Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS2021 news:present GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
We've taken some time to think about our invitation-only Global Services® program and how to make it more rewarding for our most valued members. Although Global Services invitations are not subject to fixed annual requirements, it’s clear that basing 2021 Global Services® program invitations off of 2020 travel activity wouldn't fairly reward loyalty to United. For this reason, we're pleased to offer some certainty during these uncertain times; members that earned their Global Services status based off of 2019 flying activity will have theirGlobal Services status extended to January 31, 2022.

We've also taken time to review the benefits of our invitation-only program and are pleased to announce a brand-new level of comfort that will make time spent at the airport even better. Starting in January 2021, we'll welcome Global Services members traveling on domestic flights to United Club locations throughout our network. Global Services members already have United Club access when flying internationally on United or a Star Alliance™ member airline, so this new benefit means you can enjoy any of our United Club locations when traveling on United flights. More details can be found in today’s email to Global Services members, and full details on the upcoming United Club benefit will be shared later in the year.
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
They just sent out the new lounge benefit email. See below.
​​​​
Print Wikipost

GS2021 news:present GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
maybe we can get some Polaris lounge passes now?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Once MileagePlus Global Services members get free United Club access in January 2021, will this significantly increase overcrowding?

Perhaps Lifetime United Club members should enjoy visits to those hubs while they can. (!)

Of course, the GS numbers pale in comparison to Chase credit-card holders, but GS members fly a whole lot more.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Once MileagePlus Global Services members get free United Club access in January 2021, will this significantly increase overcrowding?
We don't even know if the bulk of UC's will even reopen by Jan 2021 or if flying even reaches 50% of what it was a year ago. So no, I doubt any overcrowding
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer

Perhaps Lifetime United Club members should enjoy visits to those hubs while they can. (!)

Of course, the GS numbers pale in comparison to Chase credit-card holders, but GS members fly a whole lot more.
most already have united club memberships- won’t make a big difference at all.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
Now I have a 3RD qualification for access.

RCC lifetime pass purchased in the late 80's
Lifetine RCC for crossing 2 Milliom BIS
Lifetime GS
wxguy likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Now I have a 3RD qualification for access.

RCC lifetime pass purchased in the late 80's
Lifetine RCC for crossing 2 Milliom BIS
Lifetime GS
I think you are highly overqualified
rieuwa likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
most already have united club memberships- won’t make a big difference at all.
I would not assume that.

Although more than half of the GS I know don't have United Club memberships, I don't feel comfortable making a statement (even with disclaimer based on my sample size) .
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
We don't even know if the bulk of UC's will even reopen by Jan 2021 or if flying even reaches 50% of what it was a year ago. So no, I doubt any overcrowding
If this is a permanent policy then yes, eventually there will be overcrowding and a less comfortable experience for everyone, not to mention a flood of entitled behavior. Of course, United never gives without taking something away, so I would assume the super-secret thresholds for GS selection will mysteriously rise, then once the free ride proffered in this thread ends, the rolls will be significantly purged, so I will put aside one bag of popcorn to await the inevitable "what happened to my GS status" thread.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice to see you back, UA Insider!
wxguy likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 1:04 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
It's funny that you need GS status to get UC access on domestic itins (even paid F), or just *G on a foreign carrier which can probably be achieved for a couple of $K USD and some planning.

I've been using UCs since they were called RCCs for free, even when I used to fly Y!
​​​
Old Aug 7, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by HNL1K
I think you are highly overqualified
I guess that qualifies you to bring in 6 guests!
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If this is a permanent policy then yes, eventually there will be overcrowding and a less comfortable experience for everyone, not to mention a flood of entitled behavior. Of course, United never gives without taking something away, so I would assume the super-secret thresholds for GS selection will mysteriously rise, then once the free ride proffered in this thread ends, the rolls will be significantly purged, so I will put aside one bag of popcorn to await the inevitable "what happened to my GS status" thread.
This was the thinking of my "gut" post from above. It makes sense for the near term, as IME the UC's have been empty (well flying in general too). Since they are so underutilized, it makes sense to entice GS for a while to sweeten the pot and attempt to drive more revenue. But Post recovery (looking like 2-4 years down (maybe), I see potential of overcrowding again.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
It's funny that you need GS status to get UC access on domestic itins (even paid F), or just *G on a foreign carrier which can probably be achieved for a couple of $K USD and some planning.

I've been using UCs since they were called RCCs for free, even when I used to fly Y!
​​​
And *G comes with a guest...
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I would not assume that.

Although more than half of the GS I know don't have United Club memberships, I don't feel comfortable making a statement (even with disclaimer based on my sample size) .
Are those Road warrior GS, or the "VIP" type?

Admittedly, I've thought of dropping UC membership because most of my travel was international (so I got in anyway, and mostly was in polaris lounge). That said, I DO enjoy the club domestically, especially when traveling with family. Seems like the new GS perk doesn't include family, so I probably will just keep my UC membership.

All moot right now due to COVID, but one can dream.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Most of the GS I know, myself included, do not have UC memberships. Speaking for myself, I mainly fly UA international business or premium transcons which already have UC included.

When I do fly domestically it’s 100% on vacation (Hawaii, the Rockies...) where I’d be bringing someone else. So the new policy of no guests for GS United Club access isn’t very helpful.

For very short trips, I’ll sometimes fly Delta - and use the Amex Plat to get lounge access. It’s also “no guests” but almost everyone I travel with has their own Amex Plat card. (I’d also add that probably every GS I know has the Amex Plat because of the 5pts/$ on airfare. If only United had a comparable premium card, I’d be all over it...)
Dyce likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.