Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

$80 to upgrade (ORD-CUN, CUN-IAH) each way: worth it?

Old Sep 5, 20, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta, Alaska, American

United just changed my flights to less desirable times. Bummer. However, I am getting an offer to upgrade (3+ hour flights) for just $80 each direction (ORD-CUN, CUN-IAH). In these times of Covid, is this worth it? I'm not sure how much service is left up front these days. But being in first does usually get me to and through immigration a little faster.

Since it looks like they have consolidated flights, the back is looking fairly packed...

What do you experts think? Worth it in today's world?

Thanks!! :-)
Old Sep 5, 20, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
$25 / hour for a wider, more comfortable seats with drinks, earlier boarding (if not UA Gold or higher, better luggage allow (again if not UA God or higher), ...... The food will just be a snack box. Assuming we are talking 73x aircraft and poor option for an empty middle in E+

Your call
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 5, 20, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I always upgrade for the seat and drinks. I've never had service be a part of the thought process and even in pre-covid times I bring my own food 90% of the time.
Old Sep 5, 20, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
For sure the first leg is worth it given the length, and on the way back having a bit more room and a lot less exposure makes sense.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 5, 20, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Worth it" is always subjective. If the $80 means missing a mortgage payment, it's not worth it. If it's what you spend on lunch, then it's worth it.

Bottom line is that I would do this simply for the seat and pitch. Don't really care about the food. Only you can evaluate the value proposition.

Last edited by Often1; Sep 5, 20 at 4:25 pm
Old Sep 5, 20, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Even with limited service, I'd take it for the seat and social distancing.
seanp7 and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 5, 20, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My data point: If I can get E+ with an open middle seat, I'll stay in economy. If not, then yes $80 seems worth it.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 20, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Are you checking bags? If you are, the bags fee savings will cover half the cost of the upgrade (or more than all of it for 2 bags), which makes it a much easier decision! (Presuming you don't have some other way to avoid the fees such as a credit card/status)
Old Sep 5, 20, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
As others have noted, it is a personal decision based on values and finances. For me, $80 on a 3+ hour flight is well worth it for the space alone. My shoulders barely fit in Y, and I'd rather not have somebody else's knees occasionally entering my space.
Old Sep 5, 20, 7:29 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Considering bar prices for Buffalo Trace, I'd pay $80
seanp7, narvik and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Sep 5, 20, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by EWRSNA View Post
Even with limited service, I'd take it for the seat and social distancing.
+1
Old Sep 5, 20, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWRSNA View Post
Even with limited service, I'd take it for the...social distancing.
This is certainly not guaranteed. Iíve been on UA planes last couple of months when F is full and thereís far more space between traveling parties in coach.
Old Sep 5, 20, 8:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
This is certainly not guaranteed. I’ve been on UA planes last couple of months when F is full and there’s far more space between traveling parties in coach.
OP specially mentioned "the back is looking fairly packed", so in that context for the OP's query, F might be a bit better even if full.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 20, 2:11 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
I'd pay the $80, just for the extra legroom and width by themselves. For another perspective, I have seen E+ prices at $80 or more on 3 hour flights.
Old Sep 6, 20, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'm a bit perplexed with the several responses that include 'empty middle seat '? This is the UA Forum, isn't it? United does NOT currently block middle seats. If the flight is fully booked in coach (which in my personal experiences on flights to CUN, they have been) those middle seats will definitely have people in them. Now, back to the original post, is it worth $80 for a Classic or Tapas Snack box, larger seat and more beverage choices??? If you're seated waaay in the back and want to upgrade to E+ once you have boarded, that will cost you $90 -- just for a bit more room in Coach! ( Yes, the FA's have announced this option when people complain about the crowded seating in back, and the relatively empty E+ section).. I fly fairly regularly EWR-CUN and just this past week noticed that UA has addeded an additional flight due to the packed conditions on those flights. PS- yes, luckily I've been upgraded to F on just about all my flights!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: