Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why not use rear exit/stairs for aircraft deplaning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why not use rear exit/stairs for aircraft deplaning?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: united,; american; dellta;alaska
Why is the Rear Exit of the Airplane Generally Not Used By Passengers in the United S

Stairs can be difficult to navigate and dangerous for the elderly aside from all other issues mentioned in this post.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dllloyd
Stairs can be difficult to navigate ...
Especially with one (or two) carry-ons
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I do think it's sort of funny that every other country in the world seems to have no problem using airstairs and multiple entry/exit doors yet we in the US are unable to cope with it. I'd love to see the reaction of passengers if they start boarding the upper deck of A380s with airstairs, better have the AED ready at the top for some folks.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I don't think I've ever flown on an MD-80, but I remember well from childhood the tail stairs on the DC-9 and the BAC 1-11. The smell of Avgas was horrible and I hated those stairs. This issue doesn't seem to apply on 737s and 320s, or maybe we are just further from the engine exhausts.
Probably wouldn't get too far if they were pumping Avgas into a DC-9 or 1-11.

I'm pretty sure I've deplaned via the rear stairs on DC-9s, MD-80s, and 727s. I don't recall ever having markedly negative feelings about it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by rickg523
Front and rear door access - on and off - is SOP at BUR where there are no jetbridges. Standard stairs at the rear door and a ramp affair in front. They can turn around flights in 20 minutes. Ironically, worst seats on the plane for getting out are the midplane exit rows.
Same goes for LGB. Small airports with no jet bridges. It's great!
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: QFF, American, Velocity, Virgin America
Brisbane!

Originally Posted by trooper
Where? Must be very airport dependent. That is not my experience in my usual travels.... The only aircraft I see boarded (or board myself) by stairs are the Q400's.....

P.S. SYD is busier than MANY US airports.....
The last couple of times I was in Brisbane, Qantas was using the rear exit on domestic flights. Much faster!
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I believe ALB is (one of) the last US airports to have a jetway for both the forward and rear doors. They’re used by WN.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:30 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I believe ALB is (one of) the last US airports to have a jetway for both the forward and rear doors. They’re used by WN.
The airport has since retired them circa last December.

They go back to the early 2000s as part of a trial. WN also had them at AUS/DAL IIRC but soon got rid of them. ALB kept theirs because they were owned/installed by ALB rather than WN. They were modified for the 738s but started to reach the of their service life and the airport decided not to replace them. They were only used at the cockpit's discretion and towards the end they weren't really used because of crews unfamiliarity with them. But boy, did they speed up deplaning. During boarding I remember them being a pain as you would have pax board using the rear door and then try to sit in row 1.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by cmd320
I do think it's sort of funny that every other country in the world seems to have no problem using airstairs and multiple entry/exit doors yet we in the US are unable to cope with it.
Could say the same thing for trains. In the UK, at least, passengers are expected to open the doors themselves. Do it in the US and you get a hefty fine!
lhrsfo and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dliesse
Could say the same thing for trains. In the UK, at least, passengers are expected to open the doors themselves. Do it in the US and you get a hefty fine!
Absolutely. I remember back when they had the ‘slam door’ trains in the UK. Open and close yourself all the time any time.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dliesse
Of course nowadays, opening the doors is simply a matter of pressing a button, similar to calling an elevator. Illuminated means you can open them, no light means they are locked. I think, even in the USA, people could get the hang of that. Of course, climbing a flight of stairs to an airplane really might be too much strain.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by CLT
The airport has since retired them circa last December.

They go back to the early 2000s as part of a trial. WN also had them at AUS/DAL IIRC but soon got rid of them. ALB kept theirs because they were owned/installed by ALB rather than WN. They were modified for the 738s but started to reach the of their service life and the airport decided not to replace them. They were only used at the cockpit's discretion and towards the end they weren't really used because of crews unfamiliarity with them. But boy, did they speed up deplaning. During boarding I remember them being a pain as you would have pax board using the rear door and then try to sit in row 1.
Sad to hear that. I always love driving up the the ALB airport and they're one of the first things you see at the terminal.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:33 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Imstevek
having experienced this plenty when at remote stands in FRA (rain) and NRT (heat) I vote no.
Likewise with BKK (both rain and heat)!
Just no.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.