Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Airline Club Prices1986 Including Red Carpet Club

Airline Club Prices1986 Including Red Carpet Club

Old Jul 20, 20, 3:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER View Post
I'm 33 so I was born a year after this article was written. They said at some TWA Clubs you could "dial into" an work office directory of sorts on an IBM-PC and do work. No idea what that exactly means.
It was a modem to modem connection -- got one computer access to another computer -- terminal window access. Think of it as a telephone connection your remote computer/terminal had with another specific computer-- but with very low rate data. Guess you had to have been there. These terms / concepts are long obsolete. Pre-internet.
SPN Lifer and nnn like this.
Old Jul 20, 20, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Global Entry
For what it is worth, I purchased a lifetime membership with President Club in 2007 at a Continental OnePass Gold Elite rate of $3640.00. Didn’t feel it was worth the price back then as a single guy, but United Club is a blessing to travel with kids now. My biggest fear is... The Coronavirus pandemic will only provide Kutback Kirby with an excuse to eliminated all the amenities to remake United Club a worthless product compared to its peers.
Old Jul 20, 20, 10:19 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by UAL757222 View Post
UA didn’t get into LHR until buying the route authorities from PA in 1991, so the RCC there was indeed inherited from PA

That is most likely the case with NRT too, but I’m not positive. They did fly SEA-NRT beginning in 1983 (their first true international route), so it’s possible they opened a club then before acquiring the PAA Pacific Network (1986).
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW View Post
In 1991, I was in the Red Carpet Club in NRT. If I remember correctly, the Pan Am logo was still present on the wood panel walls throughout the very elegant, intimate club..
I remember UA taking over the PA club very well. The back portion with a lot of the seating was entirely round with chairs and side tables built-in and against the walls. Everyone sat facing everyone else! Never seen a layout like that since. And yes, lots of things had the PA logo for quite a while.

Originally Posted by acregal View Post
The old RCC didn't have attendants and instead had a passcode to enter.
ORD-CLE also saw 767s at various points as well.
Didn't DFW also have a pass code to enter? The club was very small, not very well signed and the entrance door itself was indistinguishable from any door to the other offices nearby. I don't recall any staff there other than to clean up on from time to time. Intimate is really the right word for these early lounges. Few beverage or food options, but plenty of newspapers and a quiet place to relax before your flight.
Old Jul 21, 20, 2:36 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
It was a modem to modem connection -- got one computer access to another computer -- terminal window access. Think of it as a telephone connection your remote computer/terminal had with another specific computer-- but with very low rate data. Guess you had to have been there. These terms / concepts are long obsolete. Pre-internet.
Is this how it worked?
Old Jul 21, 20, 4:54 am
iwc

Originally Posted by PacificClipper View Post
Was the HNL RCC a former PA Clipper Club? I feel like I read that somewhere but I think PA used the Ewa concourse, not the Diamond Head concourse.
No, you are right about them being in two different concourses.
Old Jul 21, 20, 8:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by seat38a View Post
Is this how it worked? ....
That was one version and it sounded like this
See Dial Up Modem Sound | What Was That Dial Up Internet Sound? for more

But we are getting far off topic for this thread.
st3 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 21, 20 at 8:53 am Reason: fixed link
Old Jul 21, 20, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Seat 38A:

I experienced the Pan Am Clipper Clubs at JFK, IAD, DCA, MIA, GIG (Rio de Janeiro), LHR, and Paris; maybe more. Mostly from the late 70s to the mid 80s. Mostly because I was on business or first tickets. I never paid for a “membership”. They were nicely appointed- I remember lots of blue and gold- nautical motif.

I had a vividly memorable experience around 1985 at the MIA club. Was traveling from DC to Brazil for a week- and then on to Argentina. My office booked me economy class and I used miles to upgrade to business (Clipper Class). That got me lounge access. When I entered the Miami Clipper Club the lady looked at my ticket (old fashioned paper tickets back then) and she told me I was going to get in trouble when I landed in Rio and they saw my ticket because the Brazilians back them took issue with frequent flyer mile tickets. She sent me back to the ticket counter where an agent she’d called ahead to expect me rewrote my ticket. 20 minutes later I was back in the Clipper Club -she examined my ticket and said “good to go.” About 30 minutes later she came over and gave me a new boarding pass- in first class to Rio.

I thanked her for the treat- and for heading off problems in Brazil. I have no idea what she wrote in my reservation but every flight after that on that ticket on Pan Am, Varig, Lufthansa, and Air France, when I checked in the airline agents looked in their computers, smiled, and informed my I’d just been upgraded to first class. Why all this happened is still a mystery to me. But those were the good old days of air travel. Fondest memories of Pan Am.

As far as the amenities in the Clipper Clubs I just plain don’t remember much. They were nice but not much better in general than the domestic US carrier lounges- AA, DL, UA. And I’ve been several times in the Frankfurt Lufthansa first class terminal, Singapore’s first class lounge at SIN, Thai first lounge at BKK etc. The current day best of class are much nicer than the old Pan Am Clipper clubs. That said, since Pan Am’s days the airlines have just become ruthlessly efficient. I’m sure that Miami Clipper club lady wouldn’t last a day in today’s environment. But she sure left a big impression on me!
cerealmarketer, nnn and seat38a like this.
Old Jul 21, 20, 8:38 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by greg View Post
Seat 38A:

I experienced the Pan Am Clipper Clubs at JFK, IAD, DCA, MIA, GIG (Rio de Janeiro), LHR, and Paris; maybe more. Mostly from the late 70s to the mid 80s. Mostly because I was on business or first tickets. I never paid for a “membership”. They were nicely appointed- I remember lots of blue and gold- nautical motif.

I had a vividly memorable experience around 1985 at the MIA club. Was traveling from DC to Brazil for a week- and then on to Argentina. My office booked me economy class and I used miles to upgrade to business (Clipper Class). That got me lounge access. When I entered the Miami Clipper Club the lady looked at my ticket (old fashioned paper tickets back then) and she told me I was going to get in trouble when I landed in Rio and they saw my ticket because the Brazilians back them took issue with frequent flyer mile tickets. She sent me back to the ticket counter where an agent she’d called ahead to expect me rewrote my ticket. 20 minutes later I was back in the Clipper Club -she examined my ticket and said “good to go.” About 30 minutes later she came over and gave me a new boarding pass- in first class to Rio.

I thanked her for the treat- and for heading off problems in Brazil. I have no idea what she wrote in my reservation but every flight after that on that ticket on Pan Am, Varig, Lufthansa, and Air France, when I checked in the airline agents looked in their computers, smiled, and informed my I’d just been upgraded to first class. Why all this happened is still a mystery to me. But those were the good old days of air travel. Fondest memories of Pan Am.

As far as the amenities in the Clipper Clubs I just plain don’t remember much. They were nice but not much better in general than the domestic US carrier lounges- AA, DL, UA. And I’ve been several times in the Frankfurt Lufthansa first class terminal, Singapore’s first class lounge at SIN, Thai first lounge at BKK etc. The current day best of class are much nicer than the old Pan Am Clipper clubs. That said, since Pan Am’s days the airlines have just become ruthlessly efficient. I’m sure that Miami Clipper club lady wouldn’t last a day in today’s environment. But she sure left a big impression on me!
Thanks for sharing! So except for staff, sounds like Polaris Lounges beat anything from the good ole days of PanAm.
Old Jul 23, 20, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
Originally Posted by greg View Post
Seat 38A:

The MIA Pan Am Club definitely became a United RCC Club until the Early 2000s when they shut down the Focus City. I think I was there briefly in 2000 and it really hasn't changed much as Club America: https://www.yelp.com/biz/club-america-miami?start=20
Old Jul 26, 20, 8:49 pm

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Originally Posted by st530 View Post
Correct. On the way to a "guys trip" to AMS in 2011, two of my buddies put down 4 shots each of Jose Cuervo gold at the IAH E PC (now UC) bar. All free.

Pre-*A I used to fly NW a lot when they were quasi partners (and fellow ST-ers) with CO, and I really liked the NW WorldClubs in Terminal A at DTW, where all the booze and wine was self-serve at least until 2009, when I stopped flying NW.
It has been a year, or two, but last time I visited the DTW SkyClub self-serve was still the practice.
Old Jul 27, 20, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
Originally Posted by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER View Post
The MIA Pan Am Club definitely became a United RCC Club until the Early 2000s when they shut down the Focus City. I think I was there briefly in 2000 and it really hasn't changed much as Club America: https://www.yelp.com/biz/club-america-miami?start=20
LOL those reviews are . . . sad.
Old Jul 27, 20, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA PRO 1MM, BA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by uanj View Post
The free drink chits were only two per person in international business or first class though. You could accumulate them and use them whenever you wanted, but only got them when flying long haul in business or first.
Used to love connecting through ORD on international trips as I would drag my wife around to each RCC and pick up four sets of two chits for each of us, then hoard them for later use. I'm not sure why she went along with that and considering I still have some in my desk, certainly not a good use of time!!
iluv2fly and uanj like this.
Old Jul 28, 20, 12:46 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by River in Sight View Post
Used to love connecting through ORD on international trips as I would drag my wife around to each RCC and pick up four sets of two chits for each of us, then hoard them for later use. I'm not sure why she went along with that and considering I still have some in my desk, certainly not a good use of time!!
Oh wow! I am shocked there was a trick that my colleagues missed! It never occurred to me to lounge hop like that!
River in Sight likes this.

Last edited by uanj; Jul 28, 20 at 12:56 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: