "socially distance" customers and wanted all parties traveling together to be seated together, enabling the airline to spread around solo travelers. It was deliberate at Alaska, but with United no longer blocking middle seats or doing anything remotely useful to reduce contagion risk (other than cost cutting), the current seating changes are more likely the byproduct of the usual IT incompetence around aircraft or schedule changes.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and higher_flyer like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Lefleur

There is no difference in these scenarios:

1. Person A and Person B are traveling together and buy tickets together on one PNR, book Window/Aisle Seats
2. Person A and Person B are traveling together and buy separate tickets, one books Window, one books Aisle
3. Person A and Person B are wholly unaffiliated with one another and buy tickets on the same flight, happen to buy at a similar time on the same row - one books Window and one books Aisle

In all of the above scenarios no one wants to buy the middle seat.
In Scenario 1 (and 2), according to many reports on this thread, Person A and/or Person B will trade with Person Middle when they arrive. There is a difference relevant here to dilanesp's point.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
If the airline wants to force couples to take an aisle/middle or middle/window it can implement policies to do so.

It appears they have.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:10 pm

If anything the airline has an obligation to act in good faith when - for whatever reason - it is unable to honor the original seat selection and must assign new seats.
It would seem reassigning traveling companions to adjacent seats in the event of a seat mixup (which occurs all the time for untold number of reasons dating back to pre-pandemic) is the literal definition of "good faith". It wasn't so long ago I remember the "I was traveling with my wife and after the aircraft swap we are in different aisles" posts.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If no one is assigned to the middle, we win, if someone get assigned to the middle, sorry for them, neither of us are moving our seats.

This may not be analogous to the fact pattern being discussed.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 28, 2021 at 11:41 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
If the airline wants to force couples to take an aisle/middle or middle/window it can implement policies to do so.
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
It appears they have.
To the contrary, obtaining data points and determining the answer to this very question is the whole point of this thread.

(Argument about the validity of such choices by travel companions is taking the thread off-topic and drowning out its intended function.)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I like the window, my other half like the aisle, we book window/aisle, that's how we roll. If no one is assigned to the middle, we win, if someone get assigned to the middle, sorry for them, neither of us are moving our seats.
Hear, hear! Having been married almost 29 years, we can put up with being a few feet apart, separated by someone else, for a few hours. Each of us enjoys the preferred seat type that we are permitted to use under the contract of carriage and the MileagePlus terms and conditions.

Sorry for this "off-topic" digression.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Not sure if this has been reported before, but I have a trip in about 3 months. My flight number was changed last night (not aircraft type or times) and on the “new” flight they moved my companion and me from aisle and window to aisle and middle in the same row. The window seat wasn’t taken so I moved us back to our original seats.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 3:53 am

Does UA not want me to leave middle seat open?

Flying with my 17 year old son in 7A/7C - booked trip a few months ago. Today I notice they moved him to 7B. 7C is now open. Switched it back but curious if UA has started doing this now? Flight is in 2 days.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 2021 at 7:56 am Reason: merged with exisiting thread
Old Feb 12, 2021, 4:02 am
Suspended

Yes, I believe they have cracked down on this practice. It has been reported elsewhere that seats on the same booking get placed together.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 5:45 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Interesting! I have never heard this before.
Normally, I choose two aisle seats (C and D on B737). Therefore, UA algorithm won’t bother me.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:12 am
Suspended

I wish I could find the thread but it has come up here a few times.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To my understanding, it is still unknown whether they are actually 'cracking down' on aisle/window bookings, or if they have simply not accounted for it when aircraft configurations get shuffled.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 12, 2021 at 7:57 am Reason: cleanup after merge;,thanks for the link
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do opposing aisle seats on a single Passenger Name Record (PNR) seem safe these days in coach?
Originally Posted by raehl311
No one has reported having aisle-aisle seat assignments changed.
Is the aisle-aisle combination safer, in recent experience?
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Interesting! I have never heard this before.
Normally, I choose two aisle seats (C and D on B737). Therefore, UA algorithm won’t bother me.
Thank you for the data points.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 10:54 am

Moderators - thanks for finding this thread and merging mine into it.

I suspect that UA sells that EC+ seat a lot easier if it is an Aisle or Window.
and... we have always moved next to each other if someone is in the middle.
But.. Delta blocks the middle seat and personally, since my Plus Points probably won't clear on this flight, I would MUCH rather have the row to myself with my son and NOT have someone else in here.
So... have this minor challenge with UA wanting to maximize revenue (and I get it, times are tough) and my safety - especially when the airline they want to be someday doesn't even book someone in that middle seat!
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:07 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
It is to increase social distancing

I say this is done in an effort to infection risk, when people in same household are seated together.

If same household member on seat a and c are both infected, the passenger D across the isle may get infected being close to C, therefore seating people together as much as possible benefits social distancing.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.