FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2024230-change-fees-gone-good-ww-ex-usa-non-credit-lower-fare-intl-waiver.html)

Doppy Aug 30, 2020 3:21 pm

Very customer friendly changes.

Though this cuts into the benefits of being a high tier elite -free confirmed SDC was one of the benefits I valued the most.

Miles Ahead Aug 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 32640555)
any United customer can fly standby for free

You might want to reword that.

drowelf Aug 30, 2020 3:36 pm

Bravo! A change that is extremely Customer Oriented.

Plane-is-home Aug 30, 2020 3:47 pm

Another 1K/GS perk gone. Will be impossible what used to be easy

username Aug 30, 2020 3:50 pm

Wow, this is kind of crazy and you wonder, other than the "If your new flight costs less, you’ll be able to change for free but will not receive a refund of the fare difference." and given UA's past good news/bad news tactics, what is the bad news that is to come.

Award change fee is also gone for domestic and redeposit fee is also gone if refunded > 30 days in advance for all tickets.

I am definitely glad I did not try to do mileage runs to get to 1K last year.

Let's see how "permanent" this is.

prestonh Aug 30, 2020 3:51 pm

It was obvious with the waivers that they had no revenue from the change fees and competitive analysis likely revealed forward bookings were lost to wn when they looked at the historical downtown/shock periods. To say it is only customer friendly is half right. The change fees originated out of scarcity. They are now vanishing in a sea of surplus seats. Supply and demand

WineCountryUA Aug 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 32640778)
Another 1K/GS perk gone. ...

How?

Plane-is-home Aug 30, 2020 3:53 pm

As someone that already had that perk I hate the change because it will now be impossible to make that standby when you need it.

hscottm Aug 30, 2020 3:54 pm

Ok who took over Kirby’s body?

seriously though.. amazed to see this, but happy. Hopefully seen as a good way to build back trust and loyalty to buy tickets. Think of All the forum posts lately on following nuances of change fee stuff

Plane-is-home Aug 30, 2020 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32640790)
How?

because before when it was costing money for most, it was easy do make last minute changes or get GS to rebook you. Now there will be longer lists.

WineCountryUA Aug 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 32640799)
because before when it was costing money for most, it was easy do make last minute changes or get GS to rebook you. Now there will be longer lists.

Perhaps GS agent were waiving change fees but that was not happening for 1Ks
And if you worry about standby list, GS will be at the top and the others will not affect GS options

And Gold and Plat had free SDC already.

J.Edward Aug 30, 2020 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 32640555)
The carrier announced today that it is permanently getting rid of change fees on all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., effective immediately.

Good news, glad to see UA taking the initiative here...will be nice to see a “UA does [ x ], when will DL follow” posted by our friends over on the DL forum.

...and there it is! https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ta-follow.html

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 32640625)
You can thank Southwest and the govt for this one.

Little intl travel = Southwest is your biggest competitor.

And airlines asking for more bailout $$$ = cleaning up the act is part of the grooming.

Hopefully flight credits will still work like today - residual value if you book a flight less than the face value.

Well said. Also would note Alaska, the donut-hole-airline [read: too big to be small and too small to be big] effectively offered this for their mid tier and above elites.

Originally Posted by prestonh (Post 32640782)
To say it is only customer friendly is half right. The change fees originated out of scarcity.

Said something similar back in February prior to the full on awareness of what we were in for with COVID. Basically it boils down to a macro demand problem that the carriers have no tools to address.

edited to add - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ack-swans.html

Originally Posted by J.Edward (Post 32022261)
FWIW here's my take, much of it stemming from a central philosophy I have: the person who holds power in a relationship is the person who holds the power to walk away.

1. If demand falls, UA will have to increase its attractiveness. Whether that's cheaper fares, more miles, better upgrades, I do not know. But this strikes me as being different than management's stance during 2017/18/19 where you saw UA adopting a less customer-friendly stance (rising thresholds for PQDs/PQPs), dynamic award pricing, pushback against Chase, etc. Big picture take away: if UA all of sudden finds it needing customers MORE than customers needing UA, the power dynamic shifts in favor of the customer meaning UA's going to have to offer more, not less.

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 32640639)
The devil in in the details...These are the types of things that ordinary folks don't know and will find out the hard way.

Yeah...but on the whole how will the average customer benefit more: getting a residual voucher back or paying $200 for a change fee.

Let me say it another way: looking back to 2019 - the last “normal” year - what amount do you think was higher: 1. Change fees, or 2. Residual values. I’m not saying there’s no nuance here, but for the average customer this will produce an positive outcome the majority (note: not ALL) the time.

I’ll also note change fees are were a material source of income for the carrier. Don’t know what will be done to offset this - and to be fair, maybe UA doesn’t know either - but ALL carriers right now have a massive revenue problem and sooner or later this will have to be addressed. Maybe it’s higher fares, maybe it’s more subsidies, maybe [ → they ← ] will change monetary policy/reset the currency...I really don’t know. But sooner or later the economic reality of operating any airline will have to be balanced. I just hope we can find a path forward that allows the carrier to operate with pay/service levels/benefits/products that work for all...but for now, a win is a win and glad to see UA making the best of a bad situation.

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home (Post 32640792)
As someone that already had that perk I hate the change because it will now be impossible to make that standby when you need it.

One would assume standby lists would retain a status component.

username Aug 30, 2020 4:06 pm

It will be interesting to see how this impacts UA and WN stocks.

So, does the UA system allow multiple trips in 1 PNR? For example, LAX-EWR-LAX-EWR-LAX? If your new trip costs less, can you add additional segments / trips so you don't lose the residual value?

His video also said route structure and more to come. Maybe they are going to have more of those focus-city type of seasonal routes?

IMissThe747 Aug 30, 2020 4:06 pm

Well done, United! I'm sure in the current circumstance this benefits United as well as customers. Nice job leading with a shared win for customers and company. Kudos on leaving the other airlines scrambling a bit during the hardest times the industry has known, not an easy task for sure!

DEN Aug 30, 2020 4:12 pm

As a 1K:

The no change fee is nice, but the lack of credit for reduction of fares could be costly.

Otherwise the same day standby is something I already have and and I hope they prioritize it by status, not time of request, fare class, ticket price paid or the position of the moon and stars.

As a 1K, United has offered me little for just passing the reduced 1K 2020 threshold besides some PP. If I’m going to change airline loyalty, now is probably the time to do it. I’ve got 16 months to earn status with another airline or Airline alliance before my 1K benefits expire.

United has traditionally tried to inspire low level status fliers to move up....many times at the expense of their premium customers.