Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Help! Need award travel advice! Graduation trip to Japan -- Summer 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Need award travel advice! Graduation trip to Japan -- Summer 2021

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2020, 2:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I just want to point out that Japan is reasonably expensive, so getting there on points is fine, but you'll have hotel and dining expenses while there, where you will get a lot less space than you do in the US. Just be warned.
jsloan and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by npei
I applaud your determination to plan summer 2021 Japan trip for your son. It’s unclear if 2021 Olympics can take place without mass availability of vaccine. Japan Covid-19 border entry /quarantine requirements for foreigners are restrictive, but relatively less restrictive for USA citizens
https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/
Current entry restrictions are equally bad for everyone except Japanese citizens -- Americans are treated no better than anyone else. I live here on a long-term visa and can tell you there are daily news reports of long-term residents (who are not Japanese) stranded abroad with no way to re-enter the country. It will have lasting implications for attracting foreign talent (which Japan desperately needs) in the future.

OP, I see no problem in trying to book now. As you said, very worst case is you lose the miles if you can't travel but there are usually lots of routes to avoiding that. Best case is you get a good deal because you're booking (booking, not traveling) at a time of near-zero demand. My only advice is to try and fly into Haneda (HND) if at all possible -- exponentially closer to central Tokyo than Narita.

Also, avoid August -- it was 97F today with a real-feel temperature of 115F and that's about par for the course this time of year.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Olympic activities start well before the open ceremonies, so you are probably looking at June or late August/ Late August in Japan is terrible hot, humid.
The Olympics might actually be the perfect time to go to Japan. Japan will be putting their best foot forward as a welcoming country. You can probably get tickets to events. Not the most popular ones, but maybe a volleyball match, a day at the tennis center, or go watch rowing and say you saw an olympic event. Host cities tend to scare their locals into staying home. I flew into Atlanta the beginning of the 1996 olympics there and the airport was almost deserted. The roads were never busy and the pollution disappeared. Saw a number of events and the ticket prices were reasonable. I was able to snag award travel for the trip too. You might see lighter than normal international attendance next summer than normal. Something to think about.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by pfreet
The Olympics might actually be the perfect time to go to Japan. Japan will be putting their best foot forward as a welcoming country. You can probably get tickets to events. Not the most popular ones, but maybe a volleyball match, a day at the tennis center, or go watch rowing and say you saw an olympic event. Host cities tend to scare their locals into staying home. I flew into Atlanta the beginning of the 1996 olympics there and the airport was almost deserted. The roads were never busy and the pollution disappeared. Saw a number of events and the ticket prices were reasonable. I was able to snag award travel for the trip too. You might see lighter than normal international attendance next summer than normal. Something to think about.
Came here to say this. Hotels/housing will be tough, but buying last-minute tickets (on the official resale site/app) would balance that out. If you're not looking to go to the highest-demand events (even the final rounds of the highest-demand events) you'll be able to go for a very affordable price..
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:16 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I just want to point out that Japan is reasonably expensive, so getting there on points is fine, but you'll have hotel and dining expenses while there, where you will get a lot less space than you do in the US. Just be warned.
I will echo this point, Japan isn't an inexpensive country to visit. Hotels, transportation, food and almost everything else is costly, the cost of the ticket to Japan is by far the least of your worries when it comes to expenses. I've been to Japan at least 200 times over the past 30 years so I speak from experience, I do agree everyone should visit Japan as it's one of the most extraordinary countries on earth, not to be missed.
jsloan and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I disagree. You can do Japan on a budget. You'll have to plan for sure and using points for hotels will help. If you dine out even in Tokyo and go with a filling Ramen meal at Tokyo station you'll pay like $10.
Going business to Japan with one-ways seems possible ... and I would certainly try and do that here.
roberto99, Kannai and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
I disagree. You can do Japan on a budget. You'll have to plan for sure and using points for hotels will help. If you dine out even in Tokyo and go with a filling Ramen meal at Tokyo station you'll pay like $10.
Going business to Japan with one-ways seems possible ... and I would certainly try and do that here.
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I will echo this point, Japan isn't an inexpensive country to visit. Hotels, transportation, food and almost everything else is costly, the cost of the ticket to Japan is by far the least of your worries when it comes to expenses. I've been to Japan at least 200 times over the past 30 years so I speak from experience, I do agree everyone should visit Japan as it's one of the most extraordinary countries on earth, not to be missed.
budget/price wise, I'd suggest OP to visit the japan forum/other threads.
i feel that Japan has more price points available for each budget than other 1st world countries

Daily budget
roberto99, Kannai and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Tor Christensen
Next June or July. Thanks!
Don't go to Japan in the summer, it is so hot and muggy. Wait until after the Olympics and go in late September or October. Japan will be less crowded and much more comfortable for walking around and if the Olympics will have been held the prices will be lower. It is never a wise time to go to an Olympic hosting country right before the games. Always go after.
Kannai and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by susiesan
Don't go to Japan in the summer, it is so hot and muggy. Wait until after the Olympics and go in late September or October. Japan will be less crowded and much more comfortable for walking around and if the Olympics will have been held the prices will be lower. It is never a wise time to go to an Olympic hosting country right before the games. Always go after.
Agreed - if you can avoid the summer, do so unless you really like to sweat.
Kannai likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 5:15 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by cfischer
if your idea of visiting Japan is eating ramen and staying capsule hotels, yes, you can do it on the cheap. Maybe I’m old fashioned but when I’m doing the grade tour in Japan it includes nice hotels, experiencing the Shinkansen, covering historical sites on all 4 islands and above all enjoying the incredibly diverse range of food including a genuine Kaiseki dining experience, not to be missed. It’s not cheap but it’s glorious.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
if your idea of visiting Japan is eating ramen and staying capsule hotels, yes, you can do it on the cheap. Maybe I’m old fashioned but when I’m doing the grade tour in Japan it includes nice hotels, experiencing the Shinkansen, covering historical sites on all 4 islands and above all enjoying the incredibly diverse range of food including a genuine Kaiseki dining experience, not to be missed. It’s not cheap but it’s glorious.
Shinkansen - cheap via rail pass
Stay at 4*/5* hotels - $150 per night with some advance planning and flexibility
Dining at Michelin * restaurants - not more expensive than elsewhere in the world ...

so I disagree with you But anyway, this is about flying to Japan, so we should get back to that.
Kannai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.