Can't select seats

Old Jul 20, 20, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Can't select seats

I booked my husband and I SFO-PVR round trip in November (hopefully we will be able to go). I know we got the last two seats in first class but I have not been able to actually select our seat assignments. I called UA and was told that they were probably just doing something to the seat map and to try later. It has been 2 days and still nothing. Does this mean that it is actually oversold and we might get bummed back? Thanks
Old Jul 20, 20, 9:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sierranevada View Post
.... Does this mean that it is actually oversold and we might get bummed back? ....
Very unlikely, the are numerous more likely expectations -- keep following up ask about seat blocking (and oversell). What is the presently scheduled aircraft?
Old Jul 20, 20, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Very unlikely, the are numerous more likely expectations -- keep following up ask about seat blocking (and oversell). What is the presently scheduled aircraft?
It's an A319
Old Jul 20, 20, 11:54 am

I booked my husband and I SFO-PVR round trip in November (hopefully we will be able to go). I know we got the last two seats in first class but I have not been able to actually select our seat assignments. I called UA and was told that they were probably just doing something to the seat map and to try later. It has been 2 days and still nothing. Does this mean that it is actually oversold and we might get bummed back? Thanks
My ORD-BRU flight in Sept on a 787-10 was the same way a couple of days before it canceled. I didn’t check to see if it was still bookable, when I couldn’t change seats, but I now suspect they disable the seat map (and obviously bookability) when they know they’re going to be canceling a flight.
Old Jul 20, 20, 12:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
It's an A319
8 seat F or 12 seat F? Typically show the 8 seat F initially
Old Jul 20, 20, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

It's showing 12 seats
Old Jul 20, 20, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
what's the date of the flight?
Old Jul 20, 20, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
what's the date of the flight?
Sat 11/28
Old Jul 20, 20, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The seat maps of all flights that day are completely blocked. Sounds like an UA IT error situation. An agent should be able to assign seats here. Some seats are assigned on 2 of the flights, but they are otherwise completely empty.
Unusual to see that much seat blocking and on every flight ...

Old Jul 20, 20, 6:56 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
319 now (almost) always shows 12 seats
Old Jul 21, 20, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Going to Hard Rock by chance?

It shows seats open in F, have you checked lately?

Map for 8:45am flight - (also open on 7:22am flight)

Old Jul 21, 20, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Sorry just realized I did not specific which flight I was having an issue on. We got our seats on the outbound, 11/21 SFO-PVR #1585 , but can not choose seats for the return, 11/28 PVR-SFO #1243 .
Old Jul 21, 20, 11:11 am

Sorry just realized I did not specific which flight I was having an issue on. We got our seats on the outbound, 11/21 SFO-PVR #1585 , but can not choose seats for the return, 11/28 PVR-SFO #1243 .
The premium cabin on this flight is completely sold out. All seats except two have been assigned to other pax. The two remaining seats are blocked.

Flights around Thanksgiving weekend have been filling up fast and customers are paying top dollars for the privilege to sit in a less crowded cabin with no middle seat, to reduce the risk of catching SARS-CoV-2 (which would be higher in the crowded Economy cabins).

As mentioned above there seems to be fleet-wide seat blocking in effect for the premium cabins on select flights during the Thanksgiving weekend, the two blocked seats may become available when this measure ends.
Old Jul 21, 20, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1B/1E is available, but blocked.
Old Jul 21, 20, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
The premium cabin on this flight is completely sold out. All seats except two have been assigned to other pax. The two remaining seats are blocked.

Flights around Thanksgiving weekend have been filling up fast and customers are paying top dollars for the privilege to sit in a less crowded cabin with no middle seat, to reduce the risk of catching SARS-CoV-2 (which would be higher in the crowded Economy cabins).

As mentioned above there seems to be fleet-wide seat blocking in effect for the premium cabins on select flights during the Thanksgiving weekend, the two blocked seats may become available when this measure ends.
If correct, too bad UA is incapable of communicating this to its customers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: