EWR-FRA loads

Old Jul 21, 20, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
EWR-FRA loads

Looks like LH and UA are tag teaming this route for the time being. Does anyone know what loads are like these days in PE and C on either airline? My priority would be space over amenities. Had a very good TA experience on LH business (747 upper deck) earlier this year pre-pandemic. LH uses 330, UA uses 787. I like to go PE eastbound, C westbound so contemplating LH PE eastbound, UA C westbound. My rationale is UA C on the westbound for distancing in the single window seat vs. LHs 2-2-2. Though I have no doubt the LH soft product is superior, Id be fine just grabbing a few sandwiches in FRA for the journey.

Any insights/suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 20, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
If today's flight from EWR is any indication, it would appear biz and economy went out less than 50% full with Premium Plus slightly more full
Old Jul 21, 20, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by lt1GM View Post
... My priority would be space over amenities. ..... Thanks!
The perfect mantra for Polaris, you should trademark it and sell it to UA.
Old Jul 21, 20, 7:49 pm

Looks like LH and UA are tag teaming this route for the time being. Does anyone know what loads are like these days in PE and C on either airline? My priority would be space over amenities. Had a very good TA experience on LH business (747 upper deck) earlier this year pre-pandemic. LH uses 330, UA uses 787. I like to go PE eastbound, C westbound so contemplating LH PE eastbound, UA C westbound. My rationale is UA C on the westbound for distancing in the single window seat vs. LH‘s 2-2-2. Though I have no doubt the LH soft product is superior, I’d be fine just grabbing a few sandwiches in FRA for the journey.

Honestly, I wouldn’t crunch the numbers too hard over this. All it takes is one flight to cancel, and your flight will be full at the last minute.

All I’m saying is, when you book it, keep tabs on the seat load periodically, but don’t check it every hour/day it’s not worth the effort.
hscottm likes this.
Old Jul 22, 20, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have been looking at this flight a lot and there is always J going out empty. Great chance to clear +Ps and award tickets. Not sure about LH loads but with w flights a day there will be a ton of op either way
mrt88 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 20, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
I have been looking at this flight a lot and there is always J going out empty. ....
You could say that about virtually every single long haul international flight at the moment.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jul 24, 20, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Is the Polaris lounge in EWR open?
Old Jul 24, 20, 7:57 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Polaris lounge still closed. (See the wiki in this active thread: COVID19: ALL Polaris Lounges, Most UCs Temporarily Suspend Ops Due to Reduced Demand )
Old Jul 24, 20, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K View Post
Polaris lounge still closed. (See the wiki in this active thread: COVID19: ALL Polaris Lounges, Most UCs Temporarily Suspend Ops Due to Reduced Demand )
Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 20, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Closing the first half of the loop, took eastbound in PP window bulkhead seat where the seat next to me remained empty. Im 61 with a 32 inseam and had enough space to stretch my legs without touching the bulkhead. 15 out of 21 PP seats occupied total so I did not feel the need to upgrade to Polaris (pricing was $885 right after booking, then dropped to $699 at check-in). In Polaris, 15ish seats filled, probably only around 15% of seats in Economy were occupied. Food was inedible (in anticipation of this, I had brought my own). Service was friendly and efficient, starting right after take off. Movie, Ambien, four hours of sleep, done.

This was my first 787 ride ever, after many 380s and 350s. Really appreciate the higher humidity and lower noise levels of those high composite birds that contributes to a less taxing experience overall.
Old Jul 28, 20, 12:10 am

Closing the first half of the loop, took eastbound in PP window bulkhead seat where the seat next to me remained empty. Im 61 with a 32 inseam and had enough space to stretch my legs without touching the bulkhead. 15 out of 21 PP seats occupied total so I did not feel the need to upgrade to Polaris (pricing was $885 right after booking, then dropped to $699 at check-in). In Polaris, 15ish seats filled, probably only around 15% of seats in Economy were occupied. Food was inedible (in anticipation of this, I had brought my own). Service was friendly and efficient, starting right after take off. Movie, Ambien, four hours of sleep, done.

This was my first 787 ride ever, after many 380s and 350s. Really appreciate the higher humidity and lower noise levels of those high composite birds that contributes to a less taxing experience overall.
Thanks for the DP. Was the food the regulate economy meal? Did they have the regular drink menu including alcoholic beverages?
Old Jul 28, 20, 1:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold, ClubC Gold, National Exec
Can't tell for the EWR-FRA Flight, but I believe most LH flights these days are going at very low capacity. I believe the primary reason the airlines are flying these empty flights right now is because they can carry plenty of cargo underneath the belly. The passengers on top are just extra revenue for whomever wants to fly.

Btw, the LH flight ex-SFO has been going pretty much empty this whole time. All J, PEY, Y are well below full capacity. Have seen the PEY cabin go as low as 1 or 2 pax and Economy less than a 100 most days.
Old Jul 28, 20, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkP24 View Post
Thanks for the DP. Was the food the regulate economy meal? Did they have the regular drink menu including alcoholic beverages?
Not sure if the meal was regular economy, it was certainly disgusting. I didnt eat any of it. It was served on dishes, not plastic, so my guess would be it was a PP meal. There was no menu of any kind, but there were prompt servings of Buffalo Trace - that made me happy. BTW, whatever they served pre-arrival was heated and pre-packaged. I took a bite out of curiosity, immediately regretted it and decided not to look to closely at it until they took it away. Probably a blessing that I may have still been in a bit of an Ambien haze.
MarkP24 and restlessinRNO like this.
Old Jul 28, 20, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by RaSiDa View Post
Can't tell for the EWR-FRA Flight, but I believe most LH flights these days are going at very low capacity. I believe the primary reason the airlines are flying these empty flights right now is because they can carry plenty of cargo underneath the belly. The passengers on top are just extra revenue for whomever wants to fly.

Btw, the LH flight ex-SFO has been going pretty much empty this whole time. All J, PEY, Y are well below full capacity. Have seen the PEY cabin go as low as 1 or 2 pax and Economy less than a 100 most days.
I can vouch for this, took MUC-SFO a few weeks back on LH, 23 pax on the plane. In J we were 4. There was also crew that was coming over to then fly/staff the plane back. Great usage of PP / easy to find I availability. There were more crew than pax in biz, service was awesome! Food was normal, just everything came on the tray in a go. Snacks inflight were basic, but the flight attendant was nice enough to bring me an extra dessert instead

I watched the plane getting loaded waiting in MUC, belly was fully of bulky cargo. Passenger boarding took maybe 5min
Old Jul 28, 20, 5:28 pm

Looks like LH and UA are tag teaming this route for the time being. Does anyone know what loads are like these days in PE and C on either airline? My priority would be space over amenities. Had a very good TA experience on LH business (747 upper deck) earlier this year pre-pandemic. LH uses 330, UA uses 787. I like to go PE eastbound, C westbound so contemplating LH PE eastbound, UA C westbound. My rationale is UA C on the westbound for distancing in the single window seat vs. LHs 2-2-2. Though I have no doubt the LH soft product is superior, Id be fine just grabbing a few sandwiches in FRA for the journey.

"I like to go PE eastbound C Westbound" --my preference is the exact opposite! I can't sleep in PE/E seats, so need C on the overnight flights to Europe. Coming back on the day time flights, PE is fine for me, and I've split the difference in the past.

Maybe it's my age (50s) -- I used to be able to sleep sitting upright in an E seat, but no longer, alas!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: