Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on 787-8 true Polaris and PP version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on 787-8 true Polaris and PP version

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm not as smart as you in figuring out how to read the site.
Given flight schedules, SFO-SIN is mostly at night, and SIN-SFO is in the day for about the first half of the flight. The sun will be mostly on the southern-facing side, so A for SFO-SIN and L for SIN-SFO.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by fumje
Given flight schedules, SFO-SIN is mostly at night, and SIN-SFO is in the day for about the first half of the flight. The sun will be mostly on the southern-facing side, so A for SFO-SIN and L for SIN-SFO.
In other words, avoid A-seats for SFO-SIN and L-seats for SIN-SFO?

If so, I just changed my seats to 44L on UA 1 and 44A on UA 2. Please let me know if I got it wrong or not. I don't want to make the same mistake I made when I flew SFO-PVG a few years ago! The sun was so annoying!
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
In other words, avoid A-seats for SFO-SIN and L-seats for SIN-SFO?

If so, I just changed my seats to 44L on UA 1 and 44A on UA 2. Please let me know if I got it wrong or not. I don't want to make the same mistake I made when I flew SFO-PVG a few years ago! The sun was so annoying!
Since SFO-SIN departs about 12 hours later than SFO-PVG did, the sun isn't much an issue on SFO-SIN — the flight is mostly in the dark.
For SIN-SFO, the A side will have less direct light than the L side.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS
1a or 6d

Hi all. I have an upcoming red eye flight to Europe where I would like to get some sleep. My best choices are 1a or 6d. I like the idea of the quiet mini cabin and don’t care about the window. Am I losing anything by switching to an aisle seat? Thanks for any tips
Old May 26, 2022, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
How is row E+ 42 on the 788 Polaris? Is there one or two bathrooms in front of row 42 and which side is the door on if it is only one bathroom? Thanks!
Old May 26, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by bagspacked
Hi all. I have an upcoming red eye flight to Europe where I would like to get some sleep. My best choices are 1a or 6d. I like the idea of the quiet mini cabin and don’t care about the window. Am I losing anything by switching to an aisle seat? Thanks for any tips
Both 1A and 6D are absolutely fine. I had no trouble sleeping in 1F which can't be much, if any, different than 1A.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some like to avoid the sun side of the aircraft SunFlight.net - Day and Night Flight Map
The link doesn't work. Is there a new URL?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
The link doesn't work. Is there a new URL?
it seems to have gone kaupt.
FR24 has a day/night display when playing back a recorded prior flight, awkward to use. Could not get flightaware or flightstats to that, their day / night views appeared static.
Could not find a direct equivalent to sunflight.net

Generally with a little thinking you can figure out -- east-west flights(sun mostly on the south depending on the latitude) are the north-south are harder. In between varies
sfvoyage likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:09 pm

My SFO-CDG aircraft in Dec just got changed from a 777-200 to a 787-800. Are seats 1A & 3A both good? I think they are more private (seat closer to the window).
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
My SFO-CDG aircraft in Dec just got changed from a 777-200 to a 787-800. Are seats 1A & 3A both good? I think they are more private (seat closer to the window).
I rode ORD-HND on 789 back in August.
3A is better than 1A. In 1A you are close to the bathrooms and gally which has some noise and light pollution, but 1A has slightly longer foot well.
5'10" I did not have problem in 3A but something to be aware of.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by EpsilonZer0
I rode ORD-HND on 789 back in August.
3A is better than 1A. In 1A you are close to the bathrooms and gally which has some noise and light pollution, but 1A has slightly longer foot well.
5'10" I did not have problem in 3A but something to be aware of.
Thanks for this. I did read the master thread on the 789. Do comments for both 788 and 789 Polaris seating apply to each other? (with the exception that for 788, the J cabins are only 5+2 rows)
Old Sep 8, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Thanks for this. I did read the master thread on the 789. Do comments for both 788 and 789 Polaris seating apply to each other? (with the exception that for 788, the J cabins are only 5+2 rows)
6A/6L combines the strengths of 1A and 3A. The mini cabin is very quiet.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, UA 1K
The mystery of 787-800 43JKL

Does anyone know why in this version of the 787-800 (to be used for SFO-BNE) only the right side of the aircraft's row 43 is designated Economy Plus? Are these crew rest seats or something, and are they better than regular Economy Plus?

Seat map is here:
https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un...ng_787-8_B.php
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I think it's just due to the galley difference ahead of the door 4 lavs.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. Don't use SeatGuru; the information is often inaccurate, and when accurate it's poorly presented; even UA's seat map is better: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...aft/787-8.html.
2. Look at Aerolopa to understand layouts: https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-78h.

The reason for the left/right seating asymmetry is there is a left/right asymmetry of galley allocation.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.