Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

View Poll Results: What do you think of the recent UA changes in Changes fees?
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual AND No Standby fee/Free SDC all elites
148
64.35%
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual but NOT No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite
25
10.87%
Good idea: No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite but NOT No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual
18
7.83%
Neutral /dont care about either
30
13.04%
Dont like / think either is a good idea
9
3.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 25, 22, 5:43 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: DELee
Wiki Link
Latest Update: 23 December 2021:

"Change fees are gone" (change fee waiver): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ngefeesaregone
We've permanently gotten rid of change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. There also won't be change fees for other international travel originating in the U.S. Learn more

For all other standard Economy and premium cabin tickets, change fees are waived through January 31, 2022. Basic Economy tickets can only be changed if theyre issued by December 31, 2021, for travel commencing by December 31, 2021. See terms and conditions
(change fee waiver) Terms and Conditions: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ChangeFeeTerms

Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through January 31, 2022, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

New fine print (1 April 2021)
  • You can change Basic Economy tickets without change fees if the ticket is issued by April 30, 2021,
  • and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by May 31, 2021.
  • If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit.
Updated 30 Sept 2021
Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly View Post
I just went through the process on a post-April 1st itinerary and was issued the new FFC vs ETCs. The agent tried to explain the new FFCs in detail:

The Bad:
1. No more ETC
2. No transferability
3. No combinability
4. Given there is no combinability, there is no more date-pushing (meaning new expiration date is most favorable of combined cert dates)

The Good:
5. Can use multiple towards a single itinerary (up to 10 she said)
6. Can pull from multiple accounts (3 from yours, 3 from spouse), so you don't have to split the locator to use from multiple accounts
7. Can be used on partner itineraries as long as one segment is UA
8. The FFCs show up in the account of the recipient and the booker. So I can see my spouse's FFCs if I booked the itenerary
9. FFCs now show up as a payment method in the app booking flow. For multi-passenger FFCs, both passengers show up!

I can live with all this, in exchange for no change fees, and reclaiming residual!
The fine-print on the change rules:
  1. If the new ticket costs less, the residual value from the old ticket is lost
  2. Multiple cancelled reservations cannot be combined to pay for a more expensive ticket
  3. Strictly U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean only (excludes Canada) and excludes Basic Economy and International flights
    1. Worldwide until Dec 31, 2020
United Airlines Permanently Eliminates Change Fees
Applies to all Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S.;
Airline also announces complimentary standby travel, becomes only U.S. airline that will let all customers in all classes of service fly same-day standby for free
With these new options, United gives more flexibility than any other U.S. carrier when customers' travel plans change
Video(1) Photos(1)

CHICAGO, Aug. 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The only thing constant is change and at United Airlines, some of the fees associated with changes related to flying are gone for good. The carrier announced today that it is permanently getting rid of change fees on all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., effective immediately. And starting on January 1, 2021, any United customer can fly standby for free on a flight departing the day of their travel regardless of the type of ticket or class of service, a first among U.S. carriers, while MileagePlus Premier members can confirm a seat on a different flight on the same day with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket if a seat in the same ticket fare class is available.

United is also extending its waiver for new tickets issued through December 31, 2020, to permit unlimited changes with no fee. This policy applies to all ticket types issued after March 3, 2020 and is valid for domestic and international travel. With these improvements, no U.S. airline gives their customers more flexibility when booking and changing their travel plans than United Airlines.

"Change is inevitable these days but it's how we respond to it that matters most. When we hear from customers about where we can improve, getting rid of this fee is often the top request," said Scott Kirby, CEO of United Airlines, in a video message to customers. "Following previous tough times, airlines made difficult decisions to survive, sometimes at the expense of customer service. United Airlines won't be following that same playbook as we come out of this crisis. Instead, we're taking a completely different approach and looking at new ways to serve our customers better."

The new change fee policy applies to all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S. 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and customers will not be limited in the number of times they adjust their flights.

Additionally, United is giving customers more flexibility to change their flights on the day of their travel so they can head home if a meeting ends earlier or enjoy a few more hours on vacation. With the ability to list for same-day standby for free, customers will now have an option to take a different flight with the same origin and destination airports as their original itinerary if space is available at departure. This enhanced option will be available to all customers for travel within the U.S. and to and from international destinations beginning on January 1, 2021. Customers who want to switch flights will be able to add themselves to the standby list through United's award-winning mobile app, on united.com or at the airport no later than 30 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights and one hour before departure on international flights.

The carrier is also improving the travel experience for its MileagePlus members including waiving all redeposit fees on award travel for flights changed or cancelled more than 30 days before departure and allowing all MileagePlus Premier members to confirm a different flight on the day of their travel. As a way to thank MileagePlus Premier members for their loyalty, beginning January 1, 2021, all Premier members will be able to confirm a seat for free on a different flight with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket. This expanded option will allow MileagePlus Silver members and above to confirm a new seat in the same ticket fare class if space is available. Earlier this year, United announced that it will extend status for MileagePlus Premier and Global Services members through January 2022. United also reduced thresholds for Premier qualification by 50 percent for each status level, to make reaching an even higher status tier easier.

For more information on United's new flexible travel policies, visit https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html.

......
Related Threads
AA Eliminates Many Change Fees, Other Benefits 31 Aug 2020
Delta to Eliminate Change Fees on Domestic Tickets [Consolidated Thread]
Alaska Eliminates Change Fees (9/1/2020)

UA will extend BE/International change fee waiver (In response to AA?)
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 18, 22, 7:25 pm
  #811  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 4,695
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
SDC or normal change (with potential repricing?)

And yes call, too risky online
both but I get the picture
eng3 is offline  
Old Apr 18, 22, 2:41 pm
  #812  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2
I'd like some clarification on "no-cancellation fees" for international flight. United says "You also won’t pay change fees for international travel originating in the U.S."
For a trip to Portugal, does that cover the flight out and the return (We're planning for DEN-LIS, OPO-DEN?
If part of the flight is on Lufthansa or TAP, will those cancellation fees be waived too?
And finally - how long will I have to use the credit?

Thank you (So much information here!)
cedyathome is offline  
Old Apr 18, 22, 6:11 pm
  #813  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 60,104
Originally Posted by cedyathome View Post
I'd like some clarification on "no-cancellation fees" for international flight. United says "You also won’t pay change fees for international travel originating in the U.S."
For a trip to Portugal, does that cover the flight out and the return (We're planning for DEN-LIS, OPO-DEN?
If part of the flight is on Lufthansa or TAP, will those cancellation fees be waived too?
And finally - how long will I have to use the credit?

Thank you (So much information here!)
The "no-change fees" policy covers roundtrips and partner flights in eligible itins

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 19, 22 at 10:48 am Reason: split post to move discussion
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Apr 19, 22, 7:03 am
  #814  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 12,558
Originally Posted by cedyathome View Post
I'd like some clarification on "no-cancellation fees" for international flight. United says "You also won’t pay change fees for international travel originating in the U.S."
For a trip to Portugal, does that cover the flight out and the return (We're planning for DEN-LIS, OPO-DEN?
If part of the flight is on Lufthansa or TAP, will those cancellation fees be waived too?
And finally - how long will I have to use the credit?

Thank you (So much information here!)
Just to be clear, I believe you are talking about change fees.

There is never a fee or charge to cancel a ticket, on any carrier, and there never has been. A carrier is always happy to remove your reservation on a flight and keep your money. After you cancel a ticket, all you have is a canceled ticket - then you presumably want to do something with it.

A "cancellation fee" usually refers to a fee for refunding a ticket once you have canceled it. This is an uncommon provision; most tickets are either non-refundable (cannot be refunded at all), or refundable for no fee. However, some international fares (historically to Asia and Australia) are refundable-minus-penalty or carry a cancellation fee.

A "change fee" is a fee to use the value of a canceled (or valid) ticket toward other travel.

Although United has announced a policy, all of these things are actually encoded in the fare rules. Right now, if you do not fly in Basic Economy, United has no change fees in any market that I am aware of (including international markets, but check the fare rules before you trust me). If you use United fares (which will happen if you buy a ticket from United), then all of your travel will be bound by these rules, regardless of which airline(s) you are scheduled to travel on.

I did check, and neither DEN-LIS nor DEN-OPO have change fees, and note that if your ticket originates in the US, you use the DEN-OPO fare to come home, not the OPO-DEN fare.
findark is offline  
Old Apr 19, 22, 8:48 am
  #815  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Just to be clear, I believe you are talking about change fees.

There is never a fee or charge to cancel a ticket, on any carrier, and there never has been. A carrier is always happy to remove your reservation on a flight and keep your money. After you cancel a ticket, all you have is a canceled ticket - then you presumably want to do something with it.

A "cancellation fee" usually refers to a fee for refunding a ticket once you have canceled it. This is an uncommon provision; most tickets are either non-refundable (cannot be refunded at all), or refundable for no fee. However, some international fares (historically to Asia and Australia) are refundable-minus-penalty or carry a cancellation fee.

A "change fee" is a fee to use the value of a canceled (or valid) ticket toward other travel.

Although United has announced a policy, all of these things are actually encoded in the fare rules. Right now, if you do not fly in Basic Economy, United has no change fees in any market that I am aware of (including international markets, but check the fare rules before you trust me). If you use United fares (which will happen if you buy a ticket from United), then all of your travel will be bound by these rules, regardless of which airline(s) you are scheduled to travel on.

I did check, and neither DEN-LIS nor DEN-OPO have change fees, and note that if your ticket originates in the US, you use the DEN-OPO fare to come home, not the OPO-DEN fare.
Thank you for answering my questions and educating me on the terminology.
cedyathome is offline  
Old Apr 20, 22, 12:23 am
  #816  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 14,263
Originally Posted by cedyathome View Post
I'd like some clarification on "no-cancellation fees" for international flight. United says "You also wont pay change fees for international travel originating in the U.S."
For a trip to Portugal, does that cover the flight out and the return (We're planning for DEN-LIS, OPO-DEN?
If part of the flight is on Lufthansa or TAP, will those cancellation fees be waived too?
And finally - how long will I have to use the credit?

Thank you (So much information here!)
Originally Posted by cedyathome View Post
Thank you for answering my questions and educating me on the terminology.
And welcome back to FlyerTalk, cedyathome !

David
DELee is offline  
Old Apr 20, 22, 9:39 am
  #817  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Posts: 12,943
feels like I should know this answer, but don't: is there, in 2022, a nonrefundable business fare class where you'll actually lose your cash entirely if you cancel or change? no credit, no nothing?

was looking ex-USA to EDI in business, return priced out as a D fare. the rules state it's nonrefundable, and of course the most restrictive rules apply to the entire ticket...couldn't find in the miles of all caps boilerplate where it says you get something back if you change the ticket, but I may just not have looked in the right place. anyone? TIA.
karenkay is offline  
Old Apr 20, 22, 9:46 am
  #818  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 60,104
Originally Posted by karenkay View Post
feels like I should know this answer, but don't: is there, in 2022, a nonrefundable business fare class where you'll actually lose your cash entirely if you cancel or change? no credit, no nothing?

was looking ex-USA to EDI in business, return priced out as a D fare. the rules state it's nonrefundable, and of course the most restrictive rules apply to the entire ticket...couldn't find in the miles of all caps boilerplate where it says you get something back if you change the ticket, but I may just not have looked in the right place. anyone? TIA.
On a voluntary cancellation, you will get a future flight credit (FFC) that presently is good til Dec 2023
Did United Extend unused tickets to 12/2023??
karenkay likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Apr 23, 22, 12:46 am
  #819  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K 0.6MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Posts: 1,169
Lower fare found...cancel (FFC) and rebook? Or can I just 'change'?

I booked a reservation back at the beginning of March for a trip in May. I've been tracking the price on Google Flights, and just happened to notice today that the price went down about $100 (didn't get any notification from Google flights, even though I have notifications turned on, but that's a separate issue), so I called the UA 1K desk to see what my options are. They said that since I booked the flight more than 30 days ago, I could either pay $50 to have them change the flight directly (I was a bit confused by this option, but didn't ask for clarification, as I wasn't really interested in having to pay to make the change), or I/they could cancel the original reservation, get FFC (which I'm sure I'll be able to use before it expires) and then rebook the new reservation. Does that sound right? Did I misunderstand something, or was there another option that I should have been given?

In the mean time, I've just gone ahead and booked the new reservation without cancelling the old one yet, (so that I don't lose out on the deal), and worst case will just cancel the original to get the FFC for a future trip sometime. I've got 24 hours to cancel that booking for free, of course, if need be. Thoughts? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, I had previously applied some PPs to try to get an upgrade...I assume those will automatically redeposit if I cancel the original reservation?

Last edited by mpiotrow; Apr 23, 22 at 12:54 am
mpiotrow is offline  
Old Apr 23, 22, 1:26 am
  #820  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 60,104
Originally Posted by mpiotrow View Post
I booked a reservation back at the beginning of March for a trip in May. I've been tracking the price on Google Flights, and just happened to notice today that the price went down about $100 (didn't get any notification from Google flights, even though I have notifications turned on, but that's a separate issue), so I called the UA 1K desk to see what my options are. They said that since I booked the flight more than 30 days ago, I could either pay $50 to have them change the flight directly (I was a bit confused by this option, but didn't ask for clarification, as I wasn't really interested in having to pay to make the change), or I/they could cancel the original reservation, get FFC (which I'm sure I'll be able to use before it expires) and then rebook the new reservation. Does that sound right? Did I misunderstand something, or was there another option that I should have been given? ...
UA blocks an FFC from rebooking the same flight in the same cabin. TO aviod the fee, you will have to book a different flight anf then cancel that flight and rebook the original flight

Originally Posted by mpiotrow View Post
In the mean time, I've just gone ahead and booked the new reservation without cancelling the old one yet, (so that I don't lose out on the deal), and worst case will just cancel the original to get the FFC for a future trip sometime. I've got 24 hours to cancel that booking for free, of course, if need be. Thoughts? ...
a very high likelihood UA will change one of you flights as a duplicate and likely very soon. UA has vastly improved their dulicated / overlapping flight detection

Originally Posted by mpiotrow View Post
I had previously applied some PPs to try to get an upgrade...I assume those will automatically redeposit if I cancel the original reservation?
yes -- but if the had not cleared, it does not matter. You can request more flights than the PlusPoints you have. That was a change UA made with PlusPoints. You just need enough PlusPoints to cover the flights that clear.

So different than with GPUs but it is actually better.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Apr 23, 22, 1:33 am
  #821  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K 0.6MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Posts: 1,169
Thanks for the quick reply, WineCountryUA ! I've been delaying canceling my original flight, because I have not received an email confirmation after I purchased the new flight. But, if I go look at my reservations, it's definitely shown in there, appears to be ticketed, etc. I've requested an email receipt twice (to 2 different email addresses), and still nothing. Even got on the app's chat feature and asked an agent to email me a reservation. She said she did, and that it could take "up to a day" for it to arrive. I've never had an email receipt take that long to arrive. Needless to say, I still haven't received anything, and I'm a bit scared that if I cancel the original reservation, and I don't have any record of my new reservation, they might somehow cancel that one also.

EDIT: Well, speak of the devil, UA just automatically cancelled my old reservation! I was actually on the phone with the 1K desk at the time, just wanting to make sure everything looked good on their end and to request the reservation receipt (yet again), when all of a sudden I got the cancellation email. I still have yet to receive any sort of confirmation/receipt of the new reservation, so I printed the details shown when I click on the trip in the 'My Trips' section. As I said, everything looks normal in the new reservation online (it shows the date/time it was ticketed, etc), and I was able to get the agent to apply my PPs to this new reservation, but I still just can't get a copy of the receipt sent to me. I don't understand what's happening!

On a related note, it still says my other 40PPs (from the previous reservation) are still 'requested'...does that just take a bit of time for them to redeposit into my account?

EDIT 2: Well, I tried to request the receipt in the app one more time, and this time it actually worked. So, all appears to be fine now. I still wonder what happened...

Last edited by mpiotrow; Apr 23, 22 at 2:12 am
mpiotrow is offline  
Old Apr 28, 22, 8:28 am
  #822  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA, UA, DL, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton, National, Hertz
Posts: 1,353
My wife and I have an upcoming RT IAD-CHS. Each leg was booked as a one-way in regular Economy, using her Travel Bank points to partially pay for the outbound, and my TB points to partially pay for the return. The fares for each leg just dropped enough that I would like to rebook to take advantage of the lower fares, but no idea how to do that given the TB points in the equation.

If I cancel and rebook, which seems to be the preferred way to go under normal circumstances, will I then lose the TB points? If so then this would not be worth the change.

Or will this work: For each leg there is an earlier flight the same day. Both the currently held flights and the earlier flights now have new and identical lower fares on each leg. Can I change each leg to an earlier flight, get a FFC, then change back to the desired later flight at the same lower fare? This would effectively put us back on the same flight(s) that we're currently holding but at lower fares. Or will the TB Points become an issue here as well? FYI the TB Points that were used had an expiration of June 2022, if that matters.

Last edited by bob12403; Apr 28, 22 at 9:20 am
bob12403 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 22, 9:07 am
  #823  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Posts: 12,322
Originally Posted by bob12403 View Post
If I cancel and rebook, which seems to be the preferred way to go under normal circumstances, will I then lose the TB points? If so then this would not be worth the change.

Or will this work: For each leg there is an earlier flight the same day. Both the currently held flights and the earlier flights now have new and identical lower fares on each leg. Can I change each leg to an earlier flight, get a FFC, then change back to the desired later flight at the same lower fare? This would effectively put us back on the same flight(s) that we're currently holding but at lower fares. Or will the TB Points become an issue here as well? FYI the TB Points that were used had an expiration of June 2022, if that matters.
This switch to a different flight, then back to the original, is the standard FlyerTalk technique for taking advantage of fare reductions.

For "refunds", the money is given back to the original form(s) of payment (FoP), e.g., credit card, future flight credit (FFC), TravelBank, etc. Refunds are usually given only for involuntary cancelation by UA, or for wholly refundable fares whose FoP were also fully refundable.

For voluntarily cancelations such as yours, that were not fully refundable, one does not receive a "refund" but an FFC. This does not depend on the FoP, so the fact that most of it was TB should not matter.

However, as I've never had a TB account, I should let someone more knowledgeable chime in.
SPN Lifer is online now  
Old Apr 28, 22, 2:45 pm
  #824  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 13,713
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
This switch to a different flight, then back to the original, is the standard FlyerTalk technique for taking advantage of fare reductions.

For "refunds", the money is given back to the original form(s) of payment (FoP), e.g., credit card, future flight credit (FFC), TravelBank, etc. Refunds are usually given only for involuntary cancelation by UA, or for wholly refundable fares whose FoP were also fully refundable.

For voluntarily cancelations such as yours, that were not fully refundable, one does not receive a "refund" but an FFC. This does not depend on the FoP, so the fact that most of it was TB should not matter.

However, as I've never had a TB account, I should let someone more knowledgeable chime in.
this is correct. Assuming a non-refundable fare, TB is irrelevant. Plus, its just a form of payment, so I tend to think of it like a UA only credit card (though yes, with a much bigger PITA if you are actually trying to refund due to IRROPS, cancel within 24 hours, refundable fare, etc). Even on a refundable fare, canceling should still gauge your an option to have the refund back into an FFC, which is actually an easier proposition (though it comes with some restrictions like funds can only be used for original pax).

for a fare drop, in this case, OP would simply change to an earlier (or later) flight, then change back. Note outright cancel will still not allow an option to go back onto original flight with same type of fare - it will have to be changed first, then change back. Change can be to anything - earlier later flight in same route, same route different day, or even wholly different route, although same route is usually easiest as it will likely have same fares and you only have to deal with one FFC. Best route is to find an earlier or later flight with the new fare, take the FFC for balance, then immediately change back to original flight. Or to chnage to an earlier/later flight at same as original fare, then change back to existing flight and get FFC with the second change. Again, travelbank is irrelevant unless this is a refundable fare and you choose to ask for a refund - this can also take weeks to come back so also the most PITA option.
SPN Lifer likes this.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Apr 29, 22, 9:36 am
  #825  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA, UA, DL, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton, National, Hertz
Posts: 1,353
Thanks to those who offered advice on changing a flight and changing back to take advantage of lower fares after the initial booking. I just completed the exchange>exchange back for both legs, and it was very simple. TravelBank $$ that had been used in the initial booking were not a complicating factor at all.

Outbound I saved a total of $54 on both tickets by exchanging for the less-expensive earlier flight, then making an even exchange back to my original flight.

The return I initially saved $134 exchanging for the earlier flight, but had to pay $60 to get back on the original flight as that cost was higher than the earlier flight. Using the newly issued FFC was not an option for payment of the differential. However, the total cost for the return leg was still less than we initially paid. My out of pocket savings was $74 for the return with a net savings of $128 for the round trip. FFC's issued for $188 and travel must start 12/31/23, which is hardly going to be a problem. Greatly appreciate your information!
SPN Lifer likes this.
bob12403 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread