Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to end partnership with ExpressJet, will continue with CommutAir

UA to end partnership with ExpressJet, will continue with CommutAir

Old Jul 31, 20, 3:24 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
What is UA going to do with all of the CRJ 550s that they just reconfigured? GoJet is the only operator of those is my understanding.
Those could end up at any crj2/7/9 operator with minimal issues and would be an easy add to any of their certificates so their easy to move if that's the plan.
sunnn is offline  
Old Jul 31, 20, 3:35 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: RIC
Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Posts: 3,034
Originally Posted by wahooflyer View Post
From a comfort perspective, though, I won't miss the E145s. ExpressJet used to fly RIC-IAH (which often pushed close to 4 hours gate-to-gate in the winter) on the 145 which was painful for tall guys like me...
ERJ-145 for RIC-IAH was the worst possible flight from RIC, so I would take a connection and extra flying just to avoid this nonstop.
wahooflyer and rch4u like this.
CIT85 is offline  
Old Jul 31, 20, 7:10 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 538
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
What is UA going to do with all of the CRJ 550s that they just reconfigured? GoJet is the only operator of those is my understanding.
Sounds like they might go to Mesa or Skywest. The two sister airlines to GoJet already shut down.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Jul 31, 20 at 7:21 pm
DLASflyer is offline  
Old Jul 31, 20, 8:49 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by saxman66 View Post
I'm no expert either, but ZW is a contract or fee for departure in which UA and ZW came to an agreement for a certain amount of aircraft for certain number of years. It also may be because ZW owns its own airplanes. This contract is hard to break. C5 and EV are partially owned by United, meaning they have a lot more control over them and their aircraft. United probably owns many of their aircraft too. I'm not sure how many though. In the end its a whipsaw between two subsidiaries to undercut each other in costs. It sucks for the employees. They could be bluffing just to cut costs. Perhaps they could merge, or one could just be shut down anyway. I doubt a merger would make sense in this economy though.
Generally, the contracts with wholly-owned regionals is a lot weaker than with outside contractors often they don't have requirements and durations attached to them meaning that when time gets bad a lot of wholly-owned regionals get wholly screwed but when times are better they usually grow by underbidding other people due to the extent of cost efficiencies that they can generate sharing protocols and whatnot with mainline and when pilots are in short supply it's often easier to grow an owned regional due to things like flow or CCP which can attract pilots with no additional cost and reduce the seniority of the workforce making them, even more, cost-effective. But those advantages go away when mainline isn't hiring and you need to pay the contractors either way so that weak contract is often the easiest way out of the situation

Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Sounds like they might go to Mesa or Skywest. The two sister airlines to GoJet already shut down.
Mesa, Skywest, Air Wisconsin, are all going to be crawling all over each other to win that flying especially air Wisconsin and mesa who are at risk of losing some/all of their current flying
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 31, 20 at 10:21 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
sunnn is offline  
Old Jul 31, 20, 8:58 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 7,693
Originally Posted by sunnn View Post
Mesa, Skywest, Air Wisconsin, are all going to be crawling all over each other to win that flying especially air Wisconsin and mesa who are at risk of losing some/all of their current flying
Probably for competitionís sake that UA utilizes someone other than SkyWest, although maybe it wouldnít be a bad idea further consolidating UAX flying.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Jul 31, 20, 9:08 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Sounds like they might go to Mesa or Skywest. The two sister airlines to GoJet already shut down.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Probably for competitionís sake that UA utilizes someone other than SkyWest, although maybe it wouldnít be a bad idea further consolidating UAX flying.
The rule is simple always make sure their are two potential operators for every aircraft
SPN Lifer likes this.
sunnn is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 1:09 am
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 10,280
Is ExpressJet even able to survive?
cesco.g is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 2:07 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by cesco.g View Post
Is ExpressJet even able to survive?
They have no planes, no customers, and pilots are dime a dozen these days so no there dead and buried at this point
sunnn is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 6:11 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 7,693
Originally Posted by sunnn View Post
They have no planes, no customers, and pilots are dime a dozen these days so no there dead and buried at this point
Don't they have more E145s than CommutAir? Is it possible UA provides some cash for some of those aircraft to be moved over, or is the 50-seat fleet going to be downsized by that much?
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 12:24 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Posts: 6,845
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Don't they have more E145s than CommutAir? Is it possible UA provides some cash for some of those aircraft to be moved over, or is the 50-seat fleet going to be downsized by that much?
United controls the aircraft.
LarryJ is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 12:24 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Don't they have more E145s than CommutAir? Is it possible UA provides some cash for some of those aircraft to be moved over, or is the 50-seat fleet going to be downsized by that much?
United owns those aircraft not expressjet so they can be moved at will the best of EV frames will be moved over
sunnn is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 5:12 pm
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG
Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Posts: 12,049
Originally Posted by sunnn View Post
They have no planes, no customers, and pilots are dime a dozen these days so no there dead and buried at this point
doesnít ExpressJet at least have some of their own aircraft? Or at least, used to?

At one point in history, Iím thinking maybe 8-12 years or so ago, I thought they tried starting some flights on their own, both operating and marketing them themselves. Donít think it lasted long. I in fact remember getting on a UAX flight on an E145 operated by ExpressJet. I believe this was probably pre-merger UA when they started contracting with them on limited number of flights. I remember sitting down and thinking it was weird there a headphone jack and the old style audio channels - donít think it worked, but did exist. Perhaps theyíve sold those aircraft by now, but at one point...

Also wonder what happens to the E175SC that ExpressJet operates? I presume those are UA-owned too? Do those go over to Mesa (who I think also Operates the E175SC)? Or might SlyWest get some of those (I know they operate the 175s for UA, but donít believe they at least currently fly the premium SC version). Or maybe to the dessert For now? Or a combo? IIRC, the SCs are also new builds, right, so they are only a couple or so years old, as opposed to the CR5s which are older frames that were CR7s and just re-configured inside.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 5:46 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
doesnít ExpressJet at least have some of their own aircraft? Or at least, used to?

At one point in history, Iím thinking maybe 8-12 years or so ago, I thought they tried starting some flights on their own, both operating and marketing them themselves. Donít think it lasted long. I in fact remember getting on a UAX flight on an E145 operated by ExpressJet. I believe this was probably pre-merger UA when they started contracting with them on limited number of flights. I remember sitting down and thinking it was weird there a headphone jack and the old style audio channels - donít think it worked, but did exist. Perhaps theyíve sold those aircraft by now, but at one point...

Also wonder what happens to the E175SC that ExpressJet operates? I presume those are UA-owned too? Do those go over to Mesa (who I think also Operates the E175SC)? Or might SlyWest get some of those (I know they operate the 175s for UA, but donít believe they at least currently fly the premium SC version). Or maybe to the dessert For now? Or a combo? IIRC, the SCs are also new builds, right, so they are only a couple or so years old, as opposed to the CR5s which are older frames that were CR7s and just re-configured inside.
Those were moved onto skywest about 6 months ago and the thing was ExpressJet leased aircraft from united and had a separate Capacity purchase agreement (CPA) with united agreeing to operate those aircraft for united when united demanded reductions in rate to keep aircraft on a portion of the expiring CPA they refused and because the aircraft leases were tied to that portion expiring kept the aircraft to run their own branded operation. Since then the majors tied the aircraft to the CPA preventing something like that from happening again.
sunnn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: