Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Outsourcing Management Jobs, While Getting Government Support (job posting error?)

Old Aug 28, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Posted by One Mile at a Time.
United Airlines Outsourcing Management Jobs, All While Taking Billions Of Taxpayer Dollars To Preserve US Jobs
As mentioned above, United Airlines is eliminating about 30% of management positions at the company, through a combination of voluntary packages and involuntary furloughs.

Well, not so fast… the airline is now hiring for these jobs in India. If you go to United Airlines’ job search page, you’ll see the company is hiring for several management positions in Gurgaon, India.
Update: United Airlines is now claiming these India job postings were an error.
A United Airlines spokesperson has confirmed that United’s job postings in India were an error:
Print Wikipost

UA Outsourcing Management Jobs, While Getting Government Support (job posting error?)

Old Aug 21, 2020, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary

ugh. UA decided the best thing to do was RIF a bunch of their analysts, of which I am one, and outsource those jobs to India. Thankfully, I was able to quickly source a new job but seriously that hurt.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 27, 2020 at 12:40 pm Reason: merged
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
United Airlines Outsourcing Management Jobs, All While Getting Government Support

https://onemileatatime.com/united-airlines-outsourcing-management-jobs/

I just saw this and I'm shocked. Comments?
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is hardly unexpected or even news (remember, it's from a click bait blog).

UA, if it is going to survive, is going to have to trim, trim, and then trim further. No different than AA (look at the stories about upcoming separations there).

Keep the jobs at UA and either more revenue is needed (not happening just now) or something else gets cut.
JNelson113 and whlinder like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 12:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Suspect the outsourcing is mostly "white collar" jobs, not management jobs in the normal sense of the words.

And the"government support" is a bit of a red herring as that support ends 31 Sept and lacking recovery in the industry is the reason for these cuts.
perkele and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Not just United. Or just the airlines. Outsourcing has been going on for the past 2 decades in other industries, such as software and manufacturing.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by colpuck
ugh. UA decided the best thing to do was RIF a bunch of their analysts, of which I am one, and outsource those jobs to India. Thankfully, I was able to quickly source a new job but seriously that hurt.
Ouch, but at least you found a new job amazingly quickly. I hope you like the new position. I'm not sure whether I should offer congrats or condolences, perhaps condolences for the nonrev flight benefits.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Suspect the outsourcing is mostly "white collar" jobs, not management jobs in the normal sense of the words.
They're "management" jobs meaning they're not union jobs.
Dyce and Silver Fox like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
This is hardly unexpected or even news (remember, it's from a click bait blog).

UA, if it is going to survive, is going to have to trim, trim, and then trim further. No different than AA (look at the stories about upcoming separations there).

Keep the jobs at UA and either more revenue is needed (not happening just now) or something else gets cut.

And the"government support" is a bit of a red herring as that support ends 31 Sept and lacking recovery in the industry is the reason for these cuts.
My concern is more about outsourcing than the job cuts itself.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 27, 2020 at 1:25 pm Reason: OMNI content removed
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The government support isn't a red herring if airlines including UA are lobbying for a clean extension of CARES funding, at 2019 payroll levels, while making US-based management roles redundant and hiring for equivalent roles overseas.
lsquare and Silver Fox like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DMPHL
The government support isn't a red herring if airlines including UA are lobbying for a clean extension of CARES funding, at 2019 payroll levels, while making US-based management roles redundant and hiring for equivalent roles overseas.
I can understand if they're cutting jobs due to the economy. However, this seems more like outsourcing than anything else. Kirby should be ashame of himself.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
My concern is more about outsourcing than the job cuts itself.
What is wrong with outsourcing as it has a lot of benefits of a potential 24 hour workforce to gain efficiency and lower costs.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:28 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by colpuck
Thankfully, I was able to quickly source a new job but seriously that hurt.
Glad to hear you bounced back.

Never worked directly in the corporate world but wonder if the purported “””savings””” actually ever materialize from BPOing.

Yeah, I get the initial “sexy” cost savings argument but if you’re having to re-work, re-do, face potential political backlash, etc., is it [really] worth it in the long run?

Can’t but help believe they’re hidden and opaque costs which significantly undermine the initial value proposition of reducing costs.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Glad to hear you bounced back.

Never worked directly in the corporate world but wonder if the purported “””savings””” actually ever materialize from BPOing.

Yeah, I get the initial “sexy” cost savings argument but if you’re having to re-work, re-do, face potential political backlash, etc., is it [really] worth it in the long run?

Can’t but help believe they’re hidden and opaque costs which significantly undermine the initial value proposition of reducing costs.
exactly right... it’s cyclical... local hires, then some bright spark comes up with sexy outsource savings. Then things go downhill and everything is brought back in house at a greater expense than to begin with. The cycle then repeats.

it can be done successfully, but takes a lot more managing than it should. Most failed attempts at it are normally due to under-estimating the level of managing the outsource relationship requires.
MSPeconomist and Silver Fox like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:27 pm

Outsourcing is when the jobs are taken over by a 3rd party provider, reservations in the Philippines is a good example. These jobs are not being outsourced, they are employees of United Airlines, albeit at a substantially lower pay scale.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 7:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Outsourcing is when the jobs are taken over by a 3rd party provider, reservations in the Philippines is a good example. These jobs are not being outsourced, they are employees of United Airlines, albeit at a substantially lower pay scale.
Correct, the proper term, in that case, is "off shoring."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.