Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Silver lining from COVID grounding for UA traveller: Weight loss

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver lining from COVID grounding for UA traveller: Weight loss

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2020, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
There's some serious weight loss upthread. For me, regular good walks, with elevation gain, are the main contributor to about a 10lb loss. I was hoping for 20lbs but it hasn't come. Wine consumption has gone up in lockdown, which is not good, but business trips would always add 1-2lbs and that's not happening now. It wasn't so much the plane food, but it's the unhealthy lifestyle - walks are next to impossible and the food on the road in the USA is so sugar-laden that it's impossible not to gain weight.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Great thread! I would commute every week between YVR/SFO with trips to Asia and Europe added-in throughout the year. I've been working from home since 16MAR.

I tipped the scales at 199.7 pounds on 15MAY. I'm 182 cm / 6'0". I've never weighed 200 pounds in my life and it scared me. I'm now down 22.7 pounds with just two more pounds to hit my goal. Eating better and time on the treadmill that my wife has had and I've never used in the past 15 years. I have been doing a fast walk at a 7.0 km/h | 4.375 mph pace for an hour. My two Golden Retrievers (The Girls) take me out for my daily walk however that is only a 2.3 km walk. The Girls just turned 12 so they are slow on the walk.

I'm now the lowest I've weighed in three years and it feels great!! I've also shifted my main meal from dinner to lunch. When I hit my morning weight goal of 175 I'm going to celebrate with a McDouble (just the sandwich, not the combo - I have goals now, don't cha know I'll budget the 390 calories).

For the record, I'm a glass half-full kinda guy. When I gain weight I say it in kilos. When I lose weight, I say it in pounds.

Be safe everyone .

Cheers
Old Aug 19, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I have lost 12 pounds, which I attribute mostly to the substantially improved quality of my sleep. Being home every night makes it a lot easier for me to sleep well, and that is the key to weight loss for me. I could stand to lose another ten or so, and at the rate the US is going that’s probably about how long I will be grounded.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Love this thread! But if anyone thinks I am going to actually broadcast my weight on a public forum, you are sadly mistaken. I always say that is the one thing Mr jtwiz doesn't know about me after 36 years of marriage

When this first started, I lost about 5 lbs without trying - I'm pretty sure it was nerves. But I REALLY like to cook and with all this time on my hands, I did a ton of experimenting in the kitchen. And we were cranking through our wine cellar too So the 5 lbs came back on. But Mr jtwiz had a non-Covid health issue that caused us to make some dietary changes, so the bottom line is we are both down about 5 to 6 lbs from our March weight. I am still cooking up a storm, with some healthier adjustments!

We are avid walkers (30 miles a week, very briskly), and do a lot of biking and gardening. Even when I was on the road, I would fit in exercise - usually outside but sometimes in the gym.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I'm cheap, I feel compelled to eat "free" food whenever I get it. Polaris lounges / LHR GS lounge & international marriott concierge lounges* were killing me. Went from 210lbs to 163lbs since quarantine and not traveling. Mix of Keto & intermittent fasting. Plus less "free" wine & food. I still have a ways to go, my goal weight is 155 (being that I'm 5foot8). I may keep going to try to get under 150 and then STAY there. Return to travel will be rough though.

*BOM JW Marriott Sahar, I'm looking @ you.

Last edited by LordHamster; Aug 20, 2020 at 10:36 am
Old Aug 20, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I’m down 25 pounds so far really without trying. Being grounded means I’m sleeping better, exercising more and eating cleaner. Best part? Only five pounds were muscle so my body fat percentage is way down.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA ExP
Down 17lbs so far. Combination of healthy eating amd exercise.I still enjpy few drinks over the weekends,but try to eat really healthy during the week. Need to loose another 13lbs to be at the weight I was in the yeae2000
Old Aug 23, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’m a bit jealous of some of you, but for me losing weight is a bad thing as I’ve always been super skinny. Add stress and I all but stop eating. Thankfully I’m working hard to gain it back but right now I look way to thin and lost a lot of strength. I now eat nonstop, healthy food though in hopes I can gain back what I lost.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I’m a bit jealous of some of you, but for me losing weight is a bad thing as I’ve always been super skinny. Add stress and I all but stop eating. Thankfully I’m working hard to gain it back but right now I look way to thin and lost a lot of strength. I now eat nonstop, healthy food though in hopes I can gain back what I lost.
This is me. A few years ago had some health issues dropped to near 140 with hypotension. I gained some back but lost some with covid disrupting the schedule.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by prestonh
This is me. A few years ago had some health issues dropped to near 140 with hypotension. I gained some back but lost some with covid disrupting the schedule.
Apparently we are the rare few that need all we can get from United Airlines. For the others, don’t be jealous, this is a real problem for some of us. Actually scary at times. For whatever reason I always consumed anything and everything given on the airplane, and when I finally start flying again I hope to see something substantial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.