Search

Tax free in IAH

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBD , FBG
Tax free in IAH

Hi,

Has anyone been to IAH lately and can confirm whether or not there are any tax-free shops open, which sells alcohol (preferably red wine)
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I was in IAH in June and yes the duty free store was open. I actually purchased some items - very few shoppers and few assistants in the store.

I do not remember the terminal but it was the United terminal (although there are a couple). It is the one in the terminal with the Polaris lounge (currently closed).
Old Jul 27, 2020, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EBD , FBG
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I was in IAH in June and yes the duty free store was open. I actually purchased some items - very few shoppers and few assistants in the store.

I do not remember the terminal but it was the United terminal (although there are a couple). It is the one in the terminal with the Polaris lounge (currently closed).

Thank you
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: HH Dia, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
There are a few duty free stores open In IAH.

One store is in Terminal B (this terminal is used for United Express) and the other store is in Term E between gate E1 and E10.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kleffen
Has anyone been to IAH lately and can confirm whether or not there are any tax-free shops open, which sells alcohol (preferably red wine)
I don't know about IAH duty free. However, I have checked prices on red wine in many duty free stores around the world. Duty on wine in the US is low, so duty free does not offer any cost reduction. Prices in US duty free stores for wine tend to be significantly higher than in the market. Expensive wines get outrageously priced. Duty fee does not mean lower mark up. This is especially the case for SFO, closest international gateway to Napa and Sonoma Valley.

If you are spending time in any major US city, I would check out stores like Total Wine for selection and reasonable prices. The best prices are at Costco, and best selection of all Costco stores is the one near Sonoma Valley.
SPN Lifer and Miggles like this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CIT85
I don't know about IAH duty free. However, I have checked prices on red wine in many duty free stores around the world. Duty on wine in the US is low, so duty free does not offer any cost reduction. Prices in US duty free stores for wine tend to be significantly higher than in the market. Expensive wines get outrageously priced. Duty fee does not mean lower mark up. This is especially the case for SFO, closest international gateway to Napa and Sonoma Valley.

If you are spending time in any major US city, I would check out stores like Total Wine for selection and reasonable prices. The best prices are at Costco, and best selection of all Costco stores is the one near Sonoma Valley.
Though you're correct, then there is the hassle and potential breakage issue of checking it in. Vino Volo and/or Duty Free are pretty much the only way around this, unless you're in an awesome airport like PDX, which doesn't allow major markups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.