Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Did award costs just double on me in 10 seconds, or...???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:43 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select

Just looked up a one way award ticket for early October SMF-ORD, and prices across the board were starting at 7.5K Miles. Chose my nonstop flight and total showed 30K Miles. Hit the back button and everything now shows as 12.5K-15K Miles.

Is this just a typical error (they were never 7.5K?) or did prices really just double like that.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 4:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I see 7.5K numerous days and 8.5K most other days. Double-check if you are logged in to get XN

Old Sep 7, 2020, 5:14 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I see 7.5K numerous days and 8.5K most other days. Double-check if you are logged in to get XN

Actually it just occurs to me as we go to book that several months ago we had our UA card cancelled. I'm guessing that's what happened. Loaded the fares based on having the card, but when I went to book must have corrected itself.
SPN Lifer, jsloan and narvik like this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
there are actually some insanely cheap awards out there right now. BOS-SFO non-stop is routinely pricing at 8.5k Miles. Guess the cheap paid Y prices these days is reducing award tickets as well.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
there are actually some insanely cheap awards out there right now. BOS-SFO non-stop is routinely pricing at 8.5k Miles. Guess the cheap paid Y prices these days is reducing award tickets as well.
I guess "dynamic pricing" actually does happen on the low end too. All it took was a pandemic and empty planes to see it
SPN Lifer, Kmxu and narvik like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Are you sure that when you hit the back button and then proceeded again, it didn't assume you were buying a second ticket (so, two tickets total thereby doubling the miles)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.