Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS2021 news:present GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
We've taken some time to think about our invitation-only Global Services® program and how to make it more rewarding for our most valued members. Although Global Services invitations are not subject to fixed annual requirements, it’s clear that basing 2021 Global Services® program invitations off of 2020 travel activity wouldn't fairly reward loyalty to United. For this reason, we're pleased to offer some certainty during these uncertain times; members that earned their Global Services status based off of 2019 flying activity will have theirGlobal Services status extended to January 31, 2022.

We've also taken time to review the benefits of our invitation-only program and are pleased to announce a brand-new level of comfort that will make time spent at the airport even better. Starting in January 2021, we'll welcome Global Services members traveling on domestic flights to United Club locations throughout our network. Global Services members already have United Club access when flying internationally on United or a Star Alliance™ member airline, so this new benefit means you can enjoy any of our United Club locations when traveling on United flights. More details can be found in today’s email to Global Services members, and full details on the upcoming United Club benefit will be shared later in the year.
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
They just sent out the new lounge benefit email. See below.
​​​​
Print Wikipost

GS2021 news:present GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by cesco.g
IMHO, a strong sign that GS are simply not showing up for UA flights!
Flying paid overseas business: why would you? given scorched inflight service that's left??
Honestly service is probably near the bottom of the list of reasons why GS aren't flying. Sure there may be a few folks who have discretionary control of travel or pay for business class for leisure, but far and away the majority of spend was driven by business travel. Many major companies, including consulting firms aren't bringing back business travel in 2020. Beyond that, given the number of international travel restrictions, if you're traveling overseas (aside from Turkey, Mexico and a few other places), you're committing to a 14 day quarantine if you're allowed in at all which is a high bar for any business trip and assumes you're probably spending at least a month there to make it worth it vs. doing trips back and forth. Spending is definitely not down because of service though...
uanj likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
Honestly service is probably near the bottom of the list of reasons why GS aren't flying. Sure there may be a few folks who have discretionary control of travel or pay for business class for leisure, but far and away the majority of spend was driven by business travel. Many major companies, including consulting firms aren't bringing back business travel in 2020. Beyond that, given the number of international travel restrictions, if you're traveling overseas (aside from Turkey, Mexico and a few other places), you're committing to a 14 day quarantine if you're allowed in at all which is a high bar for any business trip and assumes you're probably spending at least a month there to make it worth it vs. doing trips back and forth. Spending is definitely not down because of service though...
This sounds right to me. I suspect that service cuts are decreasing UA revenue from GS flyers much less than they are decreasing costs, at least right now. This curve could only possibly invert when business and high-end lesiure flying picks up a lot!
Old Oct 30, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
Originally Posted by njs281
NOPE! Didn't get mine either and I have my status via PassPlus. Let me know if you learn anything...I emailed them and they have yet to respond...
Originally Posted by jrad99
Would “earned” status include Passplus customers that received a GS nomination for large corporate deposits with United?

I haven’t gotten an email extending mine 😬

Did you ever hear anything back? I'm in the same boat, and since the world is shut down I really didn't get much value out of my status on this contract cycle. Seems like the right thing to do to extend us, we did drop significant amounts of money to earn the status in the first place!

Last edited by BOISJC744; Oct 30, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by BOISJC744
Did you ever hear anything back? I'm in the same boat, and since the world is shut down I really didn't get much value out of my status on this contract cycle. Seems like the right thing to do to extend us, we did drop significant amounts of money to earn the status in the first place!
I had a nomination to GS in 2020 from re-upping to Pass Plus in late 2019. I nominated a family member (I made GS on my own) and it went largely unused, although he was able to burn his points for others. Last month, I thought I made a compelling case to have the family member's status extended through 2021. Flatly rejected by UA sales, with the head of UA sales cc'd on the rejection. YMMV, but don't get your hopes up.

My family member will make a soft landing from GS to GM on 2/1/21! Could be a first to make that kind of drop. Would have been interesting applying his June 2021 points to upgrade in February. I suspect the points would be the very last to clear into PZ. He could have been the only GM to ever have upgrade points.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
With reports of some UC's already being quite full, does this mean that more UC's will be opening back up to accommodate the additional GS members? (or PL to shift J customers from UC)
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador
I spoke with someone in LAX who said in 2021 GS flying domestic would have lounge access

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
I am assuming one still needs 12K PQP / 9k PQP with requisite segments to receive the annual PlusPoints stash, despite the GS extension?
Yes I got my PlusPoints when I hit the 9k PQP but won't receive any additional until 21k PQP

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 30, 2020 at 11:39 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
Old Nov 12, 2020, 1:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As previous announced and reconfirmed in MileagePlus Status Easier to Earn for 2022: ↓ PQP Levels, PQP Grant, Q1-21 PQP Bonus

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
My spend is down a bit, but I already comfortably requaled 1K on PQP alone - I am more worried about GS requal

Personal travel is down a bit - but it was never very high anyway - 80% of it is award travel
Hi hipplewm, appreciate the question. We extended all earned 2020 Global Services members through January 2022. We will still be adding some select members that have demonstrated exceptional value in 2020, and those invites will go out in mid-January..
Old Nov 12, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
I think hipplewrm is asking about 2022 GS qualification requirements- which UA Insider either missed - or avoided.

And I’d like to know same!
Old Nov 12, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
I think hipplewrm is asking about 2022 GS qualification requirements- which UA Insider either missed - or avoided.

And I’d like to know same!
Yeah, he completely avoided my question - I meant flying in 2021 for invites in dec 2021 and jan 2022 - as everyone has status thru next year pretty much already

I thought the question was relelvant as it is the same dates of the new requirements they put out today for 2021 - status in 2022
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS
Yeah, he completely avoided my question - I meant flying in 2021 for invites in dec 2021 and jan 2022 - as everyone has status thru next year pretty much already

I thought the question was relelvant as it is the same dates of the new requirements they put out today for 2021 - status in 2022
They never reveal GS qualification requirements, and it's a lot to ask that GS will be automatically extended, this early. Hopefully, GS requirements will be lowered, as it's still quite unlikely for most people to be traveling at a high level before mid-year 2021.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by villox
They never reveal GS qualification requirements, and it's a lot to ask that GS will be automatically extended, this early. Hopefully, GS requirements will be lowered, as it's still quite unlikely for most people to be traveling at a high level before mid-year 2021.
I was more hoping for something along the lines of "We are looking at it and will make a statement sometime soon" or "We aren't planning any changes at this time and will send out invitation in dec 2021 and Jan 2022 like normal" I realize that they don't have a crystal ball, but they certainly have had time to think about it.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I was more hoping for something along the lines of "We are looking at it and will make a statement sometime soon" or "We aren't planning any changes at this time and will send out invitation in dec 2021 and Jan 2022 like normal" I realize that they don't have a crystal ball, but they certainly have had time to think about it.
The answer almost certainly is that they don't know what they're gonna do, nor do they know when they are gonna decide, nor do they know when they are gonna make an announcement. Based on how they handled the announcement to GS members regarding 2021, there is every expectation that they aren't gonna say anything until they make a final decision.
n8-the-gr8 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
The answer almost certainly is that they don't know what they're gonna do, nor do they know when they are gonna decide, nor do they know when they are gonna make an announcement. Based on how they handled the announcement to GS members regarding 2021, there is every expectation that they aren't gonna say anything until they make a final decision.
Sure...
Hmm, maybe you didn't understand why i asked the question......
I knew he wasn't going to say - oh yeah, i almost forgot, we are extending you to 2023, nor was I expecting them to say something concrete
I was hoping they would say, we are aware and we will have a statement here soon

The fact that they avoided the question entirely speaks volumes about their thought process

It was a probing type question, you interpret the answer or the avoidance of the question, in any way you want -
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 4:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sure...
Hmm, maybe you didn't understand why i asked the question......
I knew he wasn't going to say - oh yeah, i almost forgot, we are extending you to 2023, nor was I expecting them to say something concrete
I was hoping they would say, we are aware and we will have a statement here soon

The fact that they avoided the question entirely speaks volumes about their thought process

It was a probing type question, you interpret the answer or the avoidance of the question, in any way you want -
Rereading your question, it was not entirely clear to this reader which year you were asking about. You seem to be referring to your 2020 spend so a natural inference is you were worried about your 2021 status and might not have been aware GS status was extended thru 2021.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Rereading your question, it was not entirely clear to this reader which year you were asking about. You seem to be referring to your 2020 spend so a natural inference is you were worried about your 2021 status and might not have been aware GS status was extended thru 2021.

My ORIGINAL question was in a different thread and cross posted here......here is my original question:

UA Insider: Is the current plan to have GS invites start to go out in Dec 2021-Jan 2022 based on 2021 spend levels - I realize this is subject to change, I mean as of right now

I am not sure how you can interpret that to mean 2020 spend levels, but I guess it is possible.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.