Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Covid. Direct flight or Indirect, flatbed, more distanced

Old Jul 11, 20, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Hi all

I was booked SFO to BOS direct on the lie flat seats they were flying that route. Now its changed to recliner seats

Wondering what people would choose (largely for safety)
-Keep the direct flight. I'd be sitting beside some random person, F cabin on united flights on this route are pretty full
-Switch to a flight with stop over in NYC, what still has flatbeds. The SFO to NYC flight has 1-2-1 configuration so I can sit completely alone and the seats are longer so people in front and behind me are further away. But thats one more airport to travel through and 2x planes / people / crew
Old Jul 11, 20, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Easy. Nonstop.
adambadam likes this.
Old Jul 11, 20, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Direct vs. Indirect does not matter.

Nonstop vs. connection does. I would take the nonstop.
1. You will be on a standard single aisle 2-2 for EWR-BOS anyway.
2. One more location, e.g. EWR with that many more people to encounter.
3. Even pre-Covid, I would take the nonstop over a connection.
Old Jul 11, 20, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Easy. Mint. Nonstop, lie-flat.
emag_eh7, sincx, SF_DUKE and 9 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 20, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
We each have our preferences. I'd take the connection, but not because of COVID, but because of comfort. The greater separation is a bonus. From a COVID perspective the key is to practice all precautions as you travel through EWR. Wash hands on arrival, move directly to connecting gate, have sanitizer available for your hands pre-boarding as you may touch seating surfaces and keep the mask on at all times.
Old Jul 11, 20, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Often1 EWR-BOS is an embracer-xxx in a 1-2 config but your other points still stand
Kacee I wish, thats 1K, and united already has 2K of my flight credit, I don't really want to keep lending them money and buying flights elsewhere
Old Jul 11, 20, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Nappes View Post
Often1 EWR-BOS is an embracer-xxx in a 1-2 config but your other points still stand
Kacee I wish, thats 1K, and united already has 2K of my flight credit, I don't really want to keep lending them money and buying flights elsewhere
then get a refund from United. The change from lie-flat to angled should allow for that.
cuthroat and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 11, 20, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Nappes View Post
I wish, thats 1K, and united already has 2K of my flight credit, I don't really want to keep lending them money and buying flights elsewhere
I've walked away from 1K and not regretted it for a moment. That said, I hear you on burning the existing credit.

Personally, if I could afford the extra time, I'd take the connection through EWR and a single on the E75. Flight delays and missed connections are much less of a concern now with the reduced schedules.
Old Jul 11, 20, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Personally, if I could afford the extra time, I'd take the connection through EWR and a single on the E75. Flight delays and missed connections are much less of a concern now with the reduced schedules.
Basic logic suggests that if someone contagious is near you that your chance of infection is an increasing function of intensity of exposure. Physics and logic imply suggest that intensity is linear in time and inverse square in distance (more speculatively: masks and barriers increase the effective distance): intensity = K * time / (distance^2) and sum over conceivably the rest of humanity (though inverse square dominates pretty quickly...).

So that basically means that doubling the distance cancels out quadrupling the time or the number of infected people you contact. So even a hypothetical Polaris midcon and a midcon in Y with a couple of hours in a lounge is probably similar risk to a transcon in domestic recliner F. A transcon in Polaris with an RJ connection is safer than either (and a routing in J like SFO-FRA-BOS is probably not far off SFO-BOS recliner... hell, I'd be comfortable saying that from a risk perspective SFO-DOH-BOS in a suite is safer than transcon F).
Old Jul 11, 20, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl View Post
Basic logic suggests that if someone contagious is near you that your chance of infection is an increasing function of intensity of exposure. Physics and logic imply suggest that intensity is linear in time and inverse square in distance (more speculatively: masks and barriers increase the effective distance): intensity = K * time / (distance^2) and sum over conceivably the rest of humanity (though inverse square dominates pretty quickly...).

So that basically means that doubling the distance cancels out quadrupling the time or the number of infected people you contact. So even a hypothetical Polaris midcon and a midcon in Y with a couple of hours in a lounge is probably similar risk to a transcon in domestic recliner F. A transcon in Polaris with an RJ connection is safer than either (and a routing in J like SFO-FRA-BOS is probably not far off SFO-BOS recliner... hell, I'd be comfortable saying that from a risk perspective SFO-DOH-BOS in a suite is safer than transcon F).
None of that has anything to do with the OP's question.

5.5 hours SFO-BOS with a seat mate six inches away on a narrowbody, and two more within 37-48 inches behind you is surely higher risk from a physics standpoint than 5 hours SFO-EWR in an enclosed pod on a 781 at least 60 inches away from anyone, plus 45 minutes in a single on an E75.

Besides that, I'd take the connection for the comfort. I find a recliner extremely uncomfortable for anything over two hours.
Old Jul 11, 20, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'd do the connection and lie flat personally.

Although as others have said, Mint is probably the best option, especially if you can get your money back from UA.
Old Jul 11, 20, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank for the advice, I chose the connection. I could do Mint for just me, but it seems silly to burn 1K to lower the risk on the outbound just for me, unless we also do it on the return with my fam and thats another 3K

Kacee We have crossed paths on our hatred on Dom F before https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31970478-post3.html
NoLaGent and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 11, 20, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Honestly, in this case I would not mind SFO-EWR-BOS - the Northeast is the only part of the country with okay COVID trajectory at the moment. I would think connecting traffic is fairly low ATM. If comfort is at a premium for you, I would make the connection. That said, you have to wear a mask the whole flight anyways - if you can't sleep on a lie-flat with a mask on, it might not matter anyways.
Old Jul 11, 20, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
I don't mean to be snarky, but if you are THAT concerned with Covid and social distancing, you shouldn't be traveling at all right now, and for the foreseeable future in the U.S. You are never going to be six feet or more from others at all times through an airport or on a plane.

Yes I know, people might have a really good reason to travel, to see an ill or dying relative or something. (I have recently been in that boat too.) But clearly the numbers indicate the U.S. is pretty much out of control right now. So travel at your own risk.

These are tough choices we will all have to be making for a while.

(ETA: So, to directly answer the question, go with the most convenient flight schedule if you decide you must travel.)
cmd320, lhrsfo, st3 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 20, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bear96 View Post
I don't mean to be snarky, but if you are THAT concerned with Covid and social distancing, you shouldn't be traveling at all right now, and for the foreseeable future in the U.S. You are never going to be six feet or more from others at all times through an airport or on a plane.
That's not how I read the OP. Travel right now is all about minimizing risk, not eliminating it entirely, and that's what I understand OP's focus to be.

I have something like 20 segments flown since everything blew up in mid-March. Every single one I've done everything I possibly could to stay as far from others as possible at every stage of the journey - for their protection as well as mine.
hhdl, SPN Lifer, ryw and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: