Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leg by train reduces the miles needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Leg by train reduces the miles needed

Hi,

Going LH from FRA>EWR is 77k in Business / going HAJ>FRA>EWR is still 77k in business but if I go ZVR>FRA>EWR (Hannover Train station with Express Rail to Frankfurt Airport station) the price drops to 70k
Is that normal or a new bug?
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I think it's a "bug," but not a new one. UA increased award prices by 10% on itineraries that involve a *A partner flight a few months ago (from 70k to 77k in the case of US-Europe in J), but there has been a known "bug" where having a non-*A partner flight in there (such as EW or EI, or in your case a train) reverts the price back to the old amount.
SPN Lifer and EWR764 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
That makes sense. Thankfully United doesn't recognize the Lufthansa Express Train with an LH "flight" number as a *A partner flight. Beside saving 7k the timing is just better Would have to arrive very early at the airport for a 7am flight or just a few minuted before the 8;40 am train > and connect to the same flight.
trooper likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
I think it's a "bug," but not a new one. UA increased award prices by 10% on itineraries that involve a *A partner flight a few months ago (from 70k to 77k in the case of US-Europe in J), but there has been a known "bug" where having a non-*A partner flight in there (such as EW or EI, or in your case a train) reverts the price back to the old amount.
correct. However, not all non-*A will trigger this. It's a bit random. So Swiss Railways will not trigger it, but an LX flight wet-lease operated by Helvetic will. It's a mess.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Just wanted to say a quick thanks; this thread suggestion allowed me to book a free Excursionist Perk train trip from Vienna to Salzburg. Definitely would not have thought about that as an option if I hadn't seen this post.
blitzen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.