Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Great airfares on United

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
What dates is your ZRH trip? Looking for something cheap with PP redemption to visit family in Germany.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by whipwhitaker
What dates is your ZRH trip? Looking for something cheap with PP redemption to visit family in Germany.
May 2021 and there was PZ availability. As it was a W fare it only took 40 Plus points each way. I was expecting to need to use 80 points each way so great value. As I mentioned it booked before the August 31 deadline with an ETC I had for the trip I was unable to take in May 2020. YMMV

I normally find good fares to FRA and MUC midweek but the ZRH destination was a tip from a FA on a recent trip.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Sep 2, 2020 at 12:59 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
For Labor Day weekend, Friday-Monday, BOS-SFO $199 R/T, BOS-ORD $51 R/T, both normal not basic economy
Good fares but UA economy is pretty bad right now; they aren't even selling meals on domestic flights exceeding 6 hrs
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
LAX-MCO RT For about $100 you can route through Houston or EWR or several other airports
Kmxu likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
ZRH booking made last week so before August 31 deadline on flexibility for change/cancellation. Was concerned United may not extend the deadline to September 30. I was right.😔
what didn't get extended? im sure i missed something.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by elbejt2
what didn't get extended? im sure i missed something.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
ZRH booking made last week so before August 31 deadline on flexibility for change/cancellation. Was concerned United may not extend the deadline to September 30. I was right.😔 (I had the ETC for the trip I had to cancel for May and is the replacement trip for next May.)

Nonetheless still great airfares. Have more trips to book.
I believe they did extend the deadline to December 31, even for INTL flights.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by econ
I believe they did extend the deadline to December 31, even for INTL flights.
Here are the two waivers posted via jetstream on 30 August 2020 as reference for travel agents:

Change Fee Waiver for tickets purchased before March 2, 2020 (Waiver - tickets purchased on/before March 2, 2020 | Travel Jun 1 - Dec 31 or https://united.canto.com/b/RKGSK) :

Change Fee Waiver for new tickets purchased between March 3, 2020 and December 31, 2020 (Travel waiver - tickets purchased Mar 3 - Dec 31, 2020 or https://united.canto.com/b/JAMHP):

​​​​​​​David
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:11 am
Original Poster

So I see a difference between change and cancellation. Change fees waived on international flights booked through 12/31. No fees on cancellations for flights booked through 8/31. I think that is the distinction - correct?

May not matter to most folks but the ability to cancel and get an ETC is huge for me at the moment for a flight next May.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
I found ORD-MIA round trip for $97 sometime in mid October. Friday-Sunday.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
I’ve found some great flights. Transcon for a little over $200 round trip with high chance of upgrade is a great deal. I’ve started traveling a bit to see friends and family while the weather is good to remain outside.

I also noticed the upgrade offers seemed to have dropped. I’m now seeing IAD-SFO down to $287 from $3xx. IAD-DEN was $192 and is now $179.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
LAX-MCO RT For about $100 you can route through Houston or EWR or several other airports
For this route, the nonstop RT price drops below $70. United is competing at any cost. Lol.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I see a difference between change and cancellation.
Incorrect.

Change fees waived on international flights booked through 12/31. No fees on cancellations for flights booked through 8/31. I think that is the distinction - correct?
No.

May not matter to most folks but the ability to cancel and get an ETC is huge for me at the moment for a flight next May.
You do not (necessarily) have that ability.

United has not been waiving cancellation (refund) fees at all, except for award travel. They have been waiving change fees. They have also been allowing some people to take an ETC in lieu of Future Flight Credit, although that is not technically required and seems to have gotten more difficult as of August 1. There is no guarantee that you will be able to get an ETC if you have to cancel your trip; UA may decide that you have to accept Future Flight Credit instead. If you have to accept FFC, note that the fares that are currently being offered have no residual value -- if you change from SAN-ZRH to SAN-ARN, and SAN-ARN is cheaper, you will not get a refund or an ETC (barring a change of policy by UA).

There is not, and never has been, a fee to cancel a trip. The fee, if any, is to get it refunded ("cancellation fee") or reissued ("change fee"). You can now, and have always* been able to, call up and say "Please cancel my trip to Zurich, but I don't know what the new trip will be, so leave the credit on the reservation." No fee has ever been charged for that.

The fee would come up when you said "please refund my trip" (for refundable tickets with a cancellation fee) or "I've got the new trip details now -- please put me on the flight to Copenhagen instead."

There is no difference between the waivers that were in place on August 31 and those that are in place through December 31. In fact, as you can see from DELee's post, all they did was change the end date from August 31 to December 31.

* There was a brief time in 2001/2002, when zero-value-after-departure started, where the ticket had to be reissued (with new dates / destinations) prior to the original flight departure, or it was invalid. That was widely unpopular and was walked back to the current system: as long as you cancel before departure, the ticket automatically becomes FFC that you can use.
SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm glad that some people are finding great airfares on UA. I'm finding the opposite. Specifically, I was hoping that UA would match AA's refundable international flights offer (less $100), but so far, they haven't done so. Even with free changes, I'm uncomfortable booking nonrefundable travel for next summer with all the uncertainty. The free changes are nice, but my understanding is that travel would still have to begin within one year of the original ticket issue date. Although UA offers refundable international fares (less $300), they are typically around double the cost of the nonrefundable tickets.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
As Kmxu , jjmoore and BThumme have posted into a thread or three in Mileage Run Deals, UA deals are out there if desired:

UA: MCO-LAX/LAX-MCO $81

UA: LAX - MCO as low as $65 r.t. G fare 1.6cpm possible

UA: ORD-BOS $25 (regular ecxonomy, G fare) O/W

David
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.