You know you are a MP junkie when ....

Old Sep 1, 20, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
You know you are a MP junkie when ....

So, I had a dream last might that I was connecting somewhere in China on a UA MP ticket. The agent who verified my ticket said, “this was never validated,” and then took the ticket from my hand and ripped it in half. She then told me to go to the downtown ticket office and buy a new ticket.

that’s all I recall.
ual744777sta, nnn, Thysk and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 8:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
So, I had a dream last might that I was connecting somewhere in China on a UA MP ticket. The agent who verified my ticket said, “this was never validated,” and then took the ticket from my hand and ripped it in half. She then told me to go to the downtown ticket office and buy a new ticket.

that’s all I recall.
I can relate. Did you wake up in a sweat?
nnn and roberto99 like this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 10:02 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
I had a recurring dream in the early 2000s that I landed at ORD and couldn't find the United (Red Carpet) Club. I'd seemingly wander aimlessly around ORD, no flight to catch, nowhere to go...Just my inability to find the club.

...Thanks, though. Digging this up from my subconscious means I'll start having this dream again. (Wonder if I'll ever be able to get on a flight in my dreams, hopefully in Connoisseur Class somewhere, featuring CD-quality audio).
nnn, HNL1K, SPN Lifer and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
You know your a junky when you haven’t flown in months, obsess with FT, watch national news and if at all related to United tell your wife to hold on, they are talking about UA.😄
kirkwoodj, nnn, DCFlyIAD and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 1:50 pm

A few years back, when MP numbers were still entirely numeric, when checking out at the supermarket, the terminal repeatedly wouldn't accept my phone number for loyalty points. After the 4th or 5th try, I realized I was entering my MP number, thinking I was at an EZ Chicken.
ekwang, kirkwoodj, Rare and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Starman View Post
A few years back, when MP numbers were still entirely numeric, when checking out at the supermarket, the terminal repeatedly wouldn't accept my phone number for loyalty points. After the 4th or 5th try, I realized I was entering my MP number, thinking I was at an EZ Chicken.
. I had lots of zeros in mine and could rattle that number off in my sleep. When really tired I’d show up at the wrong hotel, and give that number. Front desk would roll their eyes, “that’s a UA number and your hotel is across the street. You road warriors really should get yourself some sleep once in a while”.
HNL1K, Thysk, Rare and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
I still remember my PMUA FF number. Ah memories. UA took me to so many wonderful places, in upgraded C, thanks to 1K status. Thanks, United. :-)
Old Sep 1, 20, 6:16 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
...thinking I was at an EZ Chicken.
And when, exactly, did we stop calling them the “Chicken” machines here on FT? Thanks for that further trip down memory lane, with that reference that just disappeared one day.
Starman, Kannai and Thysk like this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Realizing I had an addiction to monitorng the flight status of my frequently flown routes that no longer exist.
atword likes this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
You are not alone and to go one farther/further, both my checking account number and my PMUA MP # both started with 00 so you know how that would go...
Old Sep 1, 20, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Realizing I had an addiction to monitorng the flight status of my frequently flown routes that no longer exist.
UA895 - apparently this flight number was used for SFO-PDX and CLE-ORD in March. Sacrilege!
Old Sep 2, 20, 12:17 am

that’s all I recall.
Sounds like a French train conductor waking me up on an overnight train and saying my ticket was never validated "composté." Me being somewhere between being too sleepy to think and being really befuddled, the conductor just shook his head murmuring "tourist" and kept going. Was it a dream?

What's worse is catching a flight with the gate agent asking you what your final destination is. I've had to stop, struggle to remember, and look at my calendar...
Dublin_rfk and Thysk like this.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Sep 2, 20 at 12:27 am
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:00 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Guilty! I even check the seat map and upgrade list on "my" flights that do exist, somehow expecting to be on the list. I used to think that being #1 on the upgrade list as the flight closed was the worst thing to see on the app (other than Cancelled). Now, it's not being on the flight.

Last edited by tarheelnj; Sep 2, 20 at 5:32 pm Reason: spell check
Old Sep 2, 20, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something

that’s all I recall.
Are you sure it wasn't a repressed memory rather than a dream?
atword and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 8:41 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
And when, exactly, did we stop calling them the “Chicken” machines here on FT? Thanks for that further trip down memory lane, with that reference that just disappeared one day.
Probably because the name went away after the merger, and the new management replaced the shiny metallic kiosks with the compact white ones that spit out thermal paper BP. Granted, the new ones have LED lights on the top of the machine that would alert agents of any issues that required intervention, assuming they were paying attention.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: