Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS2021 news:present GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
We've taken some time to think about our invitation-only Global Services® program and how to make it more rewarding for our most valued members. Although Global Services invitations are not subject to fixed annual requirements, it’s clear that basing 2021 Global Services® program invitations off of 2020 travel activity wouldn't fairly reward loyalty to United. For this reason, we're pleased to offer some certainty during these uncertain times; members that earned their Global Services status based off of 2019 flying activity will have theirGlobal Services status extended to January 31, 2022.

We've also taken time to review the benefits of our invitation-only program and are pleased to announce a brand-new level of comfort that will make time spent at the airport even better. Starting in January 2021, we'll welcome Global Services members traveling on domestic flights to United Club locations throughout our network. Global Services members already have United Club access when flying internationally on United or a Star Alliance™ member airline, so this new benefit means you can enjoy any of our United Club locations when traveling on United flights. More details can be found in today’s email to Global Services members, and full details on the upcoming United Club benefit will be shared later in the year.
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
They just sent out the new lounge benefit email. See below.
​​​​
Print Wikipost

GS2021 news:present GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
My ORIGINAL question was in a different thread and cross posted here......here is my original question:

UA Insider: Is the current plan to have GS invites start to go out in Dec 2021-Jan 2022 based on 2021 spend levels - I realize this is subject to change, I mean as of right now

I am not sure how you can interpret that to mean 2020 spend levels, but I guess it is possible.......
Agree that is a clear question, it just wasn't the one that was responded to and unknown if the connection was made to the other "separate" question (would not be the first time a response only responded to the last post and not the earlier posts on the sequence). And it is not surprising, given the history of UA not discussing GS futures in public forums, the first post was not responded to.

And as the only actual response to a GS question, restating a public announcement, the response was moved to the GS thread which has long been recognized as a separate invited program.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 15, 2020 at 9:48 pm Reason: rephrased
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Agree that is a clear question, it just wasn't the one that was responded to and unknown if the connection was made to the other "separate" question. And not surprising, given the history of UA not discussing GS futures in public forums, it was not responded to.

And as the only actual response to a GS question, restating a public announcement, the response was moved to the GS thread which has long been recognized as a separate invited program.
UA insuder responded to me directly - that was the quote that was transferred here - so it looked like that answer was given to a different question - I didn't cross post it, but whomever did cross posted it to a similar question, hence the confusion

All in all, unless you read both threads and followed it closely, it looks like the reply to me was from a different question, but it wasn't.

My question was clear and ua insider clearly either misread the question and answered like I said 2020 or deliberately dodged the question by reforming his answer in the form of 2020
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 9:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The post that was responded to is fully encapsulated in the moved post.

UA has consistently declined to public speculate on the GS program.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:57 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA has consistently declined to public speculate on the GS program.
They fuel speculation with little statements here and there-- they consistently decline to comment on the actual criteria for the program.

From the vague statements they do make, one can glean that it is for a subset of high-value flyers. Exactly what constitutes a high-value flyer can be measured in different ways and changes from year to year based on everyone's travel; everything is relative. The notion that "the requirements of the program are changing" seems strange-- the requirements are and have always the same: that one be a high-value flyer. What exactly constitutes a high-vale flyer is relative to every other flyer and changes a lot in a year when everyone flies much less, like when a pandemic hits; United isn't going to quantify that just like they don't quantify it any other year.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Sure...
Hmm, maybe you didn't understand why i asked the question......
I knew he wasn't going to say - oh yeah, i almost forgot, we are extending you to 2023, nor was I expecting them to say something concrete
I was hoping they would say, we are aware and we will have a statement here soon

The fact that they avoided the question entirely speaks volumes about their thought process

It was a probing type question, you interpret the answer or the avoidance of the question, in any way you want -
I mean the fact is in a normal year I would imagine they don't finalize the spend threshold and invite numbers until end of year as they evaluate the invite pool and re-qualifications. So in a normal year for 2022 status that would be decided end of 2021. They invite people mid-year only on an exception basis when you spend more than any threshold they would come up with in existing program constructs, not because they know the next year threshold.

So certainly in current times when there is no way to predict travel demand in 6 months much less by end of next year, how would they have any updates on 2022 status thresholds for GS? If all you're looking for is an update along the lines of "we will evaluate in-year 2021 spend and determine a cutoff threshold at the end of the year which will be unpublished just like any other year" I don't think you need any further confirmation beyond just assuming this as the status quo approach. If they decide to change it in a meaningful way worth explaining I would expect them to communicate it once decided. Not sure what else there is to hypothesize about or expect to be communicated in the meantime? I would not expect to ever hear a communication around a lowered spend threshold, simply because I don't think they would know what it is. So if you usually use ~$50k as your normal target and are wondering what next year will be, I think you (and all of us) will have to keep guessing.
cesco.g and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Sure...
Hmm, maybe you didn't understand why i asked the question......
I knew he wasn't going to say - oh yeah, i almost forgot, we are extending you to 2023, nor was I expecting them to say something concrete
I was hoping they would say, we are aware and we will have a statement here soon

The fact that they avoided the question entirely speaks volumes about their thought process

It was a probing type question, you interpret the answer or the avoidance of the question, in any way you want -
My suggestion is that on the basis of how & when they made their announcment about 2021 GS status and the absence of any "pre-announcement" letting current GSs know when they were gonna decide, it most likely doesn't make any sense to read anything at all into how they respond to, or avoid, questions now about 2022 GS status.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: United Airlines
Does anyone care to speculate on what the $$ threshold will be this year for Global Services?

I am not sure if they will drop it (from whatever it currently is) to a new lower level (due to Covid).

Insight is always welcomed!!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by ssaami
Does anyone care to speculate on what the $$ threshold will be this year for Global Services?

I am not sure if they will drop it (from whatever it currently is) to a new lower level (due to Covid).

Impossible to even venture a guess that would have any meaning. Will certainly be very interesting to follow the GS qualification thread this year!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA GS

40K but I bet there will be a couple in the 30K-40K range
Old Dec 29, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I will end the year with 138 flight segments. It was hard to get the spend anywhere near normal, despite flying quite a bit, as there were periods when the prices were way below normal. I too wonder if they will make some adjustments where I could "sneak" into this status.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by donjo
I will end the year with 138 flight segments. It was hard to get the spend anywhere near normal, despite flying quite a bit, as there were periods when the prices were way below normal. I too wonder if they will make some adjustments where I could "sneak" into this status.
What was your total spend on UA/UX-operated flights?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
What was your total spend on UA/UX-operated flights?
About 20k
Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM

If you desire GS in 2021, I suggest you call or email Pass Plus. You may find that cold hard cash gets you GS for a lot less than some might speculate. And the program allows funds to be used for a companion as long as you are both on the same record. With Club access granted to GS members effective tomorrow you get a little added bonus if you sign up.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by dkc715
And the program allows funds to be used for a companion as long as you are both on the same record.
Is this a recent change?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by jsl42
Is this a recent change?
No. I believe it went into affect no later than mid 2019 and maybe a bit before. The info on the program on FT is quite stale (including the wiki), but it is my understanding that all individual flex contracts allow bookings for the member and one companion (and the companion can change with each ticket). Program is great if you still are traveling.

Last edited by dkc715; Dec 31, 2020 at 4:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.