Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

View Poll Results: What do you think of the recent UA changes in Changes fees?
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual AND No Standby fee/Free SDC all elites
64.35%
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual but NOT No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite
10.87%
Good idea: No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite but NOT No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual
7.83%
Neutral /don’t care about either
13.04%
Don’t like / think either is a good idea
3.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 25, 22, 5:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DELee
Wiki Link
Latest Update: 23 December 2021:

"Change fees are gone" (change fee waiver): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ngefeesaregone
We've permanently gotten rid of change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. There also won't be change fees for other international travel originating in the U.S. Learn more

For all other standard Economy and premium cabin tickets, change fees are waived through January 31, 2022. Basic Economy tickets can only be changed if they’re issued by December 31, 2021, for travel commencing by December 31, 2021. See terms and conditions
(change fee waiver) Terms and Conditions: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ChangeFeeTerms

Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through January 31, 2022, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

New fine print (1 April 2021)
  • You can change Basic Economy tickets without change fees if the ticket is issued by April 30, 2021,
  • and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by May 31, 2021.
  • If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit.
Updated 30 Sept 2021
Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly View Post
I just went through the process on a post-April 1st itinerary and was issued the new FFC vs ETCs. The agent tried to explain the new FFCs in detail:

The Bad:
1. No more ETC
2. No transferability
3. No combinability
4. Given there is no combinability, there is no more date-pushing (meaning new expiration date is most favorable of combined cert dates)

The Good:
5. Can use multiple towards a single itinerary (up to 10 she said)
6. Can pull from multiple accounts (3 from yours, 3 from spouse), so you don't have to split the locator to use from multiple accounts
7. Can be used on partner itineraries as long as one segment is UA
8. The FFCs show up in the account of the recipient and the booker. So I can see my spouse's FFCs if I booked the itenerary
9. FFCs now show up as a payment method in the app booking flow. For multi-passenger FFCs, both passengers show up!

I can live with all this, in exchange for no change fees, and reclaiming residual!
The fine-print on the change rules:
  1. If the new ticket costs less, the residual value from the old ticket is lost
  2. Multiple cancelled reservations cannot be combined to pay for a more expensive ticket
  3. Strictly U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean only (excludes Canada) and excludes Basic Economy and International flights
    1. Worldwide until Dec 31, 2020
United Airlines Permanently Eliminates Change Fees
Applies to all Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S.;
Airline also announces complimentary standby travel, becomes only U.S. airline that will let all customers in all classes of service fly same-day standby for free
With these new options, United gives more flexibility than any other U.S. carrier when customers' travel plans change
Video(1) Photos(1)

CHICAGO, Aug. 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The only thing constant is change and at United Airlines, some of the fees associated with changes related to flying are gone for good. The carrier announced today that it is permanently getting rid of change fees on all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., effective immediately. And starting on January 1, 2021, any United customer can fly standby for free on a flight departing the day of their travel regardless of the type of ticket or class of service, a first among U.S. carriers, while MileagePlus Premier members can confirm a seat on a different flight on the same day with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket if a seat in the same ticket fare class is available.

United is also extending its waiver for new tickets issued through December 31, 2020, to permit unlimited changes with no fee. This policy applies to all ticket types issued after March 3, 2020 and is valid for domestic and international travel. With these improvements, no U.S. airline gives their customers more flexibility when booking – and changing – their travel plans than United Airlines.

"Change is inevitable these days – but it's how we respond to it that matters most. When we hear from customers about where we can improve, getting rid of this fee is often the top request," said Scott Kirby, CEO of United Airlines, in a video message to customers. "Following previous tough times, airlines made difficult decisions to survive, sometimes at the expense of customer service. United Airlines won't be following that same playbook as we come out of this crisis. Instead, we're taking a completely different approach – and looking at new ways to serve our customers better."

The new change fee policy applies to all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S. 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and customers will not be limited in the number of times they adjust their flights.

Additionally, United is giving customers more flexibility to change their flights on the day of their travel so they can head home if a meeting ends earlier or enjoy a few more hours on vacation. With the ability to list for same-day standby for free, customers will now have an option to take a different flight with the same origin and destination airports as their original itinerary if space is available at departure. This enhanced option will be available to all customers for travel within the U.S. and to and from international destinations beginning on January 1, 2021. Customers who want to switch flights will be able to add themselves to the standby list through United's award-winning mobile app, on united.com or at the airport no later than 30 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights and one hour before departure on international flights.

The carrier is also improving the travel experience for its MileagePlus members including waiving all redeposit fees on award travel for flights changed or cancelled more than 30 days before departure and allowing all MileagePlus Premier members to confirm a different flight on the day of their travel. As a way to thank MileagePlus Premier members for their loyalty, beginning January 1, 2021, all Premier members will be able to confirm a seat for free on a different flight with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket. This expanded option will allow MileagePlus Silver members and above to confirm a new seat in the same ticket fare class if space is available. Earlier this year, United announced that it will extend status for MileagePlus Premier and Global Services members through January 2022. United also reduced thresholds for Premier qualification by 50 percent for each status level, to make reaching an even higher status tier easier.

For more information on United's new flexible travel policies, visit https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html.

Related Threads
AA Eliminates Many Change Fees, Other Benefits 31 Aug 2020
Delta to Eliminate Change Fees on Domestic Tickets [Consolidated Thread]
Alaska Eliminates Change Fees (9/1/2020)

UA will extend BE/International change fee waiver (In response to AA?)
Print Wikipost

Old May 8, 22, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
International change fee - new ticket

I'm looking at purchasing a one-way economy ticket SCL-SFO. Are these subject to the old change/cancellation fee schedule - iirc $300 (+fare difference)? Apologies if this is on the UA website -- I'm not seeing it. Thanks.
Old May 8, 22, 3:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mehitabel View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a one-way economy ticket SCL-SFO. Are these subject to the old change/cancellation fee schedule - iirc $300 (+fare difference)? .
Potential yes because UA states
You also won’t pay change fees for international travel originating in the U.S.
Actually also Caribbean & Mexico

Some reports of non-qualifying tickets also not having changes, such as some from Canada
You will need to read the fare rules or ask an agent.

Note non-BE tickets issued for all regions before 1 Feb 2022 have no change fees.
Old May 8, 22, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Potential yes because UA states
Actually also Caribbean & Mexico

Some reports of non-qualifying tickets also not having changes, such as some from Canada
You will need to read the fare rules or ask an agent.
Thanks - that's about what I figured. I saw that some CA flights seem to be getting waivers, but South America seems unlikely. Just wasn't sure if I was remembering the $300 fee correctly.
Old May 8, 22, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mehitabel View Post
Thanks - that's about what I figured. I saw that some CA flights seem to be getting waivers, but South America seems unlikely. Just wasn't sure if I was remembering the $300 fee correctly.
Canada is not a ‘waiver’ per say, it’s in the fare rules though, at least in what I’ve looked at. I’ve seen No charge for changes (or some similar language) in every fare I’ve looked up since the international waiver expired earlier this year.
Old May 15, 22, 12:16 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Hoping someone has some insight on this. I'm looking at round trip tickets ex-USA to Japan. I have 'basic' economy unchecked in my search. However, the lowest fare that the United website returns shows the following in the fare rules -- Not many people look in the rules. Is this just to be ignored and tickets can be cancelled for a full future flight credit?

LAX - TYO K KFI00UXK

PENALTIES
CHANGES/CANCELLATIONS TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE. CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.

There is another fare about $80 more that has the following included in the penalties section: NOTE - -- -- //// CHANGE FREE OF CHARGE ////

I'm booking for 3 passengers, and would prefer to save $240 if I don't need to spend it. Just not sure why this is showing up with no flags. FYI dates are Oct 7 - Oct 21. Link in google flights: https://www.google.com/travel/flight...mA6YpDmV6wfEJ6
Old May 15, 22, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sammybk View Post
Hoping someone has some insight on this. I'm looking at round trip tickets ex-USA to Japan. I have 'basic' economy unchecked in my search. However, the lowest fare that the United website returns shows the following in the fare rules -- Not many people look in the rules. Is this just to be ignored and tickets can be cancelled for a full future flight credit?

LAX - TYO K KFI00UXK

PENALTIES
CHANGES/CANCELLATIONS TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE. CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.

There is another fare about $80 more that has the following included in the penalties section: NOTE - -- -- //// CHANGE FREE OF CHARGE ////

I'm booking for 3 passengers, and would prefer to save $240 if I don't need to spend it. Just not sure why this is showing up with no flags. FYI dates are Oct 7 - Oct 21. Link in google flights: https://www.google.com/travel/flight...mA6YpDmV6wfEJ6
At the current time, UA does not offer a Basic Economy product in the US-Japan market. (I don’t think they have BE for Asia at all, actually). That’s why there are no labels. (And, incidentally, I’d still expect to be able to check a bag, select a seat, etc.)

No-changes tickets go much further back than the introduction of BE, though. If you buy that ticket and then change it, you are relying on UA’s marketing elsewhere, where they state that international tickets originating in the US “will not have change fees,” and they only list out BE as not being changeable.

My guess is that you’d probably be OK if you purchased those tickets and needed to change them. My advice is that if you want surety, you should pony up the extra $80 per person. :/
Old May 15, 22, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
...If you buy that ticket and then change it, you are relying on UA’s marketing elsewhere, where they state that international tickets originating in the US “will not have change fees,” and they only list out BE as not being changeable.

My guess is that you’d probably be OK if you purchased those tickets and needed to change them. My advice is that if you want surety, you should pony up the extra $80 per person. :/
While understanding the anxiety with the messaging, there is no doubt at all those tickets (assuming a publicly published fare) will have no change fees. Could UA reverse that in the future for future tickets, yes but for tickets purchased until that announcement is made, there is no uncertainty. The publicly stated policy of UA is quite clear as stated here. Is it sloppy to leave the fare rules unchanged, yes but that does not change the situation.
Old May 15, 22, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While understanding the anxiety with the messaging, there is no doubt at all those tickets (assuming a publicly published fare) will have no change fees. Could UA reverse that in the future for future tickets, yes but for tickets purchased until that announcement is made, there is no uncertainty. The publicly stated policy of UA is quite clear as stated here. Is it sloppy to leave the fare rules unchanged, yes but that does not change the situation.
Nowhere did I mention a fee. “No change fees” does not mean “this ticket can be changed.” Nothing in the policy actually addresses this situation.

FWIW, I agree with you — it’s probably safe. But I don’t want to tell somebody “yes, it’s definitely safe because of XYZ,” when I can’t prove that XYZ applies.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 22, 10:22 am

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
So if I have two itins coming up, both international, in July and late November, it sounds like there's no longer a reason to make the July a refundable fare, just the November, because the July fare, if I have to cancel that itin, can be moved to the November flight (cancel the refundable November flight and rebook). Only hitch is that the July flight is with a different second person than the November flight (son vs wife), and the only part of the July fare that I can re-use would be my own.

Second question, is there an issue with severability? Meaning, my son would still get to use his part of the July fare for a separate trip of his own?

Third question, what is the time limit for use of the original (July) cancelled trip amount? Is there a 12 month clock running? If so, does it run from the date of issuance, the date of cancellation, or the date of the original trip?

Added later- Some of my questions appear to be answered here; it appears that I have until Dec 31 2023 to use the funds (from Refund Form & Policies - United Airlines )
  • A refund may be requested for any fare that allows refunds. Depending on the rules of the fare purchased, a cancellation fee may apply. Most fares are nonrefundable, and are not eligible for voluntary refunds. However, the value of your ticket may be eligible to be applied toward the price of a new ticket for a fee. Tickets are valid 12 months from the day of ticket issuance, except for tickets purchased on or before December 31, 2022, which are extended from original date of issue to December 31, 2023. Travel must begin by December 31, 2023. Once travel begins, travel must be completed within 12 months from the outbound travel date.
Also-
The "no-change fees" policy covers roundtrips and partner flights in eligible itins
So if I book an award outbound to Europe, and a paid return, the return is not covered by the new policies? It would still be subject to fees, probably $300 or so, unless I purchased a refundable fare?

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; May 22, 22 at 5:43 pm Reason: Another question
Old May 22, 22, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
So if I book an award outbound to Europe, and a paid return, the return is not covered by the new policies? It would still be subject to fees, probably $300 or so, unless I purchased a refundable fare?
Corrrect. The reverse -- Paid ex-USA outbound (if you can find one without an oneway penalty) and award return work with a change fee.
Mike Jacoubowsky likes this.
Old May 22, 22, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ll try with all these:

So if I have two itins coming up, both international, in July and late November, it sounds like there's no longer a reason to make the July a refundable fare, just the November, because the July fare, if I have to cancel that itin, can be moved to the November flight (cancel the refundable November flight and rebook). Only hitch is that the July flight is with a different second person than the November flight (son vs wife), and the only part of the July fare that I can re-use would be my own.
If I understand correctly, you are doing a trip with son in July, and another with wife in November. Your contemplating booking non-refundable ticket in July, and refundable in November. If you have to cancel the July trip, you’ll use your portion of the funds to rebook Nov, and then your son can use his on another trip later.

You may be complicating things to take a two-person PNR and use it for a new PNR with a different pax 2, but yes, can be done. When making the chnage for itin 1, you’ll be asked which pax the chnage is for, and if you just select yourself, the PNR will be split when the change is made. Sons ticket will still be active per the original booking, and then you can cancel that and they’ll get the FFC to use in the future.

note that if you cancel July and rebook the Nov. trip, the Nov. trip will be subject to whatever fare is at the time of that purchase. Which could be more than the refundable fare you have now (stranger things have happened). IME, probably better to deal with these separately, and if you need to cancel July, just use those for a future trip with your son (together, or separately). You can always rebook November at a non-refundable rate using the existing Nov. ticket.

Second question, is there an issue with severability? Meaning, my son would still get to use his part of the July fare for a separate trip of his own?
no, not a problem. Like I said, when you do a search for the change, you’ll select which pax it should apply to. It will split the record to be able to do this.

the only time ‘severability’ might be an issue is if you bought a ticket that requiredp two tickets to get some sort of deal (ie, get 50% off a second ticket, so requires two pax) - have seen this sort of thing on occasion with other carriers, but not to my knowledge on UA. So you should be fine.

Third question, what is the time limit for use of the original (July) cancelled trip amount? Is there a 12 month clock running? If so, does it run from the date of issuance, the date of cancellation, or the date of the original trip?

Added later- Some of my questions appear to be answered here; it appears that I have until Dec 31 2023 to use the funds (from Refund Form & Policies - United Airlines )
Yes and no. For FFCs, you’ll have until Dec. 31/23 to begin travel, not to use the funds. This is not a form of payment like an ETC - where you’d have to use it as payment toward a flight by the expiry date, which could be until end of schedule on date of booking. Also note this is an extension - typically the first flight would need to be within one year of date of issue of the original ticket.
Old Jun 4, 22, 11:05 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), several others
Datapoint: Airfare Decrease After Purchase

Recently bought a UA ticket online 2 weeks in advance using combination of TB (TravelBank) funds and credit card. Few days prior to departure noticed the airfare for the exact same flight had decreased significantly. Called UA to ask about changing the airfare, thinking (irrationally ) that a simple credit for the difference, as most simple, might be possible. After “heck no”, was told the only option was to cancel the ticket, would immediately receive a FFC (Future Flight Credit) for the full amount (TB + CC) paid and then rebook but the system would recognize the cancellation and not allow me to rebook the same flight at the lower fare.

Being a bit of a gambler and a skeptic of the typical representative’s accuracy, I immediately cancelled the ticket online. FFC for the full amount appeared in my account within a few minutes. I immediately rebooked the same flight (and selected the exact same seat) at the lower fare using the FFC resulting in a remaining FFC in the amount of the difference.

The difference was close to the TB balance I had initially used. The TB balance had an expiration date a month later, the FTC expiration date is in 18 months. In addition to saving a few $$, I effectively extended the amount of time to use a UA credit by almost 18 months.

This experience contrasts with 2-3 months ago cancelling within 24 hours a ticket purchased with TB + CC and having to wait 3-4 days for the TB refund to post to the TB and a week for the CC refund to post.
nsx, SPN Lifer and CREN like this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski View Post
After “heck no”, was told the only option was to cancel the ticket, would immediately receive a FFC (Future Flight Credit) for the full amount (TB + CC) paid and then rebook but the system would recognize the cancellation and not allow me to rebook the same flight at the lower fare.

Being a bit of a gambler and a skeptic of the typical representative’s accuracy, I immediately cancelled the ticket online. FFC for the full amount appeared in my account within a few minutes. I immediately rebooked the same flight (and selected the exact same seat) at the lower fare using the FFC resulting in a remaining FFC in the amount of the difference.
The representative was correct, sort of. The system will recognize the old fare and will not allow you to rebook the same flight directly. In other words, if you used the traditional "change flight" approach to try to re-use the credit, it wouldn't have worked.

Starting from scratch and adding the FFC as a payment type at the end works around these restrictions because it creates a new PNR which doesn't contain the references to the old fare. The other option would have been to change to a different flight first and then change back.
nsx and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski View Post
Datapoint: Airfare Decrease After Purchase

Recently bought a UA ticket online 2 weeks in advance using combination of TB (TravelBank) funds and credit card. Few days prior to departure noticed the airfare for the exact same flight had decreased significantly. Called UA to ask about changing the airfare, thinking (irrationally ) that a simple credit for the difference, as most simple, might be possible. After “heck no”, was told the only option was to cancel the ticket, would immediately receive a FFC (Future Flight Credit) for the full amount (TB + CC) paid and then rebook but the system would recognize the cancellation and not allow me to rebook the same flight at the lower fare.

The difference was close to the TB balance I had initially used. The TB balance had an expiration date a month later, the FTC expiration date is in 18 months. In addition to saving a few $$, I effectively extended the amount of time to use a UA credit by almost 18 months.

This experience contrasts with 2-3 months ago cancelling within 24 hours a ticket purchased with TB + CC and having to wait 3-4 days for the TB refund to post to the TB and a week for the CC refund to post.
Nothing here is inconsistent with the way the 'system' works, except for perhaps the speed of the TB refund, which some people have reported taking weeks (this is why I try not to use TB funds for anything I might possibly refund within 24 hours, because I don't want to deal with that mess).

Asking an agent to 'change' to a lower fare on the same flight within 30 days will usually result in either an outright no or an offer for a $50 fee to re-issue at the lower fare, and an ETC (I think) for the difference. The system will not let you change easily to just the lower fare on the same flight...it will say 'unavailable'. The only ways to do it are the way you have done it (cancel, get FFC, then use that to purchase the flight at the lower fare) or as just mentioned, change to a different flight, then change back.

As for the cancel within 24 hours, yes, refunding the fare within 24 hours is different than canceling a non-refundable fare after that time. Not sure how it works these days, but within 24 hours, you used to be able to choose when canceling if you wanted the refund to original form of payment or to keep as an FFC...I'm not sure if it just defaults to refund now. After 24 hour, unless IRROPS, you just get an FFC.
Old Jun 7, 22, 2:44 pm

United effectively charging for changes (SFO<->CDG) even if they say "no change fee"?

So I called United about an upcoming SFO -> CDG -> SFO trip. I asked if there were any change fees these days for changing that flight, and they said there weren't.

However, I just checked, and any change I make to the return flight, if it's any week after the week it currently is in, there is a minimum $130 cost difference.

Is this something United has done in lieu of change fees? Charge something for a different day, even if there's "officially" no change fees?

The return flight is in early September, and even if I move the return date to the middle of October - typically not a high-price time of year - it's still minimum $130 price difference.

Anyone know of a way I can avoid what amounts to a change fee with this?

- Tim

Search this Thread