Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS2021 news:present GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
We've taken some time to think about our invitation-only Global Services® program and how to make it more rewarding for our most valued members. Although Global Services invitations are not subject to fixed annual requirements, it’s clear that basing 2021 Global Services® program invitations off of 2020 travel activity wouldn't fairly reward loyalty to United. For this reason, we're pleased to offer some certainty during these uncertain times; members that earned their Global Services status based off of 2019 flying activity will have theirGlobal Services status extended to January 31, 2022.

We've also taken time to review the benefits of our invitation-only program and are pleased to announce a brand-new level of comfort that will make time spent at the airport even better. Starting in January 2021, we'll welcome Global Services members traveling on domestic flights to United Club locations throughout our network. Global Services members already have United Club access when flying internationally on United or a Star Alliance™ member airline, so this new benefit means you can enjoy any of our United Club locations when traveling on United flights. More details can be found in today’s email to Global Services members, and full details on the upcoming United Club benefit will be shared later in the year.
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
They just sent out the new lounge benefit email. See below.
​​​​
Print Wikipost

GS2021 news:present GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I would not assume that.

Although more than half of the GS I know don't have United Club memberships, I don't feel comfortable making a statement (even with disclaimer based on my sample size) .
You have to also realize that all of the corporate GS will have united club memberships because the United club memberships will be given to the highest volume travelers.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
This was the thinking of my "gut" post from above. It makes sense for the near term, as IME the UC's have been empty (well flying in general too). Since they are so underutilized, it makes sense to entice GS for a while to sweeten the pot and attempt to drive more revenue. But Post recovery (looking like 2-4 years down (maybe), I see potential of overcrowding again.
Delta is doing just fine with many more diamonds who sect sky club access then there are GS
Old Aug 7, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
This was a very pleasant surprise this week. Thanks, UA!
I haven't been on a plane since March 1. Hope to be back soon.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was beginning to wonder if 6 basic economy segments with family and no business travel this year would mean the end of GS...
Old Aug 7, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
Delta is doing just fine with many more diamonds who sect sky club access then there are GS
Except the Skyclub model has two distinctly different membership options, so those with the individual membership are not able to bring guests = less overcrowding.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
This is great. Much appreciated. Now I hope that Europe and Hawai'i open up ...
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Except the Skyclub model has two distinctly different membership options, so those with the individual membership are not able to bring guests = less overcrowding.
I think all the delta one customers offset that
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
It will be interesting to see who gets GS this year, and based on what spend. I would be very surprised if the same thresholds are kept...is there someone who was not GS before who would be spending $40-50k on airfare these days (especially given how cheap it is)?
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
It will be interesting to see who gets GS this year, and based on what spend. I would be very surprised if the same thresholds are kept...is there someone who was not GS before who would be spending $40-50k on airfare these days (especially given how cheap it is)?
SFO-NRT-SFO 10AUG-13AUG runs $8K in biz. ORD-LHR-ORD 17AUG-19AUG runs $6K.
EWR-FRA-EWR 24AUG-26AUG runs $4K.

That is on the cheap side as these fares tended to run $6-12K preCovid.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 10:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
Overcrowding of Sky Clubs seemed to be a common topic at the Delta Forum pre COVID.

I can see United changing to this model in the future. Regular membership, no guest. Executive membership at higher rate needed to bring in guests.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
FTers are more likely to take advantage of airlines benefits than other fliers of the same status level who are not on FT. Most GS I know are unaware of FT, do not have UC memberships and do not especially care if they have it or not. They may fly a lot but they do not spend any more time than necessary in the airport. Those of us on FT may be influencers but we are not representative of the general flying population.

I think this is a very smart move by UA and I doubt it will have a major impact on club crowding. Nice gesture which will not cost UA a lot. If any GS were that interested in membership he/she would already have it some other way.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
I am assuming one still needs 12K PQP / 9k PQP with requisite segments to receive the annual PlusPoints stash, despite the GS extension?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
I just checked my e-card on the app and the expiration is 1/22 but my 1MM companion Is still showing 1/21 Any idea if 1MM companion GS will be extended if the primary GS was not earned the hard way?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by lakid
I just checked my e-card on the app and the expiration is 1/22 but my 1MM companion Is still showing 1/21 Any idea if 1MM companion GS will be extended if the primary GS was not earned the hard way?
Companion extensions are not done until the end of the year, because you have the opportunity to change your companion until November.
SPN Lifer and meducate like this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UA is offering GS challenge for $12k to select 1Ks:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.