Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

$80 to upgrade (ORD-CUN, CUN-IAH) each way: worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$80 to upgrade (ORD-CUN, CUN-IAH) each way: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Yes, it's worth it.
Kmxu and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
It's all relative. When there are $38 RT fares to Florida it's hard to say 80 each way buy up to fc is worth it. Ymmv
Old Sep 7, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by prestonh
It's all relative. When there are $38 RT fares to Florida it's hard to say 80 each way buy up to fc is worth it. Ymmv
YMMV indeed; a return fare to Florida (from where???) in First for $38 + $80 + $80 = $198 seems like a bargain!
(besides, OP was specifically mentioning ORD-CUN, CUN-IAH)
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by narvik
YMMV indeed; a return fare to Florida (from where???) in First for $38 + $80 + $80 = $198 seems like a bargain!
(besides, OP was specifically mentioning ORD-CUN, CUN-IAH)
OP had open ended question on 'worth' without any contraints on time, cities etc. so if flying from ord or IAH that is what the opportunity cost of saving the upgrade $ and getting to an alternate beach city. the airfare could do over 4 beach runs to Florida vs. the upgrade. that is how 'worth' is usually defined.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Delta, Alaska, American
HI everybody! OP here! Sorry that I wasn't detailed enough! I decided to go ahead and do it. Thanks for the opinions! :-) ...

In my case, the flights I originally booked, which were extremely empty, were cancelled and appear to have been consolidated with other flights in the schedule change they did the other day (early October flights). Some of the E+ seats were actually going for MORE than the first/business seats were! I do have the United card, so one bag was already covered, but I am a terrible packer, so not having to stress about a second bag, especially if I over buy while there is a good thing for me! Add in a couple of included drinks, and a slightly smaller line in immigration, and I'm happy with my decision!

Thanks again!
narvik and EWRSNA like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by EWRSNA
Even with limited service, I'd take it for the seat and social distancing.
What social distancing? On some UA flights, both F and Y have been 100% full and UA isn't blocking any middle seats or capping F like DL is
Old Sep 9, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by fly747first
What social distancing? On some UA flights, both F and Y have been 100% full and UA isn't blocking any middle seats or capping F like DL is
less ppl in F by density (4 ppl per row, more pitch) = more social distancing than in Y. Still nowhere near 6’, but more preferable.
bluedemon211 and EWRSNA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.