Wiki Posts
Search

B fare upgrade on long haul?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat/UA 1K/Delta Platinum
B fare upgrade on long haul?

I see a bunch of PN8 etc on an intl long haul flights from asia to ewr. If i purchase a b class fare will i get upgraded to polaris or does this only work on domestic routes?

If i use an MUA do i get thr copay waived.

I'm premier gold.

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ambush276
I see a bunch of PN8 etc on an intl long haul flights from asia to ewr. If i purchase a b class fare will i get upgraded to polaris or does this only work on domestic routes? ...
Only on CPU eligible routes. Not for Polaris marketed routes

... If i use an MUA do i get the copay waived. ....
Yes
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

So even on long haul premium routes i get the copay waived?

Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So even on long haul premium routes i get the copay waived?...
If you purchase the very expensive B fare.

The example was a deep discount economy fare. The upfare to B will be far more than the copay, so if PZ is available at purchase, the discount fare is overall cheaper to upgrade/
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

This flight has PZ and PN both available.

The B class fare is $2434 round trip.

If i pay the $1313, i am trying to understand if i will have to pay the $600 each way on top of that. If that is the case the flight on the B class fare is less than a $100 difference. But in the b class fare i won't have to use any miles (if it is auto upgraded).

So i am trying to understand that ... if this flight has a PZ available, and i pay the $1313 and the 35k miles, do i still have this $600 copay(. If i do, it seems the b class fare is a better deal because it's the roughly the same price but i don't have to use any miles.)
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
So i am trying to understand that ... if this flight has a PZ available, and i pay the $1313 and the 35k miles, do i still have this $600 copay(. If i do, it seems the b class fare is a better deal because it's the roughly the same price but i don't have to use any miles.)
Yes, you have to pay the co-pay. You also still have to pay the miles on a B fare, although it should be fewer of them.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Got it. Thanks for the clarification
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:28 pm

This flight has PZ and PN both available.

The B class fare is $2434 round trip.

If i pay the $1313, i am trying to understand if i will have to pay the $600 each way on top of that. If that is the case the flight on the B class fare is less than a $100 difference. But in the b class fare i won't have to use any miles (if it is auto upgraded). ...
There is no autograde option for B fare on Polaris routes.

. if this flight has a PZ available, and i pay the $1313 and the 35k miles, do i still have this $600 copay(. If i do, it seems the b class fare is a better deal because it's the roughly the same price but i don't have to use any miles.)
For the B fare, there will be no copay but the mileage will be the same. (Only full Y fare gets a reduced mileage)

Best to review UA Mileage Upgrade Awards

35K Miles + $600 sounds like Central Asia / India?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Got it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is no autograde option for B fare on Polaris routes.

For the B fare, there will be no copay but the mileage will be the same. (Only full Y fare gets a reduced mileage)

Best to review UA Mileage Upgrade Awards

35K Miles + $600 sounds like Central Asia / India?

Yes india.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 21, 2020 at 4:22 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 21, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It would be $600 copay each way so you save $79 with the B fare, assuming you get upgraded both ways.
You are rolling the dice with the B fare however; if you don't get the Polaris upgrade on either the outbound or inbound, you lose big. Best to look at the flight loads to make an informed decision. Your upgrade would be PZ, not PN.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry to hijack this, but would OP mind sharing what route(s) and date(s) they are finding PZ space from Asia to EWR? We have been discussing a dearth of PN/PZ space on all TATL routes through the end of the booking window, but if that's changed it would be good to report back!

TPAC upgrade space blocked?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
Sorry to hijack this, but would OP mind sharing what route(s) and date(s) they are finding PZ space from Asia to EWR? ...
OP stated India was origin (on UA, so headed to EWR), the date is clearly stated also.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dkc192
Sorry to hijack this, but would OP mind sharing what route(s) and date(s) they are finding PZ space from Asia to EWR? We have been discussing a dearth of PN/PZ space on all TATL routes through the end of the booking window, but if that's changed it would be good to report back!

TPAC upgrade space blocked?

Del to ewr or sfo has a lot of pn pz during august. (Idk if the del sfo is temporary or a new route)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.