Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to end partnership with ExpressJet, will continue with CommutAir

UA to end partnership with ExpressJet, will continue with CommutAir

Old Jul 28, 20, 9:35 am
st3
Original Poster

Programs: National Exec, UA MP, Bonvoy
United tells two regional airlines it will continue contract with just one

Didn't see anyone else post this yet. Not good news for the regionals but should maybe cut down the number of E145s long-term
Reuters link: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24T01M
Old Jul 28, 20, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Seems like a ploy to get ExpressJet to lower their costs to CommutAirís levels. Going on with the carrier that has far less E145s doesnít make much sense for a recovery down the road.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 28, 20, 10:01 am

Too bad it's not Air Wisconsin and their fleet of Devil's Chariots on the chopping block.
Old Jul 28, 20, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Too bad it's not Air Wisconsin and their fleet of Devil's Chariots on the chopping block.
Aside from the whole I hate the devils chariot too.....

But the article indicates UA has a minority interest in both EV and C5. Can someone with a better understanding of the business tell me why they do not just let ZW take this hit?
Old Jul 28, 20, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post

But the article indicates UA has a minority interest in both EV and C5. Can someone with a better understanding of the business tell me why they do not just let ZW take this hit?
I am not that someone, but I think this would be all about operating costs, which was the major appeal of ZW even in the former, better times. Driving down costs is much more important now than whatever value their minority interest has.
Old Jul 28, 20, 11:19 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Going on with the carrier that has far less E145s doesnít make much sense for a recovery down the road.
That wouldn't matter. UAL controls the airplanes. They will consolidate airplanes with the surviving carrier to achieve the fleet size that they want. The rest will be parked.

ExpressJet's disadvantage is that their workforce has significantly more longevity. They'd be more expensive even if they adopted the same pay scales as Commutair.
SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.
Old Jul 28, 20, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Lifetime: UA United Club, UA 540K mi., AA Admirals Club & Marr. Gold
CommutAir (C5) flies from EWR and IAD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CommutAir

ExpressJet (EV) has bases in ORD, CLE, DEN, IAH, TYS (Knoxville) & EWR.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressJet
Old Jul 28, 20, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
CommutAir flies from EWR and IAD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CommutAir

ExpressJet has bases in ORD, CLE, DEN, IAH, TYS (Knoxville) & EWR.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExpressJet
We've closed CLE, never opened DEN, closed TYS and haven't had any EWR flights in 3 months. ORD has like 4 departures a day. We are essentially a IAH only airline right now operating maybe 30 of 131 jets.

MGMT has indicated if we somehow survive we are going to be a much smaller airline like 40 jets probably IAH based.

My thinking is daddy UAL keeps C5 for east coast 50 seat flying, skypest and mesa grow in IAH, AW and g7 absorb any remaining 50 seat lift in ORD. XJT gets shuttered and the 145XR's get transfered to C5 the 145LR's get parked in the desert.
Auto Enthusiast and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by Falconkidding; Jul 28, 20 at 11:33 am
Old Jul 28, 20, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post

I'm no expert either, but ZW is a contract or fee for departure in which UA and ZW came to an agreement for a certain amount of aircraft for certain number of years. It also may be because ZW owns its own airplanes. This contract is hard to break. C5 and EV are partially owned by United, meaning they have a lot more control over them and their aircraft. United probably owns many of their aircraft too. I'm not sure how many though. In the end its a whipsaw between two subsidiaries to undercut each other in costs. It sucks for the employees. They could be bluffing just to cut costs. Perhaps they could merge, or one could just be shut down anyway. I doubt a merger would make sense in this economy though.
Old Jul 28, 20, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
That wouldn't matter. UAL controls the airplanes. They will consolidate airplanes with the surviving carrier to achieve the fleet size that they want. The rest will be parked.
Yes, and probably a lot more airplanes parked (and jobs lost) than will move from one subsidiary to the other. The economics of unsubsidized 50-seat markets are probably of no interest to the majors, and the aging ERJ/CRJ fleet is only becoming more costly to maintain. By the same token, the "schedule depth" the 50-seaters provided in larger markets is of little consequence now with dramatically reduced business travel.

Rough days ahead... this industry has always been cyclical, and anyone who thought lean years wouldn't come back at some point is ignoring history, but something like this would have been unfathomable just a few months ago.
Old Jul 29, 20, 6:39 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
I know the CRJ-200 is not popular with passengers, but Air Wisconsin does have some excellent pilots. I've flown with a few, and each one was well above average.So while the aircraft may be torture, the folks flying them are pretty good.
Old Jul 29, 20, 7:12 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Plat w/Lifetime Gold, Hilton LT ♢, National Exec, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by 757FO View Post
I know the CRJ-200 is not popular with passengers, but Air Wisconsin does have some excellent pilots. I've flown with a few, and each one was well above average.So while the aircraft may be torture, the folks flying them are pretty good.
Yet to have a truly 'bad pilot' myself. I'm a big fan of all of them, like you! Even if they are twice as safe (like an AW with a 99.999999% chance of getting me there safely versus any. other. aircraft at 99.999995%), I'll take my chances on the latter.

Signed,

The Guy Whose Home Airport Has Been Nothing But Scheduled CRJ-200 Service Since 2001, and Close to 700 Lifetime Segments On It
rch4u, wavid, 757FO and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 20, 7:28 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
Yet to have a truly 'bad pilot' myself. I'm a big fan of all of them, like you! Even if they are twice as safe (like an AW with a 99.999999% chance of getting me there safely versus any. other. aircraft at 99.999995%), I'll take my chances on the latter.

Signed,

The Guy Whose Home Airport Has Been Nothing But Scheduled CRJ-200 Service Since 2001, and Close to 700 Lifetime Segments On It
Lol...

You would be surprised how often I come across someone who is below average. They get weeded out pretty fast, but there are a few that I still wonder how they made it... But to your point. it is still the safest way to travel!
EWR764 and MBS MillionMiler like this.

Last edited by 757FO; Jul 29, 20 at 7:28 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 29, 20, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I think there were some Colgan pilots a few years back that were quite substandard...

Either way, regional flying is relatively high cost and in many ways its not UA's problem in that they aren't responsible for the headcount. Its not like if they go Ch11/7 the planes get chopped up, and they execute the pilots! In a couple years, they'll re-form and keep on going.
Old Jul 30, 20, 6:44 pm

Welp I had a good 18 months here enjoyed having you guys in the back of our lil jet. Time to join the 1000s of other pilots trying for the same 50 charter and corporate jobs. Guess it just goes to show when it comes down to it performance, experience and capability doesn't matter only who can do it cheap. 33 years of service for CAL and UAL tossed away.

Expected but still frustrating to put so much time and money into getting into the industry only to run into a brick wall of no jobs for a long time.

Good times. Flying with my Houston crews. Wish you guys could see how we operate up front but i'll say its been the most professional, fun, and dedicated group of pilots i've worked with in my short career.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: