Great airfares on United

Old Sep 1, 20, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Great airfares on United

Wow. I had been seeing some really expensive airfares so had delayed purchasing or switched to WN or driving. Today I was looking at some WN flights as I had some canx reservations to spend but the credit was not sufficient for the flights so would need to pay for the difference. Decided to take a quick look at United (not feeling hopeful after the last few attempts to purchase tickets) and wow. Ticket for my friend and me less than the additional price for one of us on WN. Immediately booked UA and applied points for the upgrade and those came through. Using points for only one of us was significantly greater than cash plus points for both of us. Did not use PlusPoints as may need to change the dates and do not want to lose them.

Got a great international W fare and use of PlusPoints last week.

This is a change I like. United wants my business (for what seems like this first time in quite a while!)
Old Sep 1, 20, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Yes, the fares have overall been so attractive that I've booked numerous trips. I know that this won't last forever but I'm enjoying it for as long as it does.
Old Sep 1, 20, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Did not use PlusPoints as may need to change the dates and do not want to lose them.
You would not have lost them. That forfeiture rule only applies to Skip the Waitlist awards, which, AFAIK, never got rolled out any further than South America, and which I don't really expect are very popular right now, demand being as low as it is. (Why pay so much extra to skip a non-existent waitlist?)
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2.8MM, AAdvantage, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Would you guys care to offer specifics on routes, dates and fares? I haven't been seeing theses deals so much (although a friend booked IAH-SEA for $94 one-way on Oct. 1 -- morning flight).
Old Sep 1, 20, 4:48 pm

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...;sp:2.USD.9410

one way NYC-LAX is $95, that's cheap? (even google flights says its cheap, scroll down to see their bar chart)
(this is regular economy, not basic)

basic is $83 with one stop at las. kinda weird that they're not offering basic nonstop

$95 for next week, weekdays (1 week advanced purchase?)
Old Sep 1, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...;sp:2.USD.9410

one way NYC-LAX is $95, that's cheap? (even google flights says its cheap, scroll down to see their bar chart)
(this is regular economy, not basic)

basic is $83 with one stop at las. kinda weird that they're not offering basic nonstop

$95 for next week, weekdays (1 week advanced purchase?)
For Labor Day weekend, Friday-Monday, BOS-SFO $199 R/T, BOS-ORD $51 R/T, both normal not basic economy
Old Sep 1, 20, 6:49 pm

I booked CHS-IAD-PHL-IAD-CHS for less than what I would normally pay UA 1-way. It was also about 30% of the price AA wanted for the nonstop.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by st530 View Post
Would you guys care to offer specifics on routes, dates and fares? I haven't been seeing theses deals so much (although a friend booked IAH-SEA for $94 one-way on Oct. 1 -- morning flight).
Mine was SAN-IAH-MSY for $89. Same for the return.

The other was SAN-ORD-ZRH-IAD-SAN for $1,360.

I think the point is lots of deals..

Very different to two months ago and last year.
SPN Lifer, uanj and narvik like this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 1:10 am

Looks like the "we can maintain the 2019 fare levels as people flying in this crisis are people who need to fly anyway"-philosophy led to extremely discouraging Q3 and initial Q4 sales results...
Old Sep 2, 20, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
Mine was SAN-IAH-MSY for $89. Same for the return.

The other was SAN-ORD-ZRH-IAD-SAN for $1,360.
How are you able to enter Switzerland? I thought they weren’t allowing U.S. residents in yet.
Old Sep 2, 20, 7:18 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Ord/iah $94 rt

Snagged a ORD/IAH RT for $94 — out 9/10 @ 0915 and back 9/13 @ 1420. Same trip in mid August was almost 3x (although did enjoy 772 UGs vs 739s for the upcoming trip).

Last edited by YRKInsider; Sep 2, 20 at 7:19 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 2, 20, 7:45 am

Sigh. Very reasonable prices (under $3K) to LHR in Polaris over Thanksgiving/Christmas. Now, what are the odds the UK will lift the two week quarantine by then?
Old Sep 2, 20, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
How are you able to enter Switzerland? I thought they weren’t allowing U.S. residents in yet.
Change fees remain on INTL (even domestic segments) and denied boarding based on inadmissible status does almost never qualify for a refund, so can only assume one either qualifies for at least one exception that grant entry, or one is taking a risk which may result in a hefty change fee or 0-value ticket.
Old Sep 2, 20, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by glbltvlr View Post
Sigh. Very reasonable prices (under $3K) to LHR in Polaris over Thanksgiving/Christmas. Now, what are the odds the UK will lift the two week quarantine by then?
It is such a good question. I could see more testing availability leading to a shorter quarantine period, hopefully by Christmas.
Old Sep 2, 20, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYMSY View Post
Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
Change fees remain on INTL (even domestic segments) and denied boarding based on inadmissible status does almost never qualify for a refund, so can only assume one either qualifies for at least one exception that grant entry, or one is taking a risk which may result in a hefty change fee or 0-value ticket.
ZRH booking made last week so before August 31 deadline on flexibility for change/cancellation. Was concerned United may not extend the deadline to September 30. I was right.😔 (I had the ETC for the trip I had to cancel for May and is the replacement trip for next May.)

Nonetheless still great airfares. Have more trips to book.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: