FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2024230-change-fees-gone-good-ww-ex-usa-non-credit-lower-fare-intl-waiver.html)

threeoh Aug 30, 2020 5:31 pm

This is a great move and will cause me to book UA when I am only 80% sure of my plans instead of waiting till I am 95% sure. Previously I had often booked WN if I was concerned I would have to change my plans.

Maybe next weekend UA will announce open seating policy and two bags fly free?

J.Edward Aug 30, 2020 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by jmastron (Post 32640916)
No residual is a BIG difference from Southwest -- less stress over fares potentially dropping...

The way I read that is when a customer is within the 24hr check in window SDC, or whatever it evolves into, allows one to confirm the change as long as the underlying booking class is open, ignoring any fare difference. I am not familiar with WN’s policy, but I don’t think (?) WN offers the same flexibility within the 24hr check in window. In other words even on WN, if you change a flight within 24hrs of the flight taking off, and even if the corresponding fare class is open, you are still liable/eligible for the fare due/fare refunded.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly (Post 32640918)
To date, Kirby's management team has made smart operating moves. Raising cash aggressively, launching point-to-point domestic routes, and brilliantly monetizing MP was impressive.

Caught that in the YouTube video. It’s worth a watch. Also agree with your 8 points.

I do think UA’s got an exposure point on the international tilt of the carrier. Setting aside the contentious political climate in the country right now, US / China relations are deteriorating and if the trend continues for dis-integration with China (i.e. supply chains relocating away from China), one of the main drivers of UA’s international network will suddenly loose its luster. If one considers the amount of international lift UA dedicated to PEK/PVG/CTU (and possibly HKG) that may be rendered commercially unviable if the underlying business that supported the routes wanes, UA’s going to be left figuring out where to fly those expensive widebodies too. Maybe domestic picks up some of the slack, maybe new secondary cities open up once we get past the current medical concerns, maybe existing routes are beefed up...who knows. At the risk of repeating myself, the issue here is macro demand. I think UA is well positioned to take advantage of this when things bounce back but at the downside of having to bear the carrying costs of parking planes, RIF’s, etc.

Originally Posted by EWRSNA (Post 32640946)
To avoid the issue with losing residual value couldn’t one cancel the ticket instead of changing it? That would presumably result in a future flight credit that could be used the next time you want to book an equal or more expensive fare. Then to accomplish the change you just book a new ticket.

Yeep. Although the carrier may introduce something to a “redeposit to your travel bank with us fee” to do so.

If UA Insider returns to this thread a point to be clarified is what happens at the 24hr mark when the check in window opens?

It seems self evident any change prior to this would be a confirmed change, a/c charged if applicable. However when one is within the 24 hour window and standby / SDC-with-no-a/c is in play, what happens then if someone wants to confirm a change vs standby vs [ ? ].

username Aug 30, 2020 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh (Post 32640989)
This is a great move and will cause me to book UA when I am only 80% sure of my plans instead of waiting till I am 95% sure. Previously I had often booked WN if I was concerned I would have to change my plans.

Maybe next weekend UA will announce open seating policy and two bags fly free?

Remember, UA's pattern has been good news followed by bad news. So, bad news is what I am waiting for.

planes&trains Aug 30, 2020 5:40 pm

Argh. Paid redeposit fee on two award cancelations just this morning at 4am. Both over 90 days out.

But it's okay. I want UA to make it through this mess. Don't mind doing my part. I want planes back in the skies.

swag Aug 30, 2020 5:43 pm

Huge, and it's hard to see how AA & DL don't match.

As far as the price drop, it seems you could cancel and then use part of the credit to get a new ticket to recoup the difference. Or if they don't allow that, buy the new ticket with new money and save the credit for a later, pricier trip.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html

Do I have to choose a new flight right away?

No. If you cancel your flight and don’t choose a new one right away, you’ll get a flight credit that you can use up to one year from your original ticket issue date.

jsloan Aug 30, 2020 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 32640663)
We’ll find out - the FAQ doesn’t state or imply this - other than saying you won't get a *refund* of the difference. I interpret refund as a cash refund, but maybe they mean no voucher residual either. It is explicit that if you don’t have a new flight you can turn it into a full credit for later.

No voucher residual.

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 32640663)
Which is how it works today. And then you can apply partial credit until it’s exhausted.

You will not be able to apply partial credit from these fares until it's exhausted.

Originally Posted by Doppy (Post 32640743)
Very customer friendly changes.

Actually, IMO, this is a consumer-unfriendly change, unless you're able to buy a lot of $100 tickets, which never would have had any residual value anyway.

Originally Posted by Doppy (Post 32640743)
Though this cuts into the benefits of being a high tier elite -free confirmed SDC was one of the benefits I valued the most.

That doesn't really seem to have changed much. Confirmed SDC is going to be a big improvement over same-day standby.

Originally Posted by EWRSNA (Post 32640946)
To avoid the issue with losing residual value couldn’t one cancel the ticket instead of changing it? That would presumably result in a future flight credit that could be used the next time you want to book an equal or more expensive fare. Then to accomplish the change you just book a new ticket.

Yes, that's the only way to work the system. Which is fine, as long as you book flights frequently in your own name. But woe to the traveler who books their once-in-a-lifetime trip somewhere only to find that they need to change it. (And, if this is successful domestically, expect to see it extend internationally as well, where residual values are even more common).

There's an entire thread on "how to get residual value from future flight credit" that has just become mostly impossible.

Originally Posted by username (Post 32640998)
Remember, UA's pattern has been good news followed by bad news. So, bad news is what I am waiting for.

This is the bad news.

I think people are really, really underestimating this no-residual-value thing. The no-residual-value policy is the primary reason that I haven't booked a flight with United in the COVID era, even speculatively. I don't change flights frequently, but when I do, I frequently have some residual value left over. I don't really like the idea of having multiple vouchers sitting around waiting for the next time I find an expensive enough fare to use it on.

Originally Posted by swag (Post 32641021)
As far as the price drop, it seems you could cancel and then use part of the credit to get a new ticket to recoup the difference.

Not possible, unless you can convince UA to continue to issue ETCs, which I don't think they will.

Originally Posted by swag (Post 32641021)
Or if they don't allow that, buy the new ticket with new money and save the credit for a later, pricier trip.

Yes, that's the only approach that would work.

chix Aug 30, 2020 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 32640731)
Game changer. Others (DL and AA) will be forced to follow.

Indeed! AA and DL will be forced to match. Now, please block middle seats through the end of the year as many are still not comfortable with airline travel.

EWRSNA Aug 30, 2020 6:15 pm

If a one-way ticket prices on a half RT basis, is there any reason to book RT? Change fee savings were the only previous benefit I could think of and with the no-residual rules it’ll be advantageous to have 2 cheaper tickets vs. 1 pricier one.

okrogius Aug 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32641042)
Not possible, unless you can convince UA to continue to issue ETCs, which I don't think they will.

ETC cancel option is officially gone after end of July. If they were to keep it, or (better yet) offer some travel-bank refund similar to Alaska, then this would be truly awesome. Now, with the residual value loss, it's somewhat of a mixed bag as you pointed out (maybe more positive than negative, but certainly some amount of negative).

ezefllying Aug 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by kevflyer (Post 32640646)
Wow! That's excellent news. Though I wish this also applies to Canada.

So basically nothing changed with SDC except it's also available to Silvers now?

I hope that's true. The way the statement is worded, I was wondering if they were going to the AA/DL model of only allowing SDC within the same calendar day. The +/-24 hour UA SDC policy is vastly more convenient and a reason I've maintained my status. But it may just be that explaining the (admittedly confusing) SDC system in a general press release is a bad idea.

UA Fan Aug 30, 2020 6:41 pm

Good move, just wish it was free date changes to intl awards as well.

Eurynom0s Aug 30, 2020 6:50 pm

Sorry if I missed this, but I read through the entire thread and didn't see this: does no change fee include no penalty for just cancelling a flight outright (presumably as travel wallet funds and not a refund to the original form of payment)?

Originally Posted by okrogius (Post 32640869)
If you change to a cheaper fare on Southwest, do you get to keep residual value of the ticket? You don't on United. So this seems like marketing over relatively little changes.

It's a pretty large incentive not to book premium-cabin tickets occasionally, since you won't be able to change to a coach fare without loosing noticeable amounts.

I'm not sure how the change works on Southwest, but with Southwest you can also just cancel and rebook using the travel voucher you just got for cancelling.

spartacusmcfly Aug 30, 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32641042)
I think people are really, really underestimating this no-residual-value thing...

It's mice nuts for most folks.

1. Frequent flyers can easily use it for an upcoming flight of equal or greater value.
2. Infrequent flyers won't care that their $330 flight is now $310 and they're leaving $20 on the table. They're ecstatic they can easily change dates and that they're not incurring the $150 change-fee gut-punch.

Also, if you're making a date change, it's usually close-in. How many times are fares materially cheaper close in...

okrogius Aug 30, 2020 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s (Post 32641129)
Sorry if I missed this, but I read through the entire thread and didn't see this: does no change fee include no penalty for just cancelling a flight outright (presumably as travel wallet funds and not a refund to the original form of payment)?

You can cancel and get "Future Flight Credit" (previous ticket number retains value). Wallet funds/ETC are not an option.
This means the value cannot be used for another person, and you loose residual value if the new ticket is cheaper.

(This is indeed very different than how it works on Southwest. Southwest is very traveler friendly comparatively, whereas this is an improvement for most, but with some downsides.)

jsloan Aug 30, 2020 7:03 pm

It would remain as future flight credit, not aggregated into a travel bank.

I'm not sure how the change works on Southwest, but with Southwest you can also just cancel and rebook using the travel voucher you just got for cancelling.

That will not be useful in this case, because the residual amount would still be lost.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly (Post 32641134)
1. Frequent flyers can easily use it for an upcoming flight of equal or greater value.

Everybody has a most expensive flight that they've taken during some particular period of time, no matter how frequently they fly.

2. Infrequent flyers won't care that their $330 flight is now $310 and they're leaving $20 on the table. They're ecstatic they can easily change dates and that they're not incurring the $150 change-fee gut-punch.

Until they try to change destinations from Hawaii to Florida and find that they're still paying Hawaii prices.

Also, if you're making a date change, it's usually close-in. How many times are fares materially cheaper close in...

If I'm making a date change, I'm often making a destination change also.